Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cable cutters?
  • IamSam
    Free Member

or will serrated tin snips do? Wouldn't use pliers as they will most probably just flatten the outers but am slightly loath paying twenty odd quid for what is a pretty rarely used tool.

any opinions?

ahwiles
    Free Member

i paid… i forget how much, for a park cable cutter about 3 years ago. it's brilliant, and i use it often.

mboy
    Free Member

Just swallow the price and buy some Park's.

Anything else is false economy IMO, cos they'll either break pretty quickly, or are incapable of properly cutting cable outer and fray inner wires all the time. Park's just work and they are a tool for life too.

DezB
    Free Member

I don't think tin snips will do it, but you can buy non-bike specific cable cutters for about £8. Sorry can't remember the site, but I did buy some for my brother and they did the job just fine.
    Will be back if it comes to me!

DezB
    Free Member

This sort of thing. They are exactly the same as the "Pro" cable cutters I have.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220611491384

leffeboy

-1 on the Park's for me I'm afraid. I find if they are tight enough to cut thin cables such as gear cables then they are too tight to close. I might be tempted by non-bike specific cutters though

cynic-al
    Free Member

Draper IIRC. Worth it IMO, one time where youcan't get away without the correct tool.

teef
    Free Member

Also they're very good at slicing through barbed wire

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

park cable cutters are the best investment i've ever made. Along with long armed chain breakers, look after them and they'll last forever.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

Proper cable cutters are one of those things you wish you'd had for years.

meeeee
    Free Member

Sam you can borrow mine if you want, I'll bring them along tomorrow night.

What have you broken, sorry i mean 'fettled' now 😆

martin

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I've had my Parks for over 6 years now and they've been used in the shop every day. Still good as new even after being used to trim mudguard stays!

jonb
    Free Member

You can improve the performance of cable cutters by heating the cable with a lighter first. Gives you a clean cut every time. Think I'm using brand x from crc or similar.

IamSam
    Free Member

Martin,

not broke anything for a change. Putting new cables on the other bike as its shifting like poop at the minute.

if I can borrow yours that would be great.

fingers crossed for the weather.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Screwfix – miles cheaper and easily do the job.

FuzzyWuzzy

My Park cable cutters have always been good, gear cables cut just fine… Also have Shimano and cheapy ones from a start toolkit I think, the Park are better.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cable cutters?’ is closed to new replies.