Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Busted Heel bone -need help
  • willv

Well a bit of a weird injury from falling off a bike but i've managed to break my heel bone. Hit a tree with my bars as i came over a small drop at Kirroughtree and got deflected to the left. Managed to unclip my left foot and landed with all my weight/force on the left heel – crack.

So got to wait for the swelling to go down then get it pinned, then 6
    weeks non weight bearing and then 2-3 months recovery.

Anyway the HELP bit:
    i am getting married in 3 weeks and need ideas on how to complete the first dance???

Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted (got nothing else to do for a wee while)

cheers

will

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

beg for forgiveness from your wife to be

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Speak to orthopaedic team involved, they may be able to get some sort of walking cast fitted, BUT, in my days as a ward nurse when we had teenagers in with such an injury the bedrest was usually extremely strict, which was difficult for all as a teenager strapped to a bed for 8-12 weeks isn't fun anyway, and the fact that most of these injuries that I saw were related to jumping off roofs or over walls with police following meant that their lifestyles were usually not conducive towards running a reaceful children's ward either.

Heels are difficult to heal (pardon the pun) so if they suggest first dance in a wheelchair, then that might be the best. I hope they can come up with something else for you, good luck with all the associated surgery etc.

docrobster
    Free Member

Whatever happens, get someone to post a vid of your first dance up on youtube!

wwaswas

what TJ said.

when I broke my hip they gave me a zimmer frame to use when stood for a while washing – it was much more stable than using one crutch.

depending on when the op is you'll probably be on crutches by then and off the strongest pain killers.

as for the dance thing. make it a slow one and stan on your good leg and spin slowly around.

my daughter weas 3 motnhs old when I broke my hip – you really do have to apologise – repeatedly and with feeling.

anokdale
    Free Member

I fractured my calcaneum (heel bone) many years ago, i had it treated conservatively SP? i had it manipulated into shape well sort of and then rest, i was told it was one of the most painful bones to break, yeah no s##t sherlock, believe me you will not feel like putting any weight through it for at least two months. Good healing vibes though.

On a positive note i was laid up for 3 months before i could get into a wheel chair even , i had other injuries as well but i did assist greatly in the conception of our daughter at that time so it is not all doom and gloom. 😉

andrewy33
    Free Member

I think you and your best man should dress up as Lou and Andy, That would give the (lovely) bride a surprise……….. 😆

The first dance could be, You spin me right round by Dead or Alive.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Good suggestion Andrew. Can you see the future Mrs V up for that on her big day though?

I'm sure there will be a few of us with cameras at the ready.

andrewy33
    Free Member

I just need to figure out how many jokes/puns I can get out of the situation. You have our support Will, Oh there's one and I wasn't even trying!

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

ouchy ouch , i feel your pain. did mine yonks ago [ by falling off a chinese girl's window ledge]
    there's not much you can do and in my case no cast or anything. the main thing is to keep your wait off it for some time or you could distort the joint as it mends and have problems later.
    the best exercize once you are able will be cycling [ good eh ] or swimming as they are not load bearing .you may hacve to adapt your cadence for a while using easier gears with less pressure on the heel . hope that helps.

andrewy33
    Free Member

Mr Potatohead, Read on…..

Calcaneal fracture, also known as Lover's fracture and Don Juan fracture, is a fracture of the calcaneus. It is usually caused by a fall from height. The name lover's fracture is derived from the fact that a lover may jump from great heights while trying to escape from the lover's spouse.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

yeah the doctors took the piss something rotten .

BigJohn

Get your best man to push your hospital bed (complete with traction apparatus) in artistic circles around the dance floor while the bride does a tasteful dying swan number?

I had to have my heel bone drilled through when I broke my leg, so they could insert a pin to maintain traction within the cast. When the consultant surgeon took it out as the cast was removed, the sister held a big can of TCP spray and said to him "you'll have to move now" He (all cool looking in his khaki chinos) said "No it's OK". She said "Fine" and sprayed about a pint of freezing stinging antiseptic right through the hole. 14 weeks worth of accumulated blood and pus got deposited over the front of the aforementioned Chinos.

njee20
    Free Member

14 weeks worth of accumulated blood and pus got deposited over the front of the aforementioned Chinos.

That's…. just…. wrong.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I did mine along with broken tibia and fibia, so was very hard to put any weight on for ages. and went to a wedding.

I did how ever have a split cast that could be taken off and velcro'd up when needed. I went to the wedding about 5 weeks after coming out of hospital, wore an ankle support and loads of tape (not recommended by the hospital) i took loads of pain killers and had a shit time because of it.

If i was you i'd be as honest as possible and speak to your physio and dr and try and work out with them what you can do, every break and everyones bodies are differnent. So you be fine or you may need alot of assistance.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Only one thing for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N19NmO3NP4&feature=related

Oops up side your head.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Depending on funds, you could (for example) have a Latino dancer and her partner show the guests how to dance.

They stay for about 30 minutes-ish and much like at a Scottish dance, they take you through the moves, then couples perform as best they can. At the end they again have demo of another dance routine and how it's reaaly done. Guests love this and I've seen it quite a few times on my travels.

andrewy33
    Free Member

Go for the Latino dancer Will, That's an excellent idea. I know Sqwubbsy and myself would very much enjoy "observing" her moves.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Damn right. Purely from a educational point of view of course.

If he goes for the Lou & Andy look he needs to point at Paula and say "Want that one", then once he's married her he'll need to go "don't like it"

andrewy33
    Free Member

That would be funny! Will's heel would then become the least of his worries……….

pegglet
    Free Member

been there done that,bailed some dubs landing my heel on tree stump just the right size,shattered it into million bits and split sub talas. beautiful rebuild by THE mr,patel using what looks like a couple of mini colinders.six lovely ti. screws. and a lot of pain and grief. get the op at all costs,they sometime consider just casting it up and letting it heel in situ. this means you,ll have to wear the giant clumpy shoe of shame for the rest of your life. its a long time healer so get used to it for now. about 9wk no pressure then introduce it gradually. they warn you that you may lose your balance a tad because your foot wont tilt from side to side on uneven surfaces (more about this in a min) also your up and down movement will be restricted. they also say no to ladders ever again and other bad news about arthritis etc. gloommongers these docs you know! well the ladder thing did it for me cos i,m a window cleaner so bancrupsy stared me in the face sort of thing. i had a think about the loss of omnidirectionall tilt and when the cast was off and off sticks(evrything stiff and awesomely painful (sorry!) i thought of running (lol) in sand dunes,lots of slippin about and hurt,hurt,hurt. but it worked. i regained total movement!.THIS had not been done before according to Mr.Patel and is now casebook history. obviously you need to be near sand dunes! as for your dance shuffling on sticks is more your game. did your heel rattle when you bust it? mine did,not a nice feeling. hope it helps .mail if you need anymore info or picture of what your foot looks like after weeks in umteen differant plasters without that wash.f*kn mings something rotten!….

willv

Pegglet;
    not mentioned a cast just a dressing so far. Will maybe ask for a removalbe splint type thing for the wedding though so it dont get knocked.

Thanks for the info i will look into running and using the kids wobble board.

How did you stay sane for weeks doing nothing? had a few days and i am getting a bored already!!!

ta

anokdale
    Free Member

willv – Pegglets experience same as mine to a T, once and when they say put weight through it and get it moving, it is stiff as hell, painful, i was lucky !! but i was taken straight to the pool at work by the Physio within 1 hr of having the pot off, i was in the Army then. I thought all was well he had me running around the pool. swimming and he beasted me, the next day i was in tatters but the joint was loosened and that is the point, once you get the chance work it hard and you will get more back. Like willv the more motivated you are the better your recovery, it will never be right but i was having Orthopod appointments and was cycling to the hospital in about months, i had a tib and fib fracture as well in the other leg that was in pot for 5 months. Be patient, difficult i know, i had some weights in the room but at that time 92 i think the Rugby World Cup was on so i watched all the games, drank too much and learnt Spannish. It could be worse, you see some other guys in a far worse position than you, namely spinal injuries, limbs missing etc but the good thing is your cycling will not be harmed unless you are an elite, i have done Polaris a few times, 3 px Cyclocross although the walking running bit screw my time up and i got a silver standard on the Etape De Dales this year, not bad for 47. Good Luck.

pegglet
    Free Member

dressing is while your balloon foot goes down! pray the hot weather turns cold and wet.i did mine right in middle of heatwave and had the cast changed at least a half dozen times as the foot swelled up and down inthe heat getting crushed in the cast.. as to staying sane i have a twelve year old Giant electric bike, saved me indeed. i was riding with cast on. offroad (not too much radness tho) and on road. its pedal assist so took the pressure off nicely. got around fine. also did Redtube to death(all cats etc)… the wobble boards good, frustrating but def help.afraid its a long way off yet tho for that. i still chuck myself through the air,(you NEVER learn) couple of hundred miles a week road and arse around in the woods,grand age of 52…….

pegglet
    Free Member

hows it going so far?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Busted Heel bone -need help’ is closed to new replies.