Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cairngorms advice please
  • geoffj

Anyone know what the track down from Lochan na Beinne (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=300577&Y=808125&A=Y&Z=120) to Glenmore Lodge is like?

And is the track around Airgiod-meall towards Rothie Lodge http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=297040&Y=806995&A=Y&Z=115 as much as a bog fest as it looks?

Ta

Gordy
    Free Member

Not a scooby but you might be able to get an idea from geograph.org.uk if you haven’t looked already.

druidh
    Free Member

If I was looking at that second loop, I’d be planning to hit it from the sugar bowl car park (NH984073) and the Chalamain Gap path….

geoffj

Mmmm was thinking of doing it from the caravan at Glenmore – probably a long half day for me and the lad. The decent past rothie lodge looks fun – bit disconcerting that the track doesn’t appear on the 1:50,000 map.

druidh
    Free Member

From Glenmore you can cycle almost all the way up the footpath to the sugar bowl. The path builders put in some bike-stoppers and there is a stepped section of board-walk at one point (this was all pre LR(S)A ). You are going to have to gain that height whatever route you take.

Did you see this…

[quote]Approaching Eag a’ Chait
    A cleft below Airgiod-mheall. The path comes from Rothiemurchus Lodge to meet the Chalamain Gap path.[/quote]

geoffj

A bit more research / thinking is required then. 😕

Should be up there quite a bit over the summer, so hopefully there’ll be time for a bit of recceing.

druidh
    Free Member

Did you get a caravan then?

geoffj

Yes! Missed out on a seasonal pitch at Glenmore though, so I’m storing it at Dalraddy and moving it up to Glenmore or Rothiemurchus when we get up there. Just back from the second weekend in it. Need a kayak for Loch Morlich now! 😀

druidh
    Free Member

I prefer Dalraddy now – but Loch Morlich is handy.

You can follow the Badenoch Way from Dalraddy all the way South to its end. Some nice rooty forest stuff mixed in. Nice cycling round the Uath Lochans too, which you could do separately or mix in. The BW also passes Loch Insh watersports but they’ll charge you (£5 IIRC) if you want to launch there.

geoffj

Mrs J was looking at the Badeonch way and is on the list to do. Is there much out the back of Dalraddy?

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

Geoff

The first one is just a heather bash.

the second goes but not from Rothie lodge the track through the gap is boggy and bittie. but from the hayfield up the allt mor to the reindeer pen towards the Caly gap does. Once you descend down to the burn that once ran through eig a chait ride NW along it until your below the lochan. hika bike up and over the fence. pick up the path and enjoy. It’s there mostly but can be super wet (so avoid erm in the wet) it’ll bring you out at utsi’s hut which is nice.

Not your typical ride but worth it if you like an adventure off the beaten path.

Andy

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

There’s plenty of other places to launch other than the boathouse.

druidh
    Free Member

Andy – do you reckon it’s so wet he should really be on a fat bike? 😛

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

Oh yeah everyone in the gorms should be on a fatbike, that’d get some of the anti bicycle people off our backs. 😉

geoffj

Thanks for the advice – I may have a solo wander before torturing the lad with it!

Andy – do you reckon it’s so wet he should really be on a fat bike?

I could do with another bike to leave up there – 8)

Sanny
    Free Member

Andy

Are you getting hassles up there?

Cheers

Sanny

PS Has anyone done the narrow track off the back of Cairngorm to the bealach at the head of Strath Nethy. Planning a mini epic heading up Braeriach, along and down to Corrour, up onto MacDui (possibly via Derry Cairngorm with Carn a Mhaim as an up along and turn round again) then across to Cairngorm and finish with Bynack Mor.

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

Sanny

Hassles now and again.

But thankfully more and more people are actually happy/ish to see us on the hill.

Andy

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

Planning a mini epic heading up Braeriach, along and down to Corrour, up onto MacDui (possibly via Derry Cairngorm with Carn a Mhaim as an up along and turn round again) then across to Cairngorm and finish with Bynack Mor.

MINI?

chris_db
    Free Member

My Mum and Dad cycled through the Lhairig Ghru on 1950’s road bikes, in the 1950’s. With saddle bags.

Need an excuse?

Sanny
    Free Member

Andy

Aye, mini. That doesn’t disguise the fact that it’s a loooooooong day out. I guess a day ride never really strikes me as epic unless something goes a bit Pete Tong or you end up finishing in darkness on a summer ride. 😀

Epic would be doing all the 4000 foot peaks in one continuous ride!

Anyhoos, what’s your knowledge like of that route particularly the descent off Cairngorm across to Bynack Mor. I saw the trail when heading down Strath Nethy two summers ago (not one to repeat in a hurry!) and thought it had potential.

How can anyone not smile at a fat bike???????

Cheers

Sanny

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cairngorms advice please’ is closed to new replies.