Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 560 total)
  • Calais Migrant camp- a conversation
  • Northwind

chewkw – Member

Knew that was coming hence the previous response that “I bet you are going to blame others now aren’t you?

No, you’re right, the solution is to let a refugee who can’t get into this country stay in my home. Maybe by mail, or skype? You really do talk a lot of pish, don’t you. Correctly identifying a problem isn’t “blaming others”, it’s just being realistic, instead of demanding the impossible and deriding everything else.

They’re our government, and we can’t fix this unilaterally as individuals, we have to fix it nationally. The job of the individual is to persuade the government to act. And to convince other people.

chewkw
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    No, you’re right, the solution is to let a refugee who can’t get into this country stay in my home. Maybe by mail, or skype? You really do talk a lot of pish, don’t you. Correctly identifying a problem isn’t “blaming others”, it’s just being honest.

They’re our government, and we can’t fix this unilaterally as individuals, we have to fix it nationally. The job of the individual is to persuade the government to act.

Calm down dear … read my remaining response in previous thread … (couldn’t type fast enough … )

See if my suggestion makes sense above?

🙄

gordimhor

Not everyone is in the position to offer a refugee a home. It’s still possible to do other things to help them out as many people all over UK are doing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Try to change Cameron’s mind.

If dead babies in the water cannot touch that mans heart a few gobby plebs wont either
    Using stop the war as an example, considering the war was not stopped, is a unwise.

I think the Poll tax non payment – money seems to be all that matters- is the last protest I recall working and that was direct action

Anyone name any others? – genuine question
    Must be something surely

chewkw
    Free Member

gordimhor – Member

Not everyone is in the position to offer a refugee a home. It’s still possible to do other things to help them out as many people all over UK are doing.

Did I just hear an excuse? Did I? 😯

Edukator did it so what’s your problem?

Action speaks louder than words then read my response to Junkyard.

😯

toys19
    Free Member

You lot stop feeding the troll, chewky has proven time and time again that his presence here is just to feed his own addiction for attention. Just do not reply to him or engage, he will soon get bored. Its basic GCSE forum science.
    Other than that there is some admirable sentiment on here. STW gets peppered with arseholes that often make me not want to spend any time here, but then you see a thread like this and realise that a few arseholes do not define the place and actually most stwers are good people.

chewkw
    Free Member

toys19 – Member
    You lot stop feeding the troll, chewky has proven time and time again that his presence here is just to feed his own addiction for attention. Just do not reply to him or engage, he will soon get bored. Its basic GCSE forum science.

My question might cause some unease on some people because they become too emotional without thinking of the long term consequences.

Others can make up their mind about me by reading my responses so I doubt they need you to say something.

Other than that there is some admirable sentiment on here. STW gets peppered with arseholes that often make me not want to spend any time here, but then you see a thread like this and realise that a few arseholes do not define the place and actually most stwers are good people.

Please refrain from calling people a-hole unless you want this thread to be closed and in that case you will loose your propaganda.

Refrain yourself and calm down.

(I am fine with being called whatever but others will give you a good hiding if you step on the wrong toe)

🙄

toys19
    Free Member

I think the Poll tax non payment – money seems to be all that matters- is the last protest I recall working and that was direct action

Since the poll tax they gave the councils direct legal powers over council tax non payers.The council can effectively directly issue court papers without having to pass go or collect £200, the chances of a payment strike like the poll tax are sadly greatly diminished because of this.
    All we can do is create political pressure, its slow, but we can change things.

chewkw
    Free Member

No poll tax. Don’t impose your wishes on the people.

You want to help then stick to that but try not to drag others who are already financially incapable to help into your wish.

🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

What he said over attention troll

Personally I prefer the French method of direct action[ and also our dairy farmers but they were Tory land owners so not demonised]
    We have the numbers to hold the bastards to account
    Hard to think of anything any govt has changed to pressure tbh

there must be something though

GRUM I mailed you re helping

chewkw
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

What he said over attention troll

Personally I prefer the French method of direct action[ and also our dairy farmers but they were Tory land owners so not demonised]
    We have the numbers to hold the bastards to account [/quote]

Oh no you don’t … your numbers are just less than 1% of the entire UK population. (i.e. based on the petition signed on this or other thread).

This is a democratic country Not a commy state and we do not have Politburo.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There’s an easier way toys 😀

toys19
    Free Member

Darcy? What are you doing reading my posts, you blocked me ages ago didn’t you?
    I found the blocker thing made my browser hang, is it improved any? Where is it?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

you blocked me ages ago didn’t you?

I did no such thing you eejit!

Trying to remember how I found it again…I’ll tell you if you promise not to use it on me. 😛

Edukator
    Free Member

La France ne peut accueillir toute la misère du monde – mais elle doit savoir en prendre fidèlement sa part.

France can’t welcome all the misery of the world – but she must accept her fair share.

Michel Rocard said that back in 1989. No country or even continent can open the doors to every prospective economic migrant but each country should take its fair share of genuine refugees. It’s really easy for the UK which is an island as candidates can be vetted before being let in.

chewkw
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

There’s an easier way toys

Ohhh … Block User … nassttyy … 😯

Oh well … that’s the end of lively debate.

(in the meantime try to find Block User function not that I want to block someone … 😆 )

wicki
    Free Member
    gordimhor

M. Rocard avait raison Mr Rocard was right.

toys19
    Free Member

oh blocker enabled, that feels good.
    I meant to hassle our local MP Ben Bradshaw about this (migrants) when I saw him in the pub the night. But I was pissed and couldn’t elucidate, he gave up on me..

DrJ

oh blocker enabled,

Where ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

you download it from the previous link and then add posters you want to block and can do things like this

and this [ a signature BTW]

thanks aracer and toys it works great

chewkw
    Free Member

Edukator
    Free Member

No more culpable than any of the European countries which have intervened in the area militarily, wicki. Which is most of them. But I agree that its the poorest Arab states that appear to be doing the most.

The thread might run more smoothly if we refer to those fleeing probable death as “refugees” and those seeking a better life in another country as migrants.

Bringing this back to Calais, if British people consider Syrians as proper refugees they are prepared to welcome then a reception center for them could be set up in Calais. Vetting by a committee including Syrians to sort out those from other countries claiming to be Syrian.

DrJ

Hmm … is it worth switching to Chrome to avoid chewy’s drivel ?

chewkw
    Free Member

Edukator
    Free Member

French news (TF1) is currently covering the coalition military effort against Daesh in the region. It’s costing about 1 million euros a day, 8000 missions have been flown in the last year, and the impact on Daesh has been negligible.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The issue with economic migrants leaving as soon as they get a bit of money and education is that severely impedes the developing countries from which they came.

However, seeing as the vast majority of refugees getting to Europe are men, could the same not be said for them as well? It sounds heartless – and well…it is. But isn’t the better thing to do to train and arm them and then send them back? You can’t deal with an issue by running from it, countries like Syria and Iraq need their people to stand strong.

Europe is where it is now because we spilled blood for what we believe in. We didn’t all run off to the USA as soon as the Napoleonic and World Wars broke out – we fought and millions of young men died in a process that eventually brought about the creation of the EU.

Edukator
    Free Member

History tells refugees to run or perish. For example the Armenians.

In response to your edit: these people are mainly fleeing persecution within their own country, not a war with another country. Europeans did flee to the US in all of the wars and civil wars in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. Some ended up fighting in the American civil war.

Junkyard
    Free Member

YES

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

History tell refugees to run or perish. For example the Armenians

I am not so sure that is the case now though, some use war as a means to justify economic migration…eg this chaps journey to get to Sweden. Not just to find somewhere that is free from bullets.

I think the context is utterly different.

At the end of the day Syria needs to be stabilized and if there aren’t enough men willing to fight then it will never happen.

In response to your edit: these people are mainly fleeing persecution within their own country, not a war with another country.

Persecution by a small minority – Daesh. They hit well above their weight because the opposition doesn’t have the will to fight.

Europeans did flee to the US in all of the wars and civil wars in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. Some ended up fighting in the American civil war.

Not to the same extent that we are seeing now.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They hit well above their weight because they are mentalists and they are prepared to die for their cause and fight very dirty in the process

ist one thing fighting in a war its another fearing your wife will be raped and your kids made sex slaves

Most people – without very good weaponry – will just run myself included.

Edukator
    Free Member

A very interesting vid, Tom.

I saw a programme on German TV bout the conditions in Syria today. The state of the agricultural areas (drought), the towns (deserted, little left standing) and cities (a lack of everything). That guy doesn’t appreciate how lucky he is and should be parachuted back in for making that video.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

ist one thing fighting in a war its another fearing your wife will be raped and your kids made sex slave

That has happened in all wars, the tactics deployed by ISIS are not new.

I saw a programme on German TV bout the conditions in Syria today. The state of the agricultural areas (drought), the towns (deserted, little left standing) and cities (a lack of everything). That guy doesn’t appreciate how lucky he is and should be parachuted back in for making that video.

Then lets do what we didn’t have the bollocks to do a few years ago. Let’s bring them here, treat them well, give them food, give them agricultural tools and train and arm them to the teeth and send them back. Conscript them into a European equivalent of the Foreign Legion? Give them the tools to forge a better destiny for the region?

Sure that guys life is way better than those of the people left in Syria, but he states he left Turkey and Greece because they cannot offer him the work and money that he wants. He wants a better life than the Greek people, not just less bombs.

I take issue with that a little, considering the plight of his countrymen and considering many Greeks want to stay and create a better future for Greece.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

DrJ – Member

Hmm … is it worth switching to Chrome to avoid chewy’s drivel ?

I find it remarkably easy to ignore Chewwy’s posts, I don’t need any blocker to do that, the real problem imo has been identified by Toys :

It’s people’s response that buggers up threads imo, not Chewwy’s drivel.

Edukator
    Free Member

I remember a blocking battle on BM. It just resulted in lots of quoting so everyone would see.

I do wonder what’s happened to all the women left behind as the male population has fled. Are they still in the camps in Jordan and the Lebanon? I haven’t seen footage from those camps on TV in ages.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the tactics deployed by ISIS are not new.

Not exactly what the Nazis did when they occupied france now was it
    Nor napeloen etc

I think ISIS are “badder” than most in this respect but yes all war involves bad things being done.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Not exactly what the Nazis did when they occupied france now was it
    Nor napeloen etc

It is exactly what they did in Russia. It’s exactly what the Russians did in Germany.

Etc etc ad nauseum. The fact that ISIS has made so much headway says less about them and the lack of professionalism and drive found in most middle eastern military forces.

Edukator
    Free Member

Saying Syria needs to be stabilised is saying Syria’s current boundaries are logical and valid. The region is divided up by mainly straight lines with little respect for geography, culture, religion, ethnicity, language or any objective reason.

Nationalism is central to many conflicts even if the “nation” is just a group of people faithful to a leader, religion or whatever. If there is an answer it has to involve more than just Syria as drawn on the map before the current conflict.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes it is exactly like that 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 560 total)

The topic ‘Calais Migrant camp- a conversation’ is closed to new replies.