Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Building an extension
  • mildred

Ok, we’ve outgrown our house, but like the location so we’re considering having an extension built. Where do we start?

khani
    Free Member

Planning permission and an architect to draw the plans, then pick a builder and off you go……

woody2000

Think about what you want
    Talk to an architect, get some plans drawn
    Get some quotes
    Contact building regs/planning permission people
    Get building work done
    Decorate
    Enjoy

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

You don’t necessarily need planning permission or an architect, but other than that, khani is precisely right.

May be permitted development depending on the size.

You may find that an architectural technician can draw up some plans for you if you just want something simple.

You will need to speak to building control though, and you will need a builder.

Google Sketchup is a good place to start thinking about how it might work out.

creamegg
    Free Member

1. Discuss what you want with your partner
    2. Speak to architect, architectual technician or someone who can draw up some plans and knows what their doing
    3. Figure out a budget
    4. Talk to planners and/or submit planning application (if required… you may be able to build under permitted development subject to certain conditions)and await approval
    5. Submit Building Regs application
    6. Get prices from builders
    7. Put up with dust, noise and the mrs new obsession with interior design
    7. Prepare to spend more money than you originally planned

Alcopop
    Free Member

Just in the process of doing this awaiting building control sign off
    a mates doing the frame and another the building work trying to keep costs down ….
    ill be making the tea

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s loads on the .gov website regarding planning and regs. This is a good start to see if you fall under PD. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Be very wary of architects. My experiences wit a few of them are all bad.

Lights that cannot be changed without a scaffolding tower in a small extension, no lighting over a desk nor sockets, Not specifying dry lining properly, not knowing what was a supporting wall and what wasn’t and claiming if you couldn’t see it from the road then the feature was not covered by listed buildings regulations. Not applying for planning properly either.

Check all their work thoroughly and get it priced on a total job basis as you will have to get them to redraw it several times to get what you want

loddrik
    Free Member

Happy to provide a bit of planning advice should you need it.

hammerite
    Free Member

7. Prepare to spend more money than you originally planned

^This is key. Building Regs mean this isn’t quite as straight forward as getting approval and adding a new bit onto the house. For example, Part L1B of the Building Regs says that you aren’t allowed to increase the carbon emissions from your house when making it bigger. The house will be bigger, so you’ll have to use more fuel to heat/light a bigger space. As a result you’ll need to look at improvements to the existing part of the house too, things like making your heating system more efficient, improving insulation, windows/doors, possibly renewables.

This is only one part of the Building Regs, there’ll be others that will need considering too. Getting a good builder/architect/surveyor will ensure this will get sorted, but the costs will probably be higher than you’d expect.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And have a good look around at other houses to see what they have done in the way of extending – just to get ideas for kicking things off.

When we had ours done (three years ago) I lost count of the amount of times I stopped in the road to take pictures of window frames, door styles etc.

I kinda agree with TJ – architects aren’t always brilliant, but DON’T just take what they provide as gospel – look hard at the drawings, understand them, think about what they are suggesting and then go back to them with YOUR ideas.

When we had ours done, the architect was useless – just provided us with the most boring box of an extension (didn’t consider how to take advantage of our position, where the sun appears etc) so I sketched out MY ideas and he came back with new drawings.

And do not assume a single thing – if anything isn’t clear then ask for clarification otherwise you may end up disappointed.

This is what we ended up with

Cost £26k all in including real oak windows/door/floor, resiting of electricity meter, new downstairs loo, all electrics.

aP
    Free Member

Jeremy, stop being such a scratched record. I called in a huge favour about 2 years ago to get you a meeting with one of Scotland’s leading conservation architects to discuss your concerns. However, you couldn’t be arsed and instead just keep on your tedious diatribe. He asked me a couple of weeks ago what had happened to you actually – I asked if he watched telly…
    Anyway, to the OP – ask around, meet 3 or 4 architects (whatever) and decide which ones you could work with and trust to deliver what you’re asking for. If you can give a vague location then dependent upon where it is you may be able to get a recommendation from people.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

aP sorry if that was a favour you called in. I did try to contact him twice but never got a call back and I do thank you for your help.

Edit – you could tell him the job is still not finished and is going to litigation 🙂 His input might still be useful.

Ta again

cvilla

M-S has some good experience and hammerite is spot on, new regulations can mean more work, especially as you aim to live there for some time and not do a quick developer job and sell on.
    Take your time and have a think about what you want, number and size of bedroom(s), new kitchen, more space, etc. and make your own sketches to explain to others. Then where and how could you extend (side or rear of house) what about neighbours and impact, you do not want boundary disputes.
    Watch Grand Designs, a little over the top as it is a TV programme, but building works take time and cost money. Treat it like a project, 3 key areas Cost, Time and Quality, each choice effects the other.
    Generally speak with friends and locals to see who they have used (consultants, designers, builders, etc) in terms of getting plans drawn for planning, i.e. what the design will look like for the planners and then detailed drawings for building control and for the builders to price against (remember to add 10-15% contingency as things never go exactly as planned)
    After speaking with architects, surveyors, technicans, see who you feel you can work with and ask what other consultants they think are required (e.g structural engineers, a bat survey, party wall surveyors (if extension comes near boundary with neighbours) energy assessor to work out carbon figures).
    Enjoy the experience and Good luck.

julians
    Free Member

Building Regs mean this isn’t quite as straight forward as getting approval and adding a new bit onto the house. For example, Part L1B of the Building Regs says that you aren’t allowed to increase the carbon emissions from your house when making it bigger. The house will be bigger, so you’ll have to use more fuel to heat/light a bigger space. As a result you’ll need to look at improvements to the existing part of the house too, things like making your heating system more efficient, improving insulation, windows/doors, possibly renewables

This is not correct, unless something has changed since I had my extension built 3 years ago. There was no need to do any of that with my extension. Maybe the above only applies in certain scenarios, but it certainly did not apply as a blanket rule.

We did the following:-

– got an architect to draw up plans
    – got the architect to submit for planning permission
    – Obtained planning permission
    – Got quotes from a few builders
    – Chose the cheapest quote
    – started work
    – finished work a few months later – on time and on budget, not a penny over

mildred

Thanks everyone for all the info’. I know a few folk at work have gone down this route as opposed to moving. Other than us liking where we are (we also have great neighbours all round us), what are the benefits over and above just upping sticks and moving to a house that ticks all the boxes from the off? Is there a financial benefit?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Financial benefit? Get an estate agent round to value the propery as is and estimate the value with the extension. Whether or not it adds value to an individual property is difficult to say and will depend on the type of extension and the rooms added.

hammerite
    Free Member

[i]This is not correct, unless something has changed since I had my extension built 3 years ago. There was no need to do any of that with my extension. Maybe the above only applies in certain scenarios, but it certainly did not apply as a blanket rule.[/quote]

Sorry, a bit rusty! The calculation is done by kg/CO2/m2. So carbon emissions are worked out per square metre, not total size. In the majority of cases though it does mean improving the existing house.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion £26k seems a fair bit for what you got.

Seems like the kind of thing you could do yourself over a few weeks in the summer with some help from a builder mate!

Not to say its not nice, just doesnt seem like good value.

Taff
    Free Member

TJ – that’s a bit of a fleeting comment which I can’t say I appreciate. Some designers don’t provide what the client wants but half the time the client can be just as useless in knowing what they want.

If money is an issue don’t bother with an architect and go for a technologist or someone in the trade looking for some private work. If you’re any good with programs then you could always do the aplnning process your;sef witha free program like sketch up or similar. Are you in a conservation area? If so then permitted developement can go out the window.

As said look at the planning portal for advice on the planning process and what you can and can’t do.

Do as much research to find out what you want from the extension in terms of space and aesthetic qualities. Thats will help you with any conversations with architects, planners and builders.

Cost £26k all in including real oak windows/door/floor, resiting of electricity meter, new downstairs loo, all electrics.

MF – that was quite expensive, I’ve just done two extensions for two neighbours which is pretty simialr spec albeit the electric meter moving for only a 1k more. Granted back then the construction industry was a lot less competative than it is now which may account for it

donsimon
    Free Member

Have a look through here as a starting point.
    http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That was for all the work – new drains putting in, nearly £1k on the wood floor (which is about 11′ x 20′ in total), bringing electrics up to code, two Velux windows, cost of toilet suite, decorating entire of downstairs to tidy it up after the work, decking, fencing and custom-built shed (to fit perfectly in the space we had for it) etc, etc.

Ohh, and all the internal work as we knocked two rooms into one, took out the original external wall, supply and fit of three RSJs, fit of a new double glazed unit… Loads more stuff now I think about it all. 🙂

Ohh and silly expensive double glaze units with fancy gas in them so the council bod would let us make it one open space without internal doors as original spec.

oink
    Free Member

you may need party wall awards if you have adjoining neighbours or the foundations are to be within 3m of their property which would require surveyors

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sorry Taff – it not intended to offend but my few experiences with architects is crap.

mildred

Financial benefit? Get an estate agent round to value the propery as is and estimate the value with the extension. Whether or not it adds value to an individual property is difficult to say and will depend on the type of extension and the rooms added.

I’m not talking about adding value to the property, but rather the financial benefit over and above buying a different property. For instance, is it cheaper to extend than sell the house and buy one that’s already the right size?

I ask this as we’ve been looking at a new build that’s about to come on the market; we went through all the costs of selling ours and buying that (including depaosits etc) and we were looking at almost £40k – this seemed a lot of money to gain a couple of rooms in an area that isn’t as nice as we’re in now.

wrightyson
    Free Member

New builds will always be at a premium and won’t gain any value for yrs as far as I see it at the moment. But people want new, that “no ones been here before feeling” so they are willing to pay the extra, plus you get some guarantees such as NHBC and defect schedules! A few yrs back rule of thumb said yes build an extension it will be cheaper! However there are some great bargains out there at the moment and unfortunately some people who “need” to sell. One thing to remember, find the ceiling price for your house in your area, it is very hard to get above this as we’re currently finding with one of our properties that is for sale!!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

considering having an extension built. Where do we start?

Become a “traveller”, apparently…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’m not talking about adding value to the property, but rather the financial benefit over and above buying a different property. For instance, is it cheaper to extend than sell the house and buy one that’s already the right size?

Then find out how much the extension will cost v the cost of moving and you have your answer – quite a simple equation if you are not bothered about resale value as well. But of course you would still need to speak to an estate agent to get an idea of value of your property so you know how much you should get for it.

mk1fan
    Free Member

oink – Member

you may need party wall awards if you have adjoining neighbours or the foundations are to be within 3m of their property which would require surveyors

Party Wall matters do not always REQUIRE Surveyors to be appointed. If Building Owners would supply correct and full information with the notices (which is a requirement to validate them anyway) then dissent is (in my experience) avoided. More often than not, in domestic situations, response to notices is conditional consent.

mildred, if the only thing ‘wrong’ with the house is it’s size then extending it is good value.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Download google sketchup. Design your extension exactly how you want it. Put ‘your furniture’ in it. Do a walk-through.

Only when you’re happy with the design should you get an architect involved. Get them to offer improvements (just in case).

oink
    Free Member

mk1fan – Member

Party Wall matters do not always REQUIRE Surveyors to be appointed.

However, getting a surveyor to do it properly – getting photos and descriptions of the adjoining walls will cover your ass when your neighbour claims you have just caused a large crack in their wall with the works you have carried out. Without the award (and assuming the crack was already there) you’d have no way to prove he’s just trying it on – and to make good may cost you a lot.

The surveyors also work for the crown and not the individual parties so there is no bias

fenboy

set a realistic budget, have a contingency

if you employ an architect you generally get what you pay for. same for any professional service/design service.

pay for a basic drafting service thats what you will get pay for someone to actually think about it and they will.

most architects add value(not financial value necessarily) to any project they are commissioned correctly for and can identify potential savings and efficiencies if your budget is tight. do some research and go for someone aligned to your way of thinking and you might be pleasantly surprised.

most people completely underestimate what is actually necessary to design and think about even in a simple extension let alone a complex one and the time involved in doing it properly.

And given the expenditure why not actually give it some thought. if you just want your plans drawn fair enough get TJ or MF to do it they seem pretty clued up.

mk1fan
    Free Member

oink – Member

However, getting a surveyor to do it properly – getting photos and descriptions of the adjoining walls will cover your ass when your neighbour claims you have just caused a large crack in their wall with the works you have carried out. Without the award (and assuming the crack was already there) you’d have no way to prove he’s just trying it on – and to make good may cost you a lot.

If ‘Consent’ to a [correct and complete] notice is given then the Act ceases to apply so compiling a Schedule of Condition after this is a waste. Even if a crack were caused it would be down to the neighbour to prove it wasn’t there before the works – from a legal point of view.

I advise that Surveyors are only appointed if there is ‘Dissent’ or ‘Conditional Consent’ to Notices.

The surveyors also work for the crown and not the individual parties so there is no bias

The Client [and therefore the duty of care] in such appointment is the Party Structure not the Crown.

mildred

Sketchup won’t work – anyone any ideas? It just crashes as soon as I open it in windows 7.

philconsequence
    Free Member

if you build a small L-shaped extension i know where there’s some carpet going…

creamegg
    Free Member

Sketchup works on windows 7 here.

matth75
    Free Member

Autodesk are pretty good if Sketchup doesn’t work, this is just a visualiser but could be useful for floor plans etc.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Building an extension’ is closed to new replies.