• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Burglar Alarm Woes – One for Ton?
  • andybanks
    Free Member

Just bought a new build house and paid for a burglar alarm to be fitted. It should have had door sensors fitted, but it doesn’t but does have PIRs that pick up all entrances.

Apart from not getting what I’ve paid for, how big an issue is this – is a PIR covering a door sufficient, and if I do insist on the door sensors how easy is it to retrofit these after?

If it’s a retrofit all cables will need to be concealed as it is a brand new house.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Rockhopper
    Free Member

PIR’s will only pick up someone once they have already entered the house. Door contacts and break glass detectors will detect someone before they get in. PIR system – easy to fit. Proper system – a lot more work (and money).

allthepies
    Free Member

Door contacts are belt and braces and I think I’d want them, especially if I’d originally specced/paid for them.

I guess they’re going to have to make some mess to conceal the wires* but they’ll have to make good afterwards.

* assuming it’s a wired rather than wireless system.

RicB

If you specifically specc’d contacts then they have to install them. They’ll have to chase the cables and bring in a fixer to make it good. On older houses you can route cables under the upstairs floor but new builds tend to be chipboard flooring upstairs rather than boards.

You can fit wireless (Visonic are good) contacts but you’ll need a new panel too, otherwise they’ll all be connected to the same zone. Although this possibly isn’t a problem if it’s just the two door contacts.

Unless you’ve also specc’d an ARC service (e.g. ADT) then you’re reliant on someone responding to the alarm anyway so I don;t think i’d be panicing unduly. PIRs are fine unless you have pets

ton

if you paid for a full system it should have contacts fitted. they cost pence to buy. laziness on behalf of the installers.
    pir’s work on body heat, a contact can be linked to a beep, letting you know a door has been opened.
    I would want them fitted.

RicB

Also, if you can (and it will set the alarm off) open the panel and count the cables coming in. They might have put the contact cables in place but forgot to bring them out after the plasterer had finished. There should be a cable per sensor plus one for the bell box outside and one per keypad.

andybanks
    Free Member

Thanks everyone

I will be asking for it to be corrected.

The main reason I wanted the sensors was for the alert when someone opens the door. They’ve currently set this to the PIR that covers the door which is totally pointless.

RicB

Make sure you get it recorded on a proper snags form and get the site manager to sign and date. You’ll have periodic NHBC surveys and the site manager will be very focussed on making sure everything is sorted as feedback impacts them significantly.

They’ve currently set this to the PIR that covers the door

Don’t sound the most competent outfit do they?!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Burglar Alarm Woes – One for Ton?’ is closed to new replies.