Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Buying Spare wheel from scrap yard – safe?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

I’m thinking about buying a space saver wheel from a scrap yard/breakers but I have some concerns over the safety of it (the wheel not the buying it). The scrap yard is something like 10% of the price of a main dealer.

Would you buy something that makes up a safety item from a scrap yard? I’m not going to pick one from a car that’s had a rear end crash to make it as safe as possible, but should i be looking out for anything else? Or should i just steer (no pun intended) well clear?

trail_rat
    Free Member

no where ever the crash is – your spare wheel takes the impact…..totally unsafe and you will explode

Simon

Every time you buy a used car you’re buying wheels that you don’t know the history of…………

yesnoman
    Free Member

no

swoosh
    Free Member

yesnoman – Member
    no

trail_rat – Member
    no where ever the crash is – your spare wheel takes the impact…..totally unsafe and you will explode

I take it these ‘No’s are in answer to ‘would you buy one from a scrap yard?’ rather than ‘should i steer clear?’

P.s. I realise i’m not actually going to explode.

Speshpaul

Swoosh
    So its spare or a space saver you are after.
    So it will probably be in the boot of the car that is being broken.
    Not all car in breakers are accident damaged, some have had costly failures (engine Etc) they may be water or fire damaged or for a older car just worth more as scrap metal and spares than as a car.
    Ideally a spare / spacer would show no or very little wear, and it should not show any signs of damage, burn/smoke etc.
    So thats it really if you can’t see any faults then its no different from buying a second hand car or buying a new one that’s been dropped off the shelf and run over by the fork lift in the warehouse.

Common sense risk assessment, is it the right one, is it in good condition. two yes’s job done:-)

LapSteel
    Free Member

Have a good look at the wheel, get one that looks unused ish…if it looks ok it probably is

carlos
    Free Member

Bought loads of 2nd hand bits in my yoof from scrappies – lights, wheels, engine, gearbox, seats and that, never had any issues with any of them. Bought 2nd TT brakes for my golf, been on for prob about 8yrs now and never had any problems and I’d consider them to be a bit more of a safety feature/requirement than a space saver that you might never use.

Bit of common sense like not buying one out of a total rear ended heap, or one with cracked sidewalls, a flat one and one obvious one – get it from the same car as you have.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’d agree completely with Speshpaul. If its only a spacesaver then it will have been in the boot, therefore not an issue.
    TBH, I’ve never had a problem with wheels from scrapyards. You’ll know if they’re “right” just by inspecting them for damage. Any remaining doubt you might have will be dispelled as soon as they go on the balancing machine anyway.

4 nice condition alloys for my (mondeo) winter tyres was £80.
    Going rate for a steel wheel is about £15 iirc

rootes1

if from a decent dealer/yard then fine.

Get they to spin it up on their wheel balance if they have one to check for true and balance.

Look for damage etc

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Buying Spare wheel from scrap yard – safe?’ is closed to new replies.