Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • California dreaming on such a winters' day
  • Maz
    Free Member

Hi,

I'm off to California May/June and will be doing a road tour taking in San Francisco, Yosemite, Death Valley, Bruce, Zion and Grand Canyons (not all California I know).

Anyone done any Mtb over there? Any ideas on where I can find some nice dusty singletrack, near to a centre where can hire bikes. Marin County seems a good bet, any ideas?

Cheers
    Maz

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Repack Rider should be along shortly to give you some clues as to where to ride in Marin.

Road touring rocks in the US. Im heading back to Oregon in September. Check out this http://www.cycleoregon.com/

You might want to stay here too. Its run by cyclists
    http://www.bearvinn.com/

oldfart

If you get the chance to go try the Rim Trail and Mr Toads Wild Ride at Lake Tahoe .Excellent !Don't think you can mtb in Yosemite .As for S/F head over the Golden Gate to Marin some excellent stuff on the headlands .Further down the coast Santa Cruz has some excellent singletrack around Wilder Ranch i think .

Sam

Charlie will be your guy for sure. Not sure about hiring bikes, I took my own, but there is just masses of good riding – Marin, Napa, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, Redwood City – lots of great riding within an hour of SF. I would recommend going to the NorCal forum on MTBR and asking there, much more likely to get detailed responses (RR notwithstanding). That's what I did before I went and had numerous offers from people to show me around – friendly people.

easygirl

stayed in the bear valley inn in olema, did a bit of cycling around there was great,i am jealous

stugus
    Free Member

Mamouth mountain was good fun with loads of trails round and about.

Maz
    Free Member

Thanks for all your responses. Glad you are all mentioning good riding near SF, as i'm sure will be easier to hire bikes round there than the more remote areas. Bit worried that late May/early June a bit early for Mammoth/Tahoe. Still could always ski if there is too much snow!

I will try the NorCal forum on MTBR and do some research on all the places mentioned.

Any other suggestions gratefully recieved.

Cheers
    Maz

iDave
    Free Member

skyline boulevard between the bay and coast, just up from woodside – some great singletrack through the redwoods. if you're not a moron I can give you a contact there who can take you riding. if you're doing the grand canyon from the las vegas side, bootleg canyon by boulder city is a must.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘California dreaming on such a winters' day’ is closed to new replies.