Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Building up some new XC race wheels. Not sure what hubs.
  • salsabro
    Free Member

so im planning on building up some new 29″ xc race wheels. i think i want the ZTR crest rims. Im not sure what hubs i want to go with. I really want the chris king ones but im not made out of money. haha so i was looking at the hope pro 2s. suggestions?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope, simple rebuild tough and endless warranty

Onzadog
    Free Member

All my wheels run hope hubs. Have done for a long time and I don’t see it changing in a hurry. Plus you can save some money by getting to hope hoops.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    salsabro
    Free Member

What do you like about the hope hoops? i have run stans and found that they are just a spectacular rim. i havent found anything that i dont like about stans..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shimano every time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stans as Part of Hope Hoops More than 1 rim on a set of hoops

njee20
    Free Member

A2Z

cp

a2z for lightweight, but…

I built mine up with XT hubs from Rose – cheap and so far very reliable. Built with Stans Olympics & DT revolution spokes and brass nipples, I got a very reliable pretty lightweight (1520g the pair) wheelset for less than £150.

relliott6879
    Free Member

Hope. Easily replaceable (not that you’ll need to before you draw your pension) cartridge bearings, fantastic build quality and the all important customer service element in the unlikely event that you should ever need it.

redfordrider
    Free Member

What do Hope Hoops 29er Crest wheelset weigh? I’m guessing about 1800g.

Stan’s Crest 29er Wheelset are apparently 1575g.

Why not get some Stan’s 3.30 hubs?

organic355
    Free Member

When you guys talk about hope hubs do u mean hope pro 2 evos? Or pro 3s? Or both?

Janesy
    Free Member

American Classics – so good.

relliott6879
    Free Member

organic355Member

When you guys talk about hope hubs do u mean hope pro 2 evos? Or pro 3s? Or both?

Over the years, I’ve run the old Lightweight front hub (the uber-skinny non disc one with the titanium centre and anodised aluminium flanges), Suspension, Fatso, XCs and Pro IIs (the latter being still in daily use on my 700C commuting wheels). They’ve all been equally buttery smooth and durable, I’ve no reason to think any hub Hope make would be any different.

Go for the newest model you can afford or, if budget is more of a factor, whatever you can find currently on special offer. As others have said though, if you’re building up a new wheelset you could do a lot worse than a pair of ready-made Hope Hoops with your rim of choice. I’ve only heard good things about the build quality.

njee20
    Free Member

Whilst Hope hubs are good, they’d certainly not be my choice for a race wheelset. There are lighter, cheaper options out there.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A2Z for lightness
    Hope for quality
    Shimano for cheep

A2z dont have a front axle (just 2 stubs that sit in the bearings on each side), which would worry me for a QR hub in 29er suspension forks.
    Hope aren’t the lightest, but are probably the best at everything else including what seems to be an unofifial lifetime warrenty (just had a 2nd hand pro2 replaced with an evo for no charge!).
    Shimano are cheep, heavy, maintenance heavy, but spares are easy to get.

Alejandro
    Free Member

Wouldn’t recommend Shimano, that’s for sure, myself and friends have had big problems with reliability, the cup and cone thing is rubbish. They have seized up on us a couple of times, left me stranded once. Yes they are light and cheap but you get what you pay for in terms of reliability. Love my Pro3’s but wish they had more engagement points. I can also vouch for Hope’s customer service being excellent.

orangeboy
    Free Member

A2z for light weight
    Depends if your planning on Useing them alot
    If its just or racing then durability is slightly less of an issue to a point
    My race bike gets far more tlc for the miles it covers than the rest

Shimano cup and come hubs if looked after will work very well
    And last. They also run nice and free

njee20
    Free Member

A2z for light weight
    Depends if your planning on Useing them alot
    If its just or racing then durability is slightly less of an issue to a point

Which was my point, and why I suggested them (and why I use them). Saying that I was really impressed with how mine lasted. I did the bearings in the front at the weekend, it was a horrifically wet race that killed them, and they’d lasted 16 months, which is longer than the Pro 2s I used for ‘normal’ riding.

Bearings were £3 each too, which was nice.

IA

American Classics – so good

I had a similar dilemma, and went for a set of these. Liking them so far, but only one ride! Got ’em in a pair of these:

http://www.amclassic.com/en/products/mtbwheels/mtb29disc.php

from charlie the bikemonger (good service, good price).

onewheelgood

I’m now running Hope Pro 3/Crests, but I have to defend Shimano. In the days before discs, I’d usually wear out a couple of rims before the hub bearings went. Cup and cone is free-running, easy and cheap to fix, and in my experience requires less maintenance than sealed bearing hubs. If the Shimano wheels weren’t so heavy I’d probably be running them still – XTR are twice the price of my Hopes and weigh > 100g more.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Rim wise I’m a huge fan of stand mmx rims do light yet not broke one yet

njee20
    Free Member

The Podium MMX is only 26″ though, there’s the Race 29er rim, do they do them aftermarket though, or just in wheelsets?

A different rim to the Crest though, far lighter, but also more fragile. Depends if this is a race set of a wheels, or a set of wheels that will be used for a bit of racing…

jwmlee
    Free Member

Hope have good customer service but the new hubs aren’t ‘bomb proof’.

My Pro 3s packed up after less than 6 months. LBS tech told me he sees loads like mine. New design lets in muck which works it’s way into the freehub.

Hope replaced the entire hub, rebuilt the wheel and even replaced the scuffed rim tape. Excellent service.

Chris Kings have been recommended to me but like you I’m not that wealthy!

njee20
    Free Member

Heavy too, and mine needed fairly regular tweaking. May as well get XTRs for half the price.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

whats wrong with Shimano – Cup and Cone

bigrich

hope hoops pro3 on crest here. well good.

back to back ave speed test over same course 27km/h vs 22 km/h. however may just have been over excited about new wheels.

mboy
    Free Member

Chris King hubs really aren’t all that. People I’ve known with them have had more problems with them than many other brands too, they need quite regular maintaining and adjustment, and they’re also not that light. They also make a bloody annoying noise!

Cheaper, better quality, and quite a bit lighter, are DT240S hubs (which I’m surprised nobody has mentioned yet!). I’ve been using DT’s for years now, wouldn’t go back to anything else out of choice. They just work! Strong, reliable, lightweight, don’t have an annoying freehub noise (unlike Hope, CK and most others out there these days), the only downer is they really are quite expensive for what they are, though cheaper than CK.

Hope’s are great on a relative budget if you can put up with the freehub noise.

Have heard lots of good things about those A2Z hubs njee says about, but lack of axle compatibility would warn me off cos I’ll never run a QR up front on any Mountain Bike ever again (unless it’s a rigid fork anyway).

Shimano XT/XTR can go on and on and on, if looked after well from day 1. From the factory, Shimano hubs come with very little grease in. Pull them apart when brand new, pack full of grease, but BE CAREFUL not to overtighten the cones (as a lot of people do) cos this leads to premature wear. Well looked after Shimano XT’s or XTR’s will easily last a very long time, certainly I know of sets of old M900 and M950 XTR hubs still going strong to this day.

qwerty
    Free Member

Goldtec

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Your bigger problem might be getting hold of Crest 29er rims at mo, nobody seems to have any!

njee20
    Free Member

Have heard lots of good things about those A2Z hubs njee says about, but lack of axle compatibility would warn me off cos I’ll never run a QR up front on any Mountain Bike ever again (unless it’s a rigid fork anyway).

Not tried it, but hub shells are the same dimensions as American Classic, so you should able to fit 6803 bearings and the AMC 15mm conversion.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And A2Z make* a 15mm hub too.

*or order from a catalogue, whatever the business model is.

njee20
    Free Member

Chin Huar make the hubs.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Building up some new XC race wheels. Not sure what hubs.’ is closed to new replies.