Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Buxton routes
  • Shorty121
    Free Member

Hey,

As I live close to Buxton in Derbyshire and not been over that way much I would like to see if there's any good riding near Buxton? If so are they any good routes I should look at?

dave_h
    Free Member

There's not loads from Buxton itself. Goyt Valley can be okay or swing off from Long Hill and over the hill above Combs and through to Whaley Bridge.

There's a reasonable loop out through Chelmorton, Miller's Dale, above Tideswell, Tunstead and then Peak Forest.

Other than all of that, you're really bouncing out to places in the area – Macc Forest, Hayfield, Edale, Derwent, etc.

PM me if you want me to detail any of the Buxton based routes for you

nbt

plenty of good riding near buxton – get out toward Longnor to the south, or up the goyt valley and towards Whaley Bridge northways. The white peak and dark peak guidebooks from v-graphics are good starting points

thefallguy
    Free Member
    Shorty121
    Free Member

Cheers for that I'll have a look live in Taddington so go near the places you're suggested

goyt valler for sure! But all the routes I used to do are 'cheeky' so best left to the week days! Ah the joys of being a student then eh!

M6TTF
    Free Member

I've got a an old route guide with a Buxton loop in – takes in ladder hill and the goyt, I'll dig it out

cuckoo
    Free Member

Some good stuff near the Roaches and Lud's Church also. Unfortunately they have just put a gate half way down one of my favourite moorland singletrack descents from Roach End.

Some rocky trails around Hollinsclough although linking them with other trails can involve a bit of road work.

As others have mentioned Three Shires Head, Goyt Valley and Macclesfield Forest all contain good riding. Try and include Cumberland Brook and Danebower Hollow in any loops you ride around there. There is also some good cheeky stuff too.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Right change of plan need to Join these 3 places up with bridleways so Hope——Caslteton——–Taddington

Any ideas?

PaulB
    Free Member

No probs there.

Choice of Pindale or Cavedale, Eldon Lane or Oxlow Rake (to Peak Forest), Up the hill towards Wheston, track to Millersdale and then either of the bridleways towards Priestcliffe and on to Taddy, I then go to the Waterloo and over the hill to Chelly and Flagg. I did it a couple of time there and back to work so easily do-able.

Paul.

PaulB
    Free Member

If you really need a map, please ask.

Paul.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Well if you're offering could you send me a map of that route?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

plenty of good riding near buxton – get out toward Longnor to the south

I'm looking at the map and can see a lot of cheek – what's good?

PaulB
    Free Member

Shorty,

Quite happy to do you a map, but, if you don't have a map of the area, either OS 1:50k sheet 119 (pink) or OS 1:25k Dark and White peak maps would be good investments. You will see that there is plenty to go at in this area. I am quite happy to meet you and draw some useful routes on your maps.

Paul.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Sounds like an idea maybe not this weekend but maybe another time

nbt

HeathenWoods – Member

I'm looking at the map and can see a lot of cheek – what's good?

Longnor way, there's some insanely technical (from an XC jeyboy viewpoint) stuff around Hollinsclough – 5 brilliant descents that I know of that are completely legal, and I haven't even tried the cheeky stuff

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

stuff around Hollinsclough – 5 brilliant descents that I know of that are completely legal

Ah! that's given my memory a nudge. Are 2 of them in the White Peak book? I'd check it but cant work out where my missus has tidied it away to. I'll have to dig it out and spend some time with the maps. Cheers.

PaulB
    Free Member

Shorty121. emailed route pdf

nbt

Ah! that's given my memory a nudge. Are 2 of them in the White Peak book?

Yes, the "south buxton" route in the white peak book covers at least 2 of the descents (and climbs one of them!) and features them all in the "mental descents" list at the end. And has some very handsome photo-models for that section *cough*

Shorty121
    Free Member

Cheers for the map wonder which way is tbe best? How to make maps like that?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Buxton routes’ is closed to new replies.