Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Building a little street ramp
  • robmorphet
    Free Member

Going to build a small plywood ramp, have been looking online and there are loads of 4′ plus ramps, well beyond what my lad will do! Can’t seem to find any suitable ones. Does anyone have any plans they could share, or point me in the right direction.
    Thinking about 2′ height, will attach a small set of wheels so i can tow it into the field but mainly it will be used on an old tarmac quarry lane thats closed to cars etc.
    Should i go curved with kicker, or just a linear rise (c27deg)?

robmorphet
    Free Member

sorry, its a single ramp, no down ramp etc, just an easy drag and ride thing.

Pook

What’s wrong with some bricks and a plank of wood??

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d go straight as it’s easier to make. If I recall my early teens woodworking, get some ply, cut the sides of the ramp the right angle and size, cut the top and then cut notches in the sides for some cross support under the top. Alternatively just nail the three parts together. Won’t last as long but the first one will be awful anyway.

Stevet1
    Free Member

2′ is still quite tall for a little ‘un.
    I’ve built a few ramps, most of which used a plywood side with 2×4 cross beams, no real need for plans.
    I’d definitely go for a curved transition, although I’d make it much mellower than you initially think. For a 2′ tall ramp I’d have the transition at least 6′. To mark the curved transition I use a pencil on a piece of string tied to a stake in the ground to scribe an arc of the appropriate dimensions (either do some maths or just wind the string round the stake to make it shorter – guess which I did…). To cut the plywood you will need a basic jigsaw. You’ll need quite thick ply for the sides (12mm?) but thinner for the take-off. Some people like to use 2 sheets of thinner ply for the face of the jump so it can be bent into shape easier. Make sure to screw down the face – don’t use nails or they will pop out. Oh and countersink them obviously.

Squirrelled away in my favourites was this site, dunno if its useful or not.
    http://rampplans.org/
    There is a pic of a 2′ kicker in there to give you an idea of how it would look. Looks to me like it kicks up too much at the end but :shrugs:
    http://rampplans.org/ramps/Tyler_Neidig/

RobHilton
    Free Member

Pook – Member
    What’s wrong with some bricks and a plank of wood??

Have you seen Napoleon Dynamite?

Tracey

We built allsorts when the girls were little, all in six foot lengths and carried back and forth into the field opposite. Cost us about £50 in reclaimed timber.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I built various ramps as a youth for skateboarding. All built by eye with out plans.

All you need is two sturdy side sections from thick ply and planks for cross sections, you need one thin cross section for the thin edge of the wedge and thin bendy plywood for the transition. Many plans show a right angle (so it can go up against a wall) but if you are hitting it at speed to jump of give it a longer base for stability. Don’t overestimate the amount of transition!

This will give you a rough idea.

http://diyskate.com/launch_01.html

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

and the award for best parents in the cycling category goes to…

… Tracey

DezB
    Free Member

Here’s the plans what I drawed for the ramp I maded for my son to do jumpings off of.

qwerty
    Free Member

Here are ours:

[/url]Ramp No. 2 under construction by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ne5NGV]IMAG1622[/url] by martinddd, on Flickr

We initially built two with a radius & then built another flat downslope for landings. Mainly used on his scooter. Google around, but there is a rule of thumb for radius being something like 3 times the height IIRC.

Anything is possible:

[/url]IMAG1559 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

D0NK

and the award for best parents in the cycling category goes to…

… Tracey +1
    seesaw too eh? If my parents had built me some riding woodwork when I was a nipper I wouldn’t freeze up and start going “nerrrrrrrr” halfway across the “skinnies”* at dalbeattie and similar.

*morbidly obese skinnies

Stevet1
    Free Member

Anything is possible:

if you’re going to dream, dream big:

wilko1999
    Free Member

I wondered who actually built Rush Skatepark 😀

robmorphet
    Free Member

Cheers guys, spent my yoof building ramps for the RM100 but they were always pants, think because they were all wedge shaped. Had a look at that site Stevet1 found another OC Ramps, jeeze they are expensive.
    And cheers qwerty, the radius thing makes sense! Right off to the bat cave for some hammerin!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Building a little street ramp’ is closed to new replies.