Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Busted lock stuck shut – how to open?
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    Feel a bit dodgy asking this, but honestly it is genuine!

So I have these motorbike chains and anchors in the garage. The lock for one of them has been going dodgy for a while and rather than get a new one I stupidly kept using it and now it is stuck shut – locking my bikes to the floor!

So, how to open it?

It’s a lock like in this picture:

Thinking bolt croppers or angle grinder. I don’t think I will have much luck with a hack saw – is it even worth considering?

Because of the position of the anchor it’s going to be difficult to get the lock down near ground level to break it if this makes any difference for the bolt croppers route (e.g. having to put full body weigth on them).

I’d rather buy the grinder as it would be useful for other things, but if bolt croppers would be more successful then I may just buy them.

Thanks!

Junkyard
    Free Member

angle grinder will work and quite quickly. Bolt croppers rely on being ground placed for leverage and may struggle [ unless they are a great set]
    Angle grinder with cutting disc will work and allow you to cut of the lock rather than some links

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

spray it with some lube and use the key

Northwind

It’s a total myth that the chain needs to be at ground level to crop it… You need to be able to get the handle tip on the ground and the other handle not at too silly an angle but you can still easily cut a chain that’s a couple of feet up. There’s a nice almax video on youtube demonstrating this… I think it’s one of those things that the Crap Chain industry puts out to try and inspire confidence in their rotten products, just like Thatcham and Sold Secure are.

I can’t see your image/link, do you know what sort of chain it is and what size?

I’d use a grinder myself, it’ll take a while and afterwards you’ll understand why thieves don’t use grinders but it’ll do the job.

As for hacksaw (and other hand-tool attacks like hammers, prybars etc), if it works then you might as well not have bothered locking your bike up.

Popocatapetl

Use a 4″ angle grinder with a specific cutting blade (they’re much thinner than a normal grinding blade)so that you don’t damage the chain.

flatfish
    Free Member

Steve austin has the answer.
    Soak the thing in lube then use the key.
    I see so many locks that have never seen a drop of lube in twenty years and the customer wonders why it’s stopped working. 🙄
    It’s not rocket science.

Northwind

Yeah, tbh that’s the best advice here

el_boufador

Cheers I will try the lube thing before splashing any cash on a grinder.

However the key actually turns fine in the lock – it just doesn’t open it! It’s like something is misaligned inside or broken, so not sure how much luck I will have…

project
    Free Member

Plenty of lube, and try spare key, jiggle te lock around and see.if it opens may be some rust or crap stuck in a pin.

flatfish
    Free Member

If the key is turning, the internal pins are free, so it sound’s like there’s a small amount of corrosion on the shackle to the lock body.
    Once you’ve soaked it in lube, turn the key(keeping it turned) and pull/push the shackle in and out of the body and it should eventually free itself.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Might be worth trying a proper “dismantling lubricant” like PlusGas – works much better than stuff like WD40.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Busted lock stuck shut – how to open?’ is closed to new replies.