Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • CamelBak H.A.W.G. NV……opinions…..
  • alpin
    Free Member

i need a decent bag for the summer as i'll be guiding across the alps. a few handy pockets for camera, maps, bit'n'bobs etc and needs to be around 20ltr.

my current 21ltr Vaude hiking pack isn't a bad bag in itself, but isn't long/deep enough and sits perched up on my back and, as such, it's weight shifts about too much. it also lacks any decent compression straps and usable pockets, having only one large main compartment plus a small front section that can't easily be got to when full.

looked at the HAWG NV in the shop the other day. it seems to fit the bill nicely. i like the compression/outside carry system and the fact you don't need to empty the bag to get to the drink bladder.

i can also get 20% off thanks to one of my students having previously shagged the owner of the bike shop.

anyone have any experience of using this bag?

thanks,

J

soobalias
    Free Member

ive got one, had a hawg back in 2004 which i loved and ultimately gave to a riding buddy.

the nv is bigger, better ventilated with more pockets and much bigger capability than the original.

thats a downside for me actually as its too big/heavy to use for short rides and now will only get used on full on missions or camping-lite trips

thats of no help at all is it. 🙁

alpin
    Free Member

sounds ideal then. i'll be riding for 7-8 days at a time and having to carry a first aid kit, water proofs, maps, extra water (750ml in case one of the guests gets excited and drinks all theirs too quickly), and some of the guests gear if they're struggling on the ups…..

WackoAK
    Free Member

I've had one for about 6 months now, bomb proof thus far. Also handy that you can store your helmet in the front webbing type pouch if you are about to go on a long climb. Can't say I notice the weight.

soobalias
    Free Member

its the weight empty that really gets me, its not so bad once its on.

alpin, you will easily get all that in, plus a couple of full face lids and shin pads hanging off!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘CamelBak H.A.W.G. NV……opinions…..’ is closed to new replies.