Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cairngorm dedicated MTB Trails
  • J0N
    Free Member

Has this been done yet?
    Proposals for dedicated MTB trails in the Glenlivet estate.
    Could include the longest descent in Scotland.
    For my sins I have not visited the Cairngorm area for biking.

druidh
    Free Member

Was done yesterday evening at some point, but good news is always worth repeating!

I rather like that one of the conditions of building them is that the trails have to be no more than 1.2M wide!

failedengineer

I don’t know about that, but I do know that the Ski/Mountain centre above Aviemore is looking into getting planning permission for some trails up on top of Cairngorm which will include a dedicated uplift and a downhill track. There may be some issues because it is a SSSI, apparently.

ART

This has been in development for some years now. If you head to the Glenlivet Estate relevant page http://www.glenlivetestate.co.uk/Mountainbiketrails.htm they all the have details of the trails (Russ Burton design) and plans for the trail head shop/cafe etc.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There may be some issues because it (cairngorm) is a SSSI, apparently.

A slight understatement 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

failedengineer – Member
    I don’t know about that, but I do know that the Ski/Mountain centre above Aviemore is looking into getting planning permission for some trails up on top of Cairngorm which will include a dedicated uplift and a downhill track. There may be some issues because it is a SSSI, apparently.

I’ve been predicting this for at least three years. As for it being an SSSI, if they route it down Coire Cas, it can’t be anything worse than what’s already there.

failedengineer

I don’t know any other details except that the trails will be ’round the back’ if that means anything to anyone. There is an old ski lift that was replaced by the funicular railway which is earmarked for carrying bikes. It has definitely gone past the ‘Nice idea’ stage, though, with trailbulders quoting prices and submitting plans.

druidh
    Free Member

Coire na Ciste then.

RustyMac

I for one am really excited about the new trail development, living in Aberdeen they are not too far from me so hopefully i get out to use them a fair bit.

devs
    Free Member

Coire na Ciste down the gunbarrel to the bottom car park and using the old west wall chair to get back up. Why it’s never been done already I’ll never know but it has the potential to be sooooooo totaly wikid awsums.
    Carn Daimh is already a damn fine descent. Hope they leave that bit and build a completely new trail.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cairngorm dedicated MTB Trails’ is closed to new replies.