• This topic has 15 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Hip.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Caliper alignment question – yawn
  • munkster
    Free Member

I'm sorry to have to post this but can anyone give me a clue here?

Got some Deore hydro brakes and on the front (post mount) caliper the outermost pad is rubbing on the rotor, which itself is pretty straight. Trouble is this happens when the caliper is secured as far away from the hub as possible and no amount of piston re-setting remedies it.

So, to my mind, somehow I either need to get the rotor closer to the hub or the caliper further away from the hub in order to stop the outer edge dragging. Am I missing something here or is there a solution? TIA in advance and apologies for another caliper alignment thread.

cynic-al
    Free Member

file?

munkster
    Free Member

That has crossed my mind – won't it weaken something somewhere though? I don't want to go hobbling her indoors' bike a week before we go to the Alps 😯

Mister-P
    Free Member

I assume it is a post mount fork? Or are you running an adaptor?

warton
    Free Member

erm, I think the file solution was a joke…

are you sure the piston is in as far as it will go? I doesn't sound like it is

cynic-al
    Free Member

No idea whether filing would be safe or not. I'd probably do it for a mm or 2. New LX calipers £10 at on one if goes pear shaped

*thinks*

Actually you could file the mount down?

munkster
    Free Member

No it's an IS mount fork with an adapter. Adapter is flush against the fork and the caliper is as far away from the rotor as it will go.

Pistons as far as they will go. Promise.

ps – I ain't taking a file to it just yet!!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Stick a couple of washers between the fork and the adaptor to move the caliper outwards. This is how IS calipers were always spaced in times gone by.

munkster
    Free Member

Stick a couple of washers between the fork and the adaptor to move the caliper outwards. This is how IS calipers were always spaced in times gone by.

Fraid that would make the problem worse; washers between the fork and the adapter would only move it inbound surely.

PJ266
    Free Member

Are the brake mounts faced? mine was a VERY tight until i faced the mounts off.

(Yes, i did buy the hope facing tool)

munkster
    Free Member

Can I face them with a file? 😉

rich-6
    Free Member

lol not really, The hub face will no longer be square to the caliper unless you're really really good

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anywhere near Nottingham? if so, I can face the forks for you. That should see you right.

munkster
    Free Member

Nope, in the big smoke unfortunately, thanks for the offer though!

deft
    Free Member

Do they have the alignment things like Avid brakes do? With those you loosen the caliper from the post mount, apply the brake then tighten everything up again with the lever still pulled

Hip
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with my marz all mountain 1's. Had to file the slots longer in my deore caliper mounts as the disk was rubbing up against the caliper casing even with no pads in. Only around a milimeter IIRC. They are post mount forks tho, and there was no other method of adjustment available (unless I filed the thread off of the top 4/5mm of the bolts… 😀 ). facing your IS mounts will solve the problem but it's a job for your local bike shop if you dont have the correct tools IMHO.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Caliper alignment question – yawn’ is closed to new replies.