Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 560 total)
  • Calais Migrant camp- a conversation
  • Northwind

jambalaya – Member

@Northwind you obviously didn’t read my post where I gave my citation.

Correct, because it doesn’t exist. Unless it’s in another thread in which case,

CITATION NEEDED

allthepies
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29074736

How many of those came in from Calais is unknown though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it’s mostly sub-Saharan Africans.

Repeating something and claiming you have cited something does not make it a fact it just makes you look silly.
    Personally I am not convinced that anyone can tell everyones place of origin by glancing at them once a month or so from a train. A rare talent that the immigration board ought to harness for the public good.

See the other posters saying the same thing.

As an appeal to authority it really is your funniest yet and off course it requires us to ignore all the posters disagreeing with you.
    BRILLIANT

I
    I still cannot work out if this is a subtle piece of Chris Morris type satire or if you really think what you post are factual arguments/points.

rene59
    Free Member

I would trade one jambalaya for all those Calais migrants anyday.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Oh come on the third world has enough problems as it is

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Imagine all the facts they would gain though.

irc

What would the good folk of STW have to say to these people?

I’d tell them they should be claiming asylum in the first safe country. As they haven’t and are economic migrants I’d tell them to go to the British Embassy in Paris and apply for a visa.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

irc – Member

As they haven’t and are economic migrants

Well if they are all merely “economic migrants” and not war refugees then you need to explain for example how come there weren’t hundreds of Syrians in Calais 5 years ago.

Can you do that irc ?

bloodynora
    Free Member

Err we’re full up….sorry but this being a small over- crowded small island hope you understand… thanks …

irc

Well if they are all merely “economic migrants” and not war refugees then you need to explain for example how come there weren’t hundreds of Syrians in Calais 5 years ago.

Once they get to a safe country but choose not to claim asylum they become economic migrants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asylum_shopping

DrJ

There is a great deal of concern in Germany as to how these people will be accommodated

I’m sure there is but hats offf to the Germans that they have chosen to do the humane thing first and worry about the details later. They put us to shame.

chewkw
    Free Member

Will London be Mega City One with 800 million population one day? 😯

There was once a PM in the far east that saw the current situation coming to UK & EU. According to him just merely by population alone you would be dominated. Simple. 😮

It’s a bit like salt innit? A little salt on your food taste good but if you consume a lot of it you will be sick.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

irc – Member

Once they get to a safe country but choose not to claim asylum they become economic migrants.

So irc you can’t explain why there weren’t hundreds of Syrian “economic migrants” in Calais 5 years ago.

There’s a surprise.

Northwind

irc – Member

Mince. It is a consideration- the rules say they should stop where they arrive- but that doesn’t mean they suddenly become an economic migrant!

The whole “first country” thing is obvious nonsense, mind… Obviously unfair, some countries are far easier to get to, why should they bear a disproportionate burden? Not to mention that there’s perfectly legitimate reasons why an asylum seeker might be better travelling on to a second country- language barriers, existing communities, family or friends already there. The better the support network they can access, the less burden they’ll be on the state. It’s an incredibly simplistic approach that doesn’t really work for anyone except for countries that are harder to get to.

bubs

I wouldn’t normally suggest the Guardian as a source of balanced information but I found this article interesting: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/10/10-truths-about-europes-refugee-crisis

A good question would be how can we help?

rene59
    Free Member

Reading that guardian article it is staggering the amount of Syrian refugees currently in Lebanon.

Is there any reason why we (ie NATO/UN) can’t take over and secure a few of the emptier cities on the fringes of the conflict zones to act as temporary accommodation for those fleeing the area?

Surely it would be easier and safer to get aid to a few secured locations than forcing people all over the place where many come to harm or are being exploited by traffickers etc?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Imagined facts are his raison d’etre so I shall leave that to him.

Surprisingly still no source for his claim after 24 hours googling 8)

irc

The whole “first country” thing is obvious nonsense,

Not nonsense. The law.

. It’s an incredibly simplistic approach that doesn’t really work for anyone except for countries that are harder to get to.

Like the UK.

Germany is expecting 800’000 applications this year. If the UK was as easy to travel to we could expect a similar number. How many would you say we should take? Year after year.

We should help. By funding assistance in neighbouring countries using our aid budget – one of the biggest in the world.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The dublin convention – which exist primarily to stop assylum seekers applying in different EU countries – states that assylum should be applied for in the country which did biggest part in helping the person arrive in the EU.
    That may be the first country but it may not . That is why it has clear protocols in place to allow the exchange of people so it is not true that they have to apply where ever they land

Our govt trots this out and the right wing press trot it out [ beacuse we are not the forst country if we wer ewe would hate it and tell the truth] but it it just not true
    Can you give me the law please that says they must apply ?

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/asylum/examination-of-applicants/index_en.htm

Its just another one of those EU claims that we have all heard said so often that we think its true when it is just not the case.

They do not have to apply at the country of entry
    Imagine you enter in Greece but you have family in France and you lived there for 5 years for example
    you apply in France

FWIW Germany is allowing an extra 800 k this year due to need its ease of getting to it has nothing to do with this decision.

DrJ

People look back at the holocaust and ask how we let it happen. Now I think we know.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

DrJ. get a grip. This is nothing like the holocaust. Not even close.

irc

They do not have to apply at the country of entry
    Imagine you enter in Greece but you have family in France and you lived there for 5 years for example
    you apply in France

Well by using family as the criteria – since the vast majority of existing Syrian asylum seekers are not in the UK then the vast majority of new ones will have family elsewhere in the EU. So should apply there.

Still waiting for anyone to say how many hundred thousand asylum seekers they think the UK should take.

DrJ

The similarity is that people in desperate need are being denied help due to selfishness and willful ignoring of their situation

DrJ

say how many hundred thousand asylum seekers they think the UK should take

Which ones are you ready to send back to Assad or ISIS?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Your understanding of the law is wrong are you accepting this or just ignoring it ?

My whole reply was saying you were wrong about the law and yet you did not even mention it 🙄
    There is no “family criteria” to apply and your grasp of the law is matched only by your compassion.

You have missed his point , gotten hyperbolic and then asked him to get a grip
    Oh the irony.
    He is suggesting some people are callous bastards who dont care about the suffering of others so they turn a blind eye.

EDIT:Must type quicker as it now looks like I copied Dr J

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Nobody turned a blind eye in WW2 – we were fighting the war if you racall. The horrors of the holocaust were not discovered until after the war was over and we are still trying to learn the lessons 70 years on. And in anycase the sheer scale of today’s crisis, which is mostly driven by economic migration, with a much lower proportion due to genuine asylum seeking, is just not even in the same galaxy, let alone the same universe.

Also we have tried to intervene in recent years, albeit for the wrong reasons in a lot of cases, and the general public have given the clear message to our politicians to not intervene in foreign affairs and in particular regime change, hence causing a lot of the migrant problems we’re having to deal with today as our politicians are now paralysed with fear to do anything. They upset the public if we try to solve the root causes, and upset the public if they try to deal with the aftermath of our incapacity to do anything (in the context of protecting our boarders which is a popular view amongst the general populous). Oh the irony indeed. Tragic irony.

badnewz
    Free Member

Perhaps it was being trolled, but I’ve noticed a large increase in commentators on the Guardian website posting against mass immigration. Frank Fields has also written an article today in the (dareisayit) Mail on Sunday which paints the scale of the Calais problem in big letters.
    We could soon be heading to a position in which the only interest groups who desire a continuation of mass immigration are big business and the radical left.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The guardian website has more RW folk than the DM website
    Trolls want a reaction not affirmation

Decent people will always be willing to help the needy

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

irc – Member

Still waiting for anyone to say how many hundred thousand asylum seekers they think the UK should take.

And I’m still waiting for you to explain if they are all just “economic migrants” as you claim and not war refugees then why weren’t there hundreds of Syrians in Calais 5 years ago?

It’s a simple easy-to-understand question and yet you won’t answer it irc.

Of course we all know that the answer is because there was no civil war in Syria 5 years ago but you can’t bring yourself to say that because it would demolish your nonsensical claim that they are just “economic migrants”.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Glitch post, PTO

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Not read this thread, but there’s going to be one (a camp of displaced people) up the road from me in the Netherlands soon. I might go visit.

250 people, apparently, outside a village.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I read a lot on this subject from numerous news sources and we drive through the tunnel at least once a month so we see the groups of people having about on the roadside. JY you are right I am making an assumption about nationality based on TV, reports and my own eyes but when the faces are very black and the news reports speak of sub Sharan African nations continually it’s an obvious conclusion. If you think sub Saharan Africans are the minority show me some evidence which contradicts the dozens of news reports and images which show very much the opposite. As a final note why was the camp nicknamed “The Jungle”, not very Middle Eastern is it ? Saw another documentary piece this time from France24 where the French military have 3000 troops in Algeria trying to stem the flow of immigrants from further South who are being trafficked by Islamist extremists as a way of finding their conflict.

Going forward there are going to be very few if any Syrians in Calais as Germany has said it will take all Syrians who apply. IMO asylum seekers from Middle East have been favouring other counties like Sweden who’ve been taking larger numbers. The Ger,and have been very naive in their ha doing of this as their statement has created a huge draw and sudden made rush which is overwhelming the countries en-route. Hungary has reacted with razor wire and will. Hold a permanent 100 mile 4 meter high wall.

Out the rest of today will catch up on threads tonight.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you think sub Saharan Africans are the minority show me some evidence which contradicts the dozens of news reports and images which show very much the opposite

Ok its an appeal to authority suggesting the media are some sort of impartial agency of objective scientific fact based reporting. Can we just accept that as a flawed premise and move on the next part.
    You were telling us how you had referenced your own claim. Now you seem to think you say something we all disagree with and we then need to refute this with actual evidence 😯 For someone degree educated and with a postgrad from Oxford I struggle to believe you were taught this poorly.
    Its your claim you prove it. That really is basic stuff.
    Even JHJ tries to do this why not just put a picture of some “faces that are very black” as proof of your claim? I bet Jimmy Saville met some very black people and the queen must have 🙄

binners

Can we not just issue border staff with a sort of Dulux colour chart, with a sliding scale of browness? Say from scottish blue-hued brilliant white, through to darkie double espresso. They can make any decisions on who to let in based on that

rudebwoy
    Free Member

overcrowded are we ? –population of uk is about 60 million or so , if each person were to stand on a piece of ground three foot by three foot how much space would we all take up ?

be just under 20 square miles -4miles by 5 miles –thats not a huge area –the idea that we are overcrowded is a myth peddled by the usual crowd……its meaningless–and for what its worth this cuountry has always been a place of immigration….history checks that out…

allthepies
    Free Member

Oops, ignore me

DrJ

These things are so simple, yet beyond Jamba

Why do the “migrants” in Calais want to come to the UK?

Broken-shire also reported that the top five nationalities of those in Calais are Syrian, Eritrean, Sudanese, Iranian and Iraqi. This is similar to the top five countries of origin of those crossing the Mediterranean, reported by UNHCR to be Syria (34%), Afghanistan (12%), Eritrea (12%), Somalia (5%), Nigeria (5%). The Syrians are self evidently refugees.

Junkyard
    Free Member

But Jungle is a very African sounding word and that clearly trumps actual facts.

binners

Sssssssh – if we acknowledge that they’re a people fleeing a campaign of relentless brutality, with no end in sight, we might actually have to try and help them.

Best portay them as a bunch of scroungers instead.

Hey…. It worked with disabled people

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 560 total)

The topic ‘Calais Migrant camp- a conversation’ is closed to new replies.