Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • buying a low-end spicy
  • peachos
    Free Member

there are loads of deals around for previous season lapierre spicys. i’m tempted to buy one to strip then rebuild with my own forks & parts and sell the rest on and have a couple of questions:

anyone else done this? what sort of money did you get for the forks (domains), wheels & drivetrain??

i’m presuming the frame is the same throughout the range with only the higher priced ones having carbon linkages/swingarms etc added. is that right?

chakaping
    Free Member

I have done it with Zesty and a Froggy so my experience may be of some use. Got to keep it brief though…

– Domain (taper) from Froggy was really difficult to sell and I got about £160 in end.

– Yes frame is the same apart from on top-end model, but on my old Zesty the Float R shock was rubbish compared to the RP23 I replaced it with. Permanent Propedal hampered the suspension action – so budget for an upgrade or PUSH mod.

– Wheels £70-80, drivetrain £100ish split up.

HTH

🙂

timmys

The 216, 316 & 516 frames are all the same (all alloy frames). The 916 has a carbon swingarm and different grade alloy for the front triangle to the others.

Ed Oxley was selling a Spicy frame a few weeks ago, probably long gone but might be worth checking.

peachos
    Free Member

nice one, cheers for that. was wondering about the shock as well. if it needs an upgrade then probs not worth it really!?

peachos
    Free Member

cheers timmys, but it would be on 0%!

chakaping
    Free Member

if it needs an upgrade then probs not worth it really!?

Totally depends on the price I suppose. Push modification for shock would be £150 I think.

To clarify – Zesty rode OK-but-not-brilliant on flat-ish trails with standard Float R, but felt like a lump of wood on rockier stuff.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I did this on a Zesty 214 as per Chakaping.

I think it was similar:-

RS Recon 140’s – £140
    Deore level no name crank £50(?)
    Deore shifters £20
    SLX rear derailleur £30(?)
    Lappierre stem £10
    Lapierre saddle £10
    Alex SX44 wheels £60

Had to keep the front derailleur (direct mount), kept the brakes cos Formula RX are powerful and fairly light. Struggled to sell the seatpost and bars so I’ve used them on other bikes. The wheels had to go on ebay, cos most people on here seem to want bolt thru or convertible front hubs nowadays.

The Float R shock seems fine to me because I can’t be bothered with the faff of propedal on / propedal off.

So probably not worth doing unless you’re intending to keep some of the bits it comes with. To back up chakaping’s experience with the forks, if you look on ebay, its always the tapered forks and 1.5″ steerer forks that go for peanuts cos nobody has frames to fit them yet. I sold a load of other stuff too, so I cleared what I’d paid for the Zesty (£1200) anyhow.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘buying a low-end spicy’ is closed to new replies.