Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Building quote
  • keppoch

How much to gut and refit the lounge, dining room, hall, landing, stairs and small bedroom in a small terraced house.

I know this is as long as a piece of string but I just want to give myself some idea as only one of the builders I asked for a quote has come back to me (I think the other two knew they weren't really up to the job), I would like to go with them, and don't mind paying the right price to get a good job and finish but don't want to pay through the nose.

The jobs involved in all rooms are:

– Strip wallpaper
    – Plaster all walls
    – Paint all walls
    – put in new electric points (at least three more per room), replace existing switches etc
    – sand and paint all wood work
    – Lift old floor tiles
    – Improve routes of wires for telephone, TV, internet etc.

The jobs involved in a couple of rooms:

– Open up firplace
    – Lay 25m2 of wood floor
    – sink radiator pipes into wall
    – Sand stairs

All materials except the wood floor included.

Just interested to hear thoughts on the kind of money people would expect to pay or be paid for this.

keppoch.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So you need someone who can paint, plaster, does woodworking and has the necessary electrical certification so you won't get a jobbing one man band builder (although you might find a jack-of-all-trades type who would subcontract the electrical work) – most likely you would have to go to a small business.

I estimate in the region of £8k/£12k

spooky_b329

All did all of the above myself except the electrics was a complete rewire with advice from a sparky that I paid to get signed off.

It just cost me materials plus 18 months of my life 🙂 But I do have an impressive stash of power tools now…just a shame I chose to buy a house with no garage to display them!

keppoch

I have been waiting to do it myself for 8 years, I've now given in to the fact that I am not going to espcially if it would take 18 months, which I think it would using only weekends and evenings so I am paying up and keeping my weekends and life!

Thanks for the cost idea M_F much appreciated and I know from reading your posts you are in the know as far as house works/improvements are concerned.

keppoch.

5lab

I'd say ballpark 10k as well

I had a 3 bed house – quotes from memory

put up plasterboards to ceilings & plaster – £2k
    plaster all walls (stripped to bare plaster by me) – £3k
    add lights for bathroom & kitchen, add sockets in kitchen – £1k

personally, I'd do the idiot work, leave the tricky stuff to them – ie strip the walls yourself, lift the old tiles etc etc..

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

What area are you in?
    Probably looking at around 5-6k if I was doing it. Manchester way
    We'd do everything ourselves too, plastering, electrics, joinery and decorating. No subbing out now I've got my domestic installer badge!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Nothing allowed for new skirts and archs? Not majorly expensive but if you're just over skimming it looks gash up to tops of skirts! Also if you're staying is it worth fetching old off an dabbing throughout? Mess yes, but better job!

keppoch

Thanks all very useful. My quote is around the £8k mark so that sounds about right.

Funky – I am in S. Wales but thanks for the offer.

The builder is looking for a deposit now and suggesting 35% upfront. I realise there are materials and the risk of getting things ready but this seems quite a lot to me but then I have never had a big piece of work done so nothing to go on. Any thoughts or experience on what the right level for a deposit is?

keppoch.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Deposit is a no no IMO! And one of 35% is taking the p!$$.
    As I see it the first job/s will be to chase Walls and 1st fix electrics, no major cost associated with that, in fact there's no major material costs involved at all apart from the wood floor which I believe you're supplying.
    By the way does he/they come recommended by others, hate to be a merchant of doom but don't like to see folk get shafted, that said he might b dead genuine and need a two week holiday before he starts on your gaff! 🙂

Bear
    Free Member

In some ways I agree with you about deposit, but sitting here being owed over 20K from various customers is not a lot of fun and just about manageable.

Most places would ask for some sort of deposit if you were spending 8K with them, why is the construction industry thought of as any different?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I'm in the same game bear and totally understand, but that specific job doesn't really require many materials, it's mostly labour. If you were going out and having new windows etc made up for the client then fair play, but 35 % is taking the Mick! If cashflow is that tight you could even agree weekly payments for the labour. And your right, it's the sh¥te few thAt tarnish good builders image!

stonemonkey
    Free Member

I would agree a bout the deposit, if it were me i would set up some form of stage payments ie 1) strip wall paper,2) electrics, 3)plastering etc , that way you can have more control on the way the build is progressing, sort out any problems as you progress and not pay for things that arent bolted down!! Plus the builders doesnt have a large outlay.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Building quote’ is closed to new replies.