Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • CAIRNGORM LOSERS!
  • gordi
    Free Member

Why cant cairngorm mountain get there act together,theres loads of snow and they cant clear the access road so how can they run a business.They complain when they have a bad season and yet they could be making early season cash.They charge top dollar for lifts and they cant open when the snows there!Get your finger out.

swear filter bypass edited, re-read the rules while you’re banned – Mod

swiss01
    Free Member

welcome to scotland

Merak

Never ceases to amaze me. Up here, we know we are going to get the snow yet I haven’t seen a gritter all day. I cant get my car out of our cul de sac and the trains are cancelled. How do the Scandinavians manage to maintain there transport infrastructure through fierce winters, yet we cant cope with a flurry? 👿

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I guess all the cut-backs won’t help…..

druidh
    Free Member

It’s usually drifting snow that’s the problem – i.e. no amount of road ploughing can keep it clear.

Still, if you think you can do better, hire a snowplough or too and have them sub-contract it to you.

geoffj

..and if they do get the road open, they’ll run out of gear all too quickly. Inept!

Atomizer

My only experience of skiing in Aviemore was the same – the operators seemed surprised to see snow in winter. The idea of trying to clear the road or even getting ready the night before was a mystery to them.
    When you think of European ski resort staff working all night to keep things in good condition or accessible for customers…

jordie
    Free Member

have a look at the forecast that will explain a little.If they clear the roads and get the people up a hill it starts snowing heavy then they have a problem with a load of townsies stuck up a hill who have nothing in the car to survive not even a shovel to dig them out

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Two words – Highland Welcome.

ScotlandTheScared

If the snow drifts its pretty much impossible to clear the road and then keep it clear so that normal cars can get up safely. And if they do get up they have to be sure that they can get back down again safely. Having grown up as a scottish skier, I learnt to be patient – maybe you should try the same thing.

epicyclo

Don’t worry, they’ll be able to clear the road when the snow thaws…

Zedsdead
    Free Member

But the ski centre is not responsible for the roads…..

NewRetroTom

Buy some touring skis – fool!

geoffj

But the ski centre is not responsible for the roads…..

I thought that they looked after the section from Glenmore up to the car park. No?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

No. BEAR look after all roads up there

thegreatape
    Free Member

tartanscarf

The other point is that they won’t be fully staffed all year round and to expect them to staff up/down more than once a season is unreasonable. Better to wait until the snow is there for the season and then they can work right through.

TS

supertacky
    Free Member

Peace out.

I feel your frustration, but I’m sure they do the best they can to get us in and up.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Normally ski resorts keep their access road clear. I’m not sure that is the case for Cairngorm. Also bear in mind that it is a high, exposed road up to Corrie Cas and there is no accommodation if customers get stuck up there.

Damn frustrating though. Enough to make you take up ski-touren.

scotabroad

Is this a thread to practice phoning in for the Jeremy Vine show?

Si
    Free Member

BEAR you say…

This one?? That would go someway to explain it

jamiep
    Free Member

It took us 1:20 to get from Aviemore to Cairngorm on Saturday due to cars struggling to get up.

However, ONLY the top section of road is cleared by Cairngorm, which was perfectly clear.

The bottom section, cleared by bear, wasnt cleared and that caused all the problems.

glenh
    Free Member

I’d like to see any of you lot who are complaining clear a road with continuous severe drifting so that a bunch of muppets in cars with completely the wrong tyres can get up a steep hill.

You seem to forget that in places like the alps, people have winter tyres and chains, it’s rarely as windy and thus the plowed snow doesn’t just blow back on the road, and they have many more snow plows in the first place.

sniff
    Free Member

They had some limited plans to try and deal with it but TBH the main trunk roads in the area were closed so not much chance in the cooncil heading up the ski road…..

story

Nibsy
    Free Member

I believe from aviemore to the snow gates was bad yesterday but further up was better, they often have people digging out the uplift train overnight in horendous conditions as they don’t seem to like my idea of just dropping it out of the top station to smash through any snow accumulated in the tunnel.
    According to their website today they were storm bound with gusts of 50-60mph and wind chill making it feel like -22*C thus just shut the snow gates to prevent people driving all the way up only to find no uplifts running. Last year it was occasionally taking 2-3 days of ploughing and digging out after a big drop of snow and a storm

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Cairngorm is a seriously cool place. Am tempted to head up there again at the new year for some camping and exploration (on foot).

legend
    Free Member

This thread’s awesome, everyone is complaining about/defending the road situation whilst apparently ignoring the fact that the main lift gets snowed under in several places every time there’s a decent dump!

Imo that’s the biggest problem with the ‘gorm.

Revive the Ciste!

jimmy

agree with the OP. As does a pal who’s been up and spent £30+ for 1.5 hours skiing and 6 hours queuing and waiting for broken down funiculars.

Mike-E

what Legend said; especially when you consider how much public subsidy has been lavished on this area, unlike the others.

Merak – Member
    Never ceases to amaze me. Up here, we know we are going to get the snow yet I haven’t seen a gritter all day. I cant get my car out of our cul de sac and the trains are cancelled. How do the Scandinavians manage to maintain there transport infrastructure through fierce winters, yet we cant cope with a flurry?

Bearing in mind that no County Council in the whole UK is going to send a gritter down a suburban (or village, or city) cul de sac, who has failed to maintain their traffic infrastructure/ability to use their chosen mode of transport?

That’d be you by my reckoning. If you are used to that much snow, then why not…..

a) buy a suitable vehicle
    b) get together with your neighbours and clear your cul de sac

As an aside, one of my neighbours came up to me today and asked if I could get some grit for our ‘cul de sac’. She seemed quite perplexed by the fact that although I have a ‘Motorway Maintenance’ sticker covering most of the rear of my truck, I don’t actually work for the council, nor do I consider it my responsibility to ensure my neighbours can get off their drives.

I politely explained my distinct lack of connection with said local authorities, despite my overwhelming urge to point out that, just in case she hadn’t actually noticed the 2 tonne vehicle parked on my drive, I actually drive a 4×4 and couldn’t really give a toss whether or not she could get off her drive and safely make the 200 yard journey to the completely clear (and perfectly gritted) main road.

Merak

Yawns

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Other ski areas are available 😉

btw – there’s usually a moaning minnie thread over on Winterhighland dedicated to all the Gorms shortcomings. Run along there now and try not to get banned.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I cant get my car out of our cul de sac<

Neither could I so me and my 18 neighbours got busy with the shovels and dug our way out. Poor rant – try some elbow grease.

Merak

That’s the stuff, good on you. Thanks for that I never thought of helping myself, thanks again and gods speed.

Drac

Up here, we know we are going to get the snow yet I haven’t seen a gritter all day. I cant get my car out of our cul de sac and the trains are cancelled.

Yeah as you Cul de Sac is high on the highways authority and local councils list for clearing.

I’ve just finished a weekend of night shifts driving around North Northumberland. They’ve worked very hard to keep the main roads open when they’ve had time and resources have concentrated on streets. Saturday night there were constant runs up and down the A1 to keep it going.

However, I can see they got that wrong and should have cleared out number 42 Whinger Close.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Merak lifes a bitch isn’t it ! Why don’t you invest in a 4 x 4 with snow tyres and your own snow plough to clear your cum de sac?

aviemoron
    Free Member

I can’t believe I’m going to post on this (Winter Highland does it to death) but I’m a local and have skied on Cairngorm for over 20 years. It’s not a ski resort; it’s a hill which has some 30 year old tows on it and a very expensive choo choo designed for summer visitors, sometimes it snows sometimes it doesn’t.
    Some of the staff try very hard, some of the management are…….. let’s just say they don’t plan or manage very professionally.
    Last years exceptional season took them by surprise, unfortunately the same has happened again – unfinished maintenance schedules, lack of hill prep’, machines in for servicing, lack of spares.
    The only way to get the best out of Scottish skiing is to be equipped for anything, cross-country, ski-touring or lift served, to have the correct tyres on your vehicle and to expect to be frustrated, to not expect Alpine levels of efficiency/weather/snow and to live close enough to grab the good days on a moments notice.
    However, when everything comes together it is ones of life’s finest experiences to lay first tracks in knee deep champagne powder, in sunshine, 15 minutes from home.

br
    Free Member

Last years exceptional season took them by surprise, unfortunately the same has happened again – unfinished maintenance schedules, lack of hill prep’, machines in for servicing, lack of spares.

So they’ve had all summer to do this…

A bit like the Sarah Beany restoration project that is on at the moment, she complains how the snow impacted their schedule because they couldn’t do the roof – you do roofs in the SUMMER, not WINTER!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Always struck me that Aviemore could make life easier for staff and visitors alike by having the main winter car park somewhere around Coylumbridge and run properly equipped shuttle buses to the top. That would stop the nonsense with cars blocking the road, allow a number of competing ski hire companies to operate by the parking (including selling lift tickets) and be much greener

geoffj

allow a number of competing ski hire companies to operate

There’s part of the reason right there!

But yes it would make sense, if they could get planning permission and Rothiumurchus estate would sell / lease them the land.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘CAIRNGORM LOSERS!’ is closed to new replies.