Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • Bus lane fine
  • bails

is that the one where the cyclist was knocked senseless has no memory of the event and the driver said the cyclist RLJed?

Yes it was.

Was there any other evidence other than the driver’s account? (witness/cctv)

Seemingly not.

An odd set of lights for one to be amber and the other green though. Unless it’s a big junction and there isn’t time for a cyclist to clear the junction if they go through on amber.

I hate lights turning amber when I’m on the bike. More often than not, the car behind me will keep going. So I either brake, and risk getting wiped out from behind, or carry on through the junction (slower than the car that was behind me) and end up looking like I’ve jumped a red, or gone through an amber when I could have stopped. Which is true, *I* could have stopped, but the tailgating idiot behind me had no intention of stopping too.

sbob
    Free Member

bails – Member

Seemingly not.

Are you saying that the cyclist got done for jumping the lights purely on the evidence of the driver that hit him?

What is this, fantasists Thursday?

sbob
    Free Member

Interestingly he also admitted to driving without due care and attention.

Green means proceed if safe. It wasn’t. Correct result.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Must be great living in a world where nobody does night shifts. Guess I’d better sleep at my work from now on. Because in the real world nobody wants to cycle home in the howling wind and pissing rain*.

*Not this is seemingly ever an excuse in the STW universe where people know more about prevailing weather conditions than the person who deals with them.

D0NK

I hate lights turning amber when I’m on the bike. More often than not, the car behind me will keep going.

lots of times I’ve looked up to see the lights ahead change and heard the corresponding rev of engine behind me, not a great situation.
    There are a number of junctions I know that amber is quite risky – even when it only goes amber as you’re crossing the stop line, small ones with very short change over sequence and large ones with medium length change over – a problem if you’re doing 15mph or less

sbob
    Free Member

Is that true?

Yes, though I was referring to speed cameras, not bus lane cameras. I’ll see if I can find the quote (t’was in the local rag).
    No bus lanes in my town, though there is one very short one way road only for buses, which is sensibly marked with a no entry sign.
    We have large pits for cars to drive into (guided busway) and they do from time to time.

aracer
    Free Member

That sometimes people drive when they are a bit tired, not everyone can drive at peak form all the time.
    [/quote]

Hmm, so it is normalised then? And it looks an awful lot like you’re condoning it. Because otherwise why reply in such a way to my post suggesting people shouldn’t drive when they’ve been awake for as long as Drac had been when he made the comment you gave your original clever reply to? Which in case you missed it was more than “a bit tired”.

garage-dweller

Amber lights are an issue for all road users and the problem is self perpetuating and growing.

If you can’t brake to a halt really gently and there is anything following then in many places and especially at rush hour you stand a real chance of getting hit from behind as someone races the amber. The result of this sort of thing is a temptation for more people to not stop which means people worry the car behind won’t, which means that…You get the idea.

On the other side you have the go on red and amber brigade.

Basically it’s a bloody mess!

aracer
    Free Member

The set of traffic lights I have to negotiate every time I want to enter the real world are on quite a significant uphill coming from home and I’d normally be doing closer to 10 than 15 even from a flying start. It’s also not a small junction and they also don’t have a huge dwell time between phases. Hence there’s no way I’d go through on amber even if it’s only just changed, because even going through on green just before it changes to amber I’ll still be in the junction when the cross traffic has green.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Have you thought of joining the Lodge of Big Hitters

Nowhere near enough posts, don’t reckon you guys would let me in

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

And it looks an awful lot like you’re condoning it. Because otherwise why reply in such a way to my post suggesting people shouldn’t drive when they’ve been awake for as long as Drac had been when he made the comment you gave your original clever reply to?

True, there could be no other possible reason, it does appear that way. 🙄

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Bus lane fine’ is closed to new replies.