Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Busted bones – how many has biking given you?
  • sangobegger
    Free Member

Just had a thought,I have 10 bones to date busted by the bike.Can we have a running total please on who,what,how many etc.

jam-bo

just a couple of cracked ribs.

fadda

Just four – 1 collarbone and three ribs. And it was all one accident, so I'll have to try harder, I think…

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Ribs quite a few times over the years.

Lost one tooth cracked two others.

Dislocated two fingers after nipping through gap between trees that was smaller than it looked.

Broke a little toe after kicking garage wall in frustration trying to put a Sturmey Archer hub back together forgot I had flip flops on 🙂

nockmeister
    Free Member

3 ribs, suffering last one now 😕

GW
    Free Member

I honestly couldn't say exactly how many

boken pretty much every bone in my left foot from the ankle down.
    chipped bone from both elbows, knees, shins and one forearm (does that count?)
    broken a few ribs (3 times)

Alphabet

I've lost 60% movement and strength in my right wrist (permanently) and 2 years on it's still very, very painful following a crash in Les Gets.

I've also broken my other wrist and have got problems with torn ligaments in my ankle which still haven't healed properly after a year.

None of this this stops me riding though. I just wear additional armour/supports and take things easy.

Swayndo
    Free Member

sangobeggar … you've no hurt yersel again have ye? Gimme a shout if you are up for the Bri72 return from broken arm ride tomorrow.

I take it you've heard about Nutta?

Kahurangi

zero broken bones…. 😕

pomona
    Free Member

No major bike injuries at all. Skiing injuries are a different matter, 3 torn ligaments all in the knee, 10 stitches in my head when my girlfriend at the time skied over it, and a few breaks (including collarbone 3 weeks ago).

I keep trying to hurt myself on a bike and have had many a spectacular crash but always seem to walk out of it.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I keep trying to hurt myself on a bike and have had many a spectacular crash but always seem to walk out of it.

Oh dear youve done it now theres a good chance your next post will be painfully typed in with your one remaining working finger

Never annoy the trail pixies because they will always get you

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

None from bicycles. a collarbone from a motorcycle

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

One ickle one in my thumb.

But heck it has caused me so much grief. A year later, I still can't change gear with my left hand and have no real pinch grip.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Think you may be doing it wrong, I've had none yet

taka
    Free Member

2ribs cracked another broken index finger,big toe little toe,nose,dislocated necap's plenty of timesafter the first

that about all 😉

billyboulders
    Free Member

Cracked rib, two metacarpels (long bones on right hand) one on left hand, two toes on right foot. Not bad going for 18 years or so mountain biking.

Just waiting for the lads to turn up for this afternoons ride so hope I haven't tempted fate here 😐

MtbCol
    Free Member

Do dislocations count?

2 cracked ribs, a broken wrist and a knackered collarbone to date.
    As well as 2 knee, 1 finger and 1 jaw dislocation.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

radial head, lower jaw (in 3 places) and god knows how many fingers and thumbs

billyboulders
    Free Member

1 jaw dislocation.

Ouch!! 😯

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

try dislocating AND breaking, that stung a bit 🙂

donald
    Free Member

Both wrists

beej

Never broken a bone in my life, one dislocated shoulder though. Some people seem to be naturally snappy (I have a friend who has broken about 17 over the years – yet a bone scan showed him normal). I think I'm naturally unsnappy.

crazy-legs

Never actually broken anything…
    Cracked ribs (twice) and fractured pelvis (once but that's more than enough!). So far nothing has actually gone snap. I'm sure that now I've said that I'll end up in plaster on my next ride.

FOSHOYAHO
    Free Member

Broke my collarbone in 3! comminuted fracture the proper name iirc. hosy left it as it was and a ct scan 18 months later revealed that it hadn't healed. had a piece of my hip grafted on and a plate the full length of the bone fitted. oh and broke 2 ribs in the same crash

thejesmonddingo

Only a couple of ligaments in R ankle and knee,but broke a couple of toes sparring at kung fu as a youth LOL.
    Ian

stratobiker
    Free Member

To all those who ain't broke nuthin' more than a fingernail…..

You're riding on borrowed time! (statistically speaking)

SB

Ticklinjock

I prefer to believe that 80% of MTB injuries are borne by 20% of the MTB riding population.

So, if you aint in that 20%, you're likely to to remain there.

large418
    Free Member

Tibia and Fibula 10 weeks ago at the MM – am back on the bike now for gentle pootles. Stupid putting foot down type accident. Still, bought a new bike whilst scouring ebay during my 9 weeks off work

TimothyD
    Free Member

Only my right wrist so far.

A helpfull hint…

Try and go diagonally when riding down unknown grassy slopes, they can have hidden dips in them.

I was only riding at a slow jogging pace too, doh.

Tim

DrT
    Free Member

Dont know if any of mine count but several cracked ribs, chipped bone in thumb when thumb dislocated and last but not least (although not a broken bone) a ruptured spleen has been my worst injury.

billyboulders
    Free Member

As predicted maybe it wasn't such a good idea posting on this thread before setting out earlier. Whacked the hand with the two previously broken metacarpels I mentioned hard into a post at about 20mph and it's looking a bit suspect now! The painkilling properties of a nice bottle of red are doing the trick though. The post was for a footpath sign though so I suppose I was due a bit of karma payback anyway. (a really nice bridlepath changes status for the last 100 metres for some inexplicable reason before anyone flames me for riding cheeky stuff :wink:)

Yes mrmichaelwright I bet that did sting a bit 😯

DezB
    Free Member

Popped rib, fractured neck (C7) and fractured metacarpal. Almost a dislocated shoulder- was the only one that needed operating on.

Almost forgot the lumbar vertebra! That was chipped by a chain tool I was carrying in my jersey pocket when I got knocked off by a car.

MtbCol
    Free Member

1 jaw dislocation.

Ouch!!

It certainly hurt!
    I still have problems with it, and there's been quite a few mornings where I've woken up and had to relocae the jawbone back into its socket too. Now that is bloody painful!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Only a toe on a tree stump, and a canine on a rock. I'm just not trying.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Busted bones – how many has biking given you?’ is closed to new replies.