Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Calling builders/architects with flintwork experience
  • Taff
    Free Member

I’m doing an extension for some friends and it’s partly napped flint. My construction method so far is:

flint facework [brick quoins to openings]
    75mm backing blockwork
    50mm clear cavity
    50mm PIR
    100mm block

My problem is detailing at openings where the window needs to be located on the outer skin to match the rest of the houses. I don’t know if I should stop the 75mm block shy of the reveal so that I may run a joined set of thermabates [175mm’s worth] or whether I should turn the internal leaf 90 degrees.

Not sure if that makes sense in written format. Just doing some details at the moment so will post for opinions.

Anyone got any ideas? Going to raid the Mitchells books at work and any others that may be relevent but struggling tonight.

Many thanks in advance

aP
    Free Member

Try phoning Linda Watson at Plymouth school of architecture for some help.

Taff
    Free Member

Jesus, there’s a name from the past!!!

leebaxter
    Free Member

you could use surecav. then you dont need the 75mm blockwork.

Taff
    Free Member

Lee – you are awesome!

Didn’t even think of surecav and typically I’m flicking through prouct cards at work and what’s in the middle of the file…

Many thanks.

aP
    Free Member

Taff – did you study at Plymouth? Now they’ve knocked down the Hoe Centre…

Taff
    Free Member

I did study there [2000-2004] and lived in Plymouth until 2007.

was gutted to see the Hoe Centre knocked down in a way but then again it was a death trap and I can’t say I enjoyed sleeping in my drawing room – creepy!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Calling builders/architects with flintwork experience’ is closed to new replies.