Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Calling all Java Gurus
  • molgrips
    Free Member

You have to cut your cloth to suit.

Some projects are time pressured. That’s how it is. Actual code is more important than unit tests for sure.

j_me
    Free Member

Actual code is more important than unit tests

…. depends on the quality of the code 😉

I only chipped in to point out the difference between Test Driven Development and writing Unit Tests.

Writing lots of unit tests, or thinking how your code can be tested before writing it is not TDD.

mogrim

Yes it will mean there will be a LOT of tests, but thats no bad thing is it ?

It is when the only thing they’re testing is delegated calls to a hibernate style data framework, which is what happened on one project I was running. The client insisted on all public methods having tests, so we ended up spending loads of his money writing pointless unit tests. Soul-destroying for my team, and expensive for him. Idiot.

The framework also meant endless get/set, too.

I fully agree that they’re great in a lot of cases, though.

GrahamS

Or using some framework that requires it.

A framework that requires lots of getters and setters sounds a bit broken. But yes, that could be a reason.

But (as I’m sure you know) the whole point of getters/setters is that they can contain functionality and hide implementation details – so there can be errors in there which can be found by unit tests.

Does the phrase ‘teaching your grandmother to suck eggs’ mean anything to you?

If you mean you’ve stopped trying to learn from the experiences of your professional peers then fair enough 🙂

My point is, unit tests have their place, but dogma usually doesn’t.

No dogma here, I said unit testing was always “a good thing”. I believe that to be true. I don’t always do it tho – depends what the client wants and what the budget allows (as you rightly say).

molgrips
    Free Member

If you mean you’ve stopped trying to learn from the experiences of your professional peers then fair enough

If you came out with experiences that weren’t already obvious to someone of my experience then I’d be happy to learn 😉

The lead developer on the project in question issued a dictat saying we had to have 90% unit test coverage. The only way to achieve that was to unit test methods that just set a member. Valuable use of client time and money I think not.

GrahamS

Writing lots of unit tests, or thinking how your code can be tested before writing it is not TDD.

We know. No one said otherwise.

But unit testing is the basis of TDD, hence the bit where I said “Unit Testing is always a good thing, especially when properly automated – but full TDD isn’t always useful.”

molgrips
    Free Member

Have you lot ever worked on a project that was fully and adequately specced before development started?

j_me
    Free Member

I wasn’t referring to any of your posts GrahamS

GrahamS

Have you lot ever worked on a project that was fully and adequately specced before development started?

Nope, but I’ve worked on plenty of safety-critical systems (medical, military, financial) where they don’t like it much when stuff goes wrong.

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, so the way you develop safety critical stuff isn’t the way you develop non-critical web based apps, say 🙂

j_me
    Free Member

the project in question issued a dictat saying we had to have 90% unit test coverage

Not unusual – I believe there’s quite a few of the OS projects now demand 80-90% coverage.

mogrim

A framework that requires lots of getters and setters sounds a bit broken. But yes, that could be a reason

Fairly common in Java web frameworks, JSF and IceFaces for example require it.

mogrim

Not unusual – I believe there’s quite a few of the OS projects now demand 80-90% coverage.

Which as diktat is stupid – I’d like 100% coverage on the important stuff, and closer to 0% on the boilerplate.

GrahamS

The lead developer on the project in question issued a dictat saying we had to have 90% unit test coverage. The only way to achieve that was to unit test methods that just set a member. Valuable use of client time and money I think not.

Personally I’d probably have used something like unitils to automatically test the getters/setters (or just written my own using BeanUtils).

Huge code coverage increase, minimal impact on time, budget or morale 😀

GrahamS

Right, so the way you develop safety critical stuff isn’t the way you develop non-critical web based apps, say

Yeah I’m mainly talking about proper software engineering of important systems, not just hacking about on the web 😀

Which as diktat is stupid – I’d like 100% coverage on the important stuff, and closer to 0% on the boilerplate.

The guiding principle of unit testing should be “test everything which can possibly break” and as demonstrated the “boilerplate” can break.

But yeah, I agree that testing the bits that are more likely to break is a good approach on systems that are non-critical and don’t have the budget for proper full testing.

mogrim

The guiding principle of unit testing should be “test everything which can possibly break” and as demonstrated the “boilerplate” can break.

But yeah, I agree that testing the bits that are more likely to break is a good approach on systems that are non-critical and don’t have the budget for proper full testing.

You’re assuming end-to-end responsability for the entire system, though – if the client demands I use, say, Hibernate, I’m not about to test it. If it goes wrong it’s his problem, not mine!

And technically speaking it’s not “hacking about on the web”, it’s “well-paid minimal-risk programming”. 🙂

j_me
    Free Member

if the client demands I use, say, Hibernate, I’m not about to test it. If it goes wrong it’s his problem, not mine!

All the more reason to test YOUR boiler plate code.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I’m mainly talking about proper software engineering of important systems, not just hacking about on the web

I meant enterprise systems with a web front end, not silly websites.

If time is at a premium I’d rely on system testing. My principles involve writing code that is so clear and simple that every block of code is obvious as to whether or not it works just by looking at it. Integration is where you are most likely to get bugs, which is where system testing comes in.

If I’d commissioned a system and they were spending my money testing to see if the line a = b; does indeed result in a being equal to b, I’d be bloody annoyed.

That’s what we ended up doing with the 90% coverage thing.

But we do seem to agree with what I said originally, which is that you would set your working practices according to the customer’s situation.

GrahamS

You’re assuming end-to-end responsability for the entire system, though – if the client demands I use, say, Hibernate, I’m not about to test it. If it goes wrong it’s his problem, not mine!

Hibernate would be covered by normal Verification and Validation (V&V) of Off-The-Shelf (OTS) software, as per the Capability Maturity Model or similar.

So no you wouldn’t write unit tests to test Hibernate. That would be daft. But you would (ideally) still test your classes that interface with Hibernate (though if they were really just data POJOs with no logic then I’d probably test them automatically as mentioned).

I meant enterprise systems with a web front end, not silly websites.

I know, I’m just tweaking your leash for suggesting I have no valuable experience to add 🙂

But we do seem to agree with what I said originally, which is that you would set your working practices according to the customer’s situation.

We are. Compromise is part of the job.

(Incidentally, I’ve done 100% code coverage projects! Now that sucks!)

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Java Gurus?
    Is this a bit like the Kama Sutra? 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

(though if they were really just data POJOs with no logic then I’d probably test them automatically as mentioned).

Why bother at all? So you could get a 100% coverage figure?

I know, I’m just tweaking your leash for suggesting I have no valuable experience to add

That in turn was in jest as I am sure you understand.

I once wrote a booking system for a hotel on my own under extremely difficult circumstances. Finished the last thing at 3am one morning, emailed the lady to say the code was done and it was deployed, thinking we’d start some testing. 11am the following day, got in to the office and there were 4 call centre girls taking bookings on it!

Worked absolutely fine, couple of minor bugs. All due to my transparent code 🙂

j_me
    Free Member

Incidentally, I’ve done 100% code coverage projects! Now that sucks!)

Still no guarantee of bug free code – shhhhh – but dont tell the PM 🙂

GrahamS

Why bother at all? So you could get a 100% coverage figure?

Because, as demonstrated, even simple, no-logic, no-validation getter/setters can have bugs (and can be quite prone to them, as people will copy-paste them and they will be barely glanced at during all but the most diligent code review).

If you think testing getter/setters makes no sense in Java then try my earlier example but this time in C#:

class DepositAccount
    {
    public int Balance { get; set; }
    public int AccountID { get; set; }
    }

Now that has nothing worth testing.

molgrips
    Free Member

Because, as demonstrated, even simple, no-logic, no-validation getter/setters can have bugs

Only if you really try to put them in there!

What about peer reviews? Buddy programming? Component level testing? All alternatives that have less overhead imo.

GrahamS

Only if you really try to put them in there!

Typos and copy-paste errors happen. In my experience, complex code can sometimes have less bugs in it than the simple stuff – purely because the complex stuff catches peoples eye, it makes them think and so it will be carefully examined during code reviews, walkthroughs and subsequent coding.

All alternatives that have less overhead imo.

I wouldn’t cite any of them as alternatives. They all complement unit testing.

And what “overhead”? I already pointed out you could always automate the simple no-logic testing. Even if you don’t and you choose to write it by hand, what are we really talking about: a couple of extra lines in your unit tests for that class. Probably take less than a minute to write.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you unit test and system test, you’ve done a 100% thorough job. If you only system test, you’ve done a 99% thorough job in maybe half the time.

Like I say, it depends on the project and the customer. And what you consider a unit.

This discussion needs an exit clause.

GrahamS

A system level test will barely touch the sides in terms of coverage.
    And in terms of overhead, I’d much rather a silly bug was quickly found by the developer that wrote it without anyone else seeing it, rather than it making it up to component/system level where some tester finds it, raises a bug report, which a PM has to assign and monitor, and some other developer has to investigate, fix then provide a test showing it was fixed and fill out bug tracking information.

Anyway Exit clause:

if (time.IsBedtime())
    exit(Status.SLEEPY)

j_me
    Free Member

What about peer reviews?

– Its easier to review tests than code.

Buddy programming?

– One for the price of two !

Component level testing?

– ????

static {
    statuts = “GoodNightJohnBoy”;
    }

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Ones where the entire project isn’t completely and fully specified or even understood up front. Which is most, in my experience

agreed – but that is one of the drivers for XP/Agile and TDD, with short iteration releases to the client to mitigate this problem. The ‘client’ may only be internal, such as a local domain expert that wants to see how the release is progressing and address any issues that may have come to light from an inconsistency/incompleteness of the external clients specification – delivering early allows time for this to be addressed before the final release to the client.

With TDD you write tests to prove the functionality that you are delivering for this release – the code does not have to be perfect/interfaces do not have to be complete – the priority is only to satisfy the tests.

Obviously the developer is probably under time pressure, so instead of making the code perfect she should make the tests perfect.

Then you tackle the functionality required for the next release, so you write tests to prove that functionality, refactoring as you go along to ensure the code remains/reaches a decent state. The refactoring is protected by the tests being in place, without the tests the refactoring is risky.

If the required functionality changes along the release cycle you may need to refactor the tests, or you may need to refactor them if functionality moves between classes.

The point of pair programming is to have two people thinking up the tests, which, like debugging, is often more efficient than leaving it to one person. Writing the actual code is the trivial part.

Having a suite of automatically run unit tests and, where possible, automatically run system tests, leads to much more stable and mature systems. If a bug is found the first thing to do is to write the missing test that would have exposed it, then to fix it.

Code reviews have much less relevance nowadays as it is more difficult to grock what the code is doing from just reading it. Peer reviews were one developer explains the code and functionality to another are much more useful.

Making excuses such as TDD is not appropriate to this project or there isn’t time to write the tests is just making shortcuts and increasing the risk of developing a project that is going to fail.

TDD also often forces a better design as components have to be written in a manner where they can be tested in isolation and therefore have clearly defined interfaces and roles/responsibilities.

The tests are to test logic, testing getters and settings is pedantic. If possible classes should be made immutable anyway. Testing that all properties are set after construction can be surprisingly useful, however 🙁

It is also often useful to write tests (integration?) tests to prove that a library/framework behaves as you are expecting in your application, not to just assume that it works that way because the documentation says so. It also protects you from breakages when you update that framework.

allthepies
    Free Member

Obviously the developer is probably under time pressure, so instead of making the code perfect she should make the tests perfect.

Sexist!

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Code reviews have much less relevance nowadays as it is more difficult to grock what the code is doing from just reading it

I would disagree in my area of enterprise application development. Mostly you are just tying APIs together, and the code itself is very noddy.

As for buddy programming – two developers often work more than twice as fast as one, ime. No time for daydreaming, surfing STW or general slacking.

Turner guy seems to be talking about large systems undergoing continuous development and maintenance within an organisation. Like I keep saying, these approaches are all tools you can deploy if appropriate.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have also used TDD style for smaller projects and love the feeeling of solidity you get from it – the time taken writing the tests is easily compensated for by the lack of the traditional debugging.

Before using that style I would like to walk through new code in the debugger, as recommended in “writing solid code”, but find the need less now. And when using ‘technologies’ like xslt using TDD style tests to prove the logic you want is invaluable, as it often doesn’t work as you think it should from looking at the code.

With mickey mouse languages like Java and C# I feel TDD is essential, but have used it with C++ to good effect.

Async stuff is a problem still, but it is better than nothing.

GrahamS

The tests are to test logic, testing getters and settings is pedantic.

Yes, yes it is. Aren’t tests supposed to be pedantic??
    I don’t test to prove that it is more or less basically right, give or take.

Likewise I use a compiler set to -pedantic, I am pedantic about fixing warnings and I use pedantic tools like lint, StyleCop, BullsEye, etc.

Code reviews have much less relevance nowadays as it is more difficult to grock what the code is doing from just reading it. Peer reviews were one developer explains the code and functionality to another are much more useful.

The trouble with peer-reviews is that it is like someone reading you an essay they wrote, rather than reading it yourself. It is easier to understand their intent, but much harder to spot basic errors.

If the code is hard to grock then it is poorly written and documented. A future maintenance programmer may not have the luxury of the original author on hand to explain it – so it should be understandable without him/her.

molgrips
    Free Member

Exactly.

I like to write code that’s so obvious it doesn’t need documentation apart from on a high level.

mogrim

grock

?

Grok, surely. And if you fail at that level of basic geekdom, I don’t want you anywhere near my code!

And don’t talk to me about coding standards that make you javadoc every single method, member, … 🙄

j_me
    Free Member

code that’s so obvious it doesn’t need documentation apart from on a high level

So its undocumented as well as untested….
    …..oh the horror, the HORROR ! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

So its undocumented as well as untested….

But working perfectly, delivered before the deadline and under budget to a very happy client.. How is such sorcery possible?!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Grok, surely

that was a trap to catch the true geeks who would correct the spelling error…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The trouble with peer-reviews is that it is like someone reading you an essay they wrote, rather than reading it yourself. It is easier to understand their intent, but much harder to spot basic errors.

Whereas just reading code used to be useful in the days of simpler coding styles/languages, nowadays it can be less easy to see the full intent of the code by just looking at it, with active objects, event handling, etc.

Therefore having the author explaining the code and intent of the system to the reviewer(s), possibly at her terminal tends to offer high value as well as low overhead and is worth doing. Old style code-reading is rarely worthwhile.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not a geek, that’s why I’m good at my job 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Calling all Java Gurus’ is closed to new replies.