Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Call of duty
  • slowuphill
    Free Member

my son has been badgering me to buy the new Call of duty game. The game looks great and has some rave reviews. My problem is that he is only 11 and it is an 18 rated game. Why are these games rated 18? is it that they are really violent and will turn him into a killer. Or is there load of swearing? or is it realyy hard to play? I also have 2 younger kids that will also wnat to watch /play.

Carpediem
    Free Member

I Imagine the the same body that classifies film/ DVD’s in the UK are responsible for classifying games ( correct me If Im wrong)

Ask yourself would you allow your boys to watch an 18 film?
    Base your answer on that.

1nten5e
    Free Member

Lots of F words in the single player game cut-scenes (too much for an 11 year old I think)….the online part of the game would IMO be ok for him.

Davesport

If it’s anything like the previous game/s of C.o.D it’s because of the violence, gore & swearing. Some of the language from the other players is a little fruity as well. Judging by the previous games I’d say not suitable IMVHO.

D.

cb

I wouldn’t if I were you – if only to save him from my potty mouth! I tend to utter the above mentioned “fruity” swearwords when I get killed online…and I get killed a lot!

hainman
    Free Member

i havnt played the new one yet but my 2 sons play mw2 and i dont think theyre goan end up mass murderers.the 18 rating is because of the shooting and killing in the game but they just do 2player mode and play each other i dont let them on line as you get some very strong language but you dont realy need the sound when you play as it doesnt realy affect the game play.

sc-xc

Oh my god. Think of the children,

Yeah, there;s a bit of language – but nothing an 11 year old wouldn’t hear/say at school or with mates.
    There’s shooting, but it’s not gory.

It’s an 18 – but not GTA 18

meehaja
    Free Member

its lots of killing and maiming and its fun. It sort of glorifys violence (in as much as certain types of kills are rewarded etc). online can include a lot of swearing and general abusive behaviour, generally including racism and threats of violence. Single player is dramatic, gory and sweaty. I don’t know, i find it a bit weird that most games involve killing things, but if you are shooting people it seems to get an 18 rating. Its no worse than you see on the news.

Drac

Some gore in it and some naughty words but the gore can be turned off at the start. Your call really but my belief is it makes no difference to kids, it’s a video game and even my 7 year old could work that out when she was 5 watching me play them.

iain1775
    Free Member

rules are rules and he isnt allowed to play it
    I dont want to be getting beaten online by some 11 year old kid, this is man stuff 😉

hainman
    Free Member

thats a valid point iain1775.i got personalmsg from a wee nipper”WORSE PLAYER EVER”i was like ya cheeky wee bugger!!haha he wasnt wrong though!!

McHamish
    Free Member

Let your wife worry about what is appropriate…buy him the game and be ‘cool dad’

When I was younger my dad was looking after us when my Mum
    was out, he went out to get a video an came back with Body Snatchers. I had nightmares for weeks.

Next time he looked after us we asked for a scary film again.

He used to give us doughnuts when it was his turn to go to tescos too…mum got us fruit.

The game has plenty of swearing and shooting…but he’s not going to learn violence from it…unless you have a well stocked gun cabinet.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Call of duty’ is closed to new replies.