Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Calling motorcyclist cheapskates: grip glue or hairspray?
  • konabunny
    Free Member

Need to replace the shagged-out grips on my scooter. Bought the grips. Do I really need “grip glue” or will hairspray work just fine, same as with bicycles? If it makes a difference, I am in a warmer climate…

Sancho
    Free Member

I use ODI lock-ons

fourbanger
    Free Member

Grip glue holds grips on. Hairspray is for hair.

samsibke
    Free Member

Hair spray works fine

billysugger
    Free Member

Where are you konabunny and are there any jobs going?

I’ll buy you some grip glue and bring it with me.

konabunny
    Free Member

Australia; maybe – check the Skilled Occupation List: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/

seizednuts
    Free Member

A little squirt of spray paint works every time for me.
    Doesnt matter what colour just be careful of over spray.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Aerosol spray paint here.

You can use clear lacquer so overspray isn’t a problem.

Just degrease the bars properly, spray the bars and inside the grips, bang ’em on and you are sorted.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Hairspray always works a treat without them coming lose again

mr-brightside
    Free Member

yep ive used hairspray, ive also heard a few drops of petrol will do the job just as well,

cr500dom
    Free Member

Wd40 and lock wire
    Never had a set come loose yet !
    Wd40 allows them to slide on but then makes the rubber tacky too
    Once the solvent evaporates they stick really well
    Lock wire is really just to pull a tight seal against water ingress, as they can come loose without it
    HTH
    Dom

motox2k
    Free Member

wickes general glue, used it for the past 10 year on motocross bikes without issue, it seems to be identical to renthal grip glue to me.

IainGillam
    Free Member

Wrap electrical tape round the bars, wash out the grips with petrol and put them on quickly.

Iain

chipps

I’ve always used WD40 to put my mountain bike grips on. Works every time. No glue ever needed.

konabunny
    Free Member

Thank you all.

martinxyz
    Free Member

If i cant put them on by hand i use a pump.

Chemicals cause problems. Paint flakes and is probably the silliest idea ever to be put in a big mag (mbuk 5 years ago?)glue is good for heated grips on motorbikes (hence getting a tube WITH the grips)and electrical tape goes into a soggy mush after a year or two. I wish folk would quit doing this.. its a nightmare to remove off their bikes!

martinxyz
    Free Member

If i cant put them on by hand i use a pump.

Chemicals cause problems. Paint flakes and is probably the silliest idea ever to be put in a big mag (mbuk 5 years ago?)glue is good for heated grips on motorbikes (hence getting a tube WITH the grips)and electrical tape goes into a soggy mush after a year or two. I wish folk would quit doing this.. its a nightmare to remove off their bikes!

Moose/ODI do motorcycle grips.

konabunny
    Free Member

Too late (for this vehicle, at least) with the ODI suggestions (but maybe next time once I sell it) but thank you anyway.

How would you use a pump? I don’t understand.

martinxyz
    Free Member

It works best with an old fashion pump and closed end grips (with the wee hole in the rubber) You place the pump with no flexi connector against the hole,get someone to put their hand over the open end of the bars on the other side.. and pump it on.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Calling motorcyclist cheapskates: grip glue or hairspray?’ is closed to new replies.