Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • building a fixie
  • zaskarrider
    Free Member

ive just looked at loads of images on pedal consumption..
    and now i want one..they look so cool i think one would be great for pootling to the shops etc.
    my question is.. does building a decent fixie have to be expensive ???
    please post me some prices and pics of yours to give me a price range.

thanks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

First step, borrow your sister's jeans.

zaskarrider
    Free Member

mmmmm i fail on the first step… i dont have a sister..

anyone out there got a sister that i could swap clothes with ?? 😳

please post pics of sisters !! NO MINGERS PLEASE

monkeychild
    Free Member

First step of fixie club, is that you don't talk about fixie club 😛
    I bought my pompino in fixed form for £499.9999999999 I do 30miles a day on it and I loves it as I am never gonna be poor replacing drivetrain parts.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Careful, look what might happen to you if you go all fixie…

zaskarrider
    Free Member

mmmmmmmm that could be a worry guitarmanjon…
    but i would still keep my Zaskar L.E. and my Pantera A.L. with gears !!

captain_spaulding
    Free Member

Like any other bike you build,
    it doesn't have to be expensive,
    but you know it will be. 😉

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Looking at all those photos just makes me want to build up a street bike. Not fixed, but just the one gear. I like having the option to freewheel.

ski
    Free Member

Has anyone here ever welded a freehub to make it fixed?

Just in the middle of a cheap commuter project and looking at my options.

This cost me less than a night out on the lash a few years back, not road legal and was in a right state, now gone to a new home but was great fun.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'm aiming for under £200 with mine. If i can pick up some forks for a good price, and either an old XT disk front hub or a random fixie hub then should be under £100! The most expensive bit was buying tins of paint (rust eater, primer and topcoat as i wanted it to last).

Still need;

1" threaded forks, preferably 531, with 210mm of steerer

Wheelset, or even better a cheep fixed/free hub in raw alloy colour.

zaskarrider
    Free Member

now you got me thinking along the lines of a street bike and freewheeling.. i feel a single speed coming on

but i do like the thought of no shifter and leavers.. and all that cable stuff

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

i feel a single speed coming on

You know it makes sense 😉
    You can still leave off the brakes, just like them fixie types do.

zaskarrider
    Free Member

i met a chap on a singlespeed in dalby a few weeks back.. and he did struggle a lot

zaskarrider
    Free Member

yeh…. then the falling off bit i could manage…

i think i need some means of slowing down…or even stopping

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

I was wondering how tricky Dalby would be with just one gear. But I did a 60k route in the Dales on Sunday (which nearly killed me) so I reckon Dalby would be fine. Maybe I'll try it this weekend…

zaskarrider
    Free Member

guitarmanjon
    my son and i met up with a guy on a single speed…on-one a few weeks back at dalby..we offered him some companionship and he rode with us… he found it really tough on the up hills to the point on one of them he almost puked !!! then we got to the down hill where you can take the red or the black option…. he took the black route and i met up with him at the bottom,but by this time he was on his back after an off moment, he was in a lot of pain so he rode back by the road and when i contacted him on here the next day it turns out he had a broken coller bone.
    I know this could happen to anyone on any machine but he did find it tough on the uphills… if you give it a go and do the red routs please let me know how it went

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Ouch! Sounds nasty. Do you know which bit of black run he tried? Some of them are pretty mental and some are quite fun but mostly they're overly technical for your average XC bike/rider (or maybe it's just me).

Some of the climbs at Dalby are pretty tough going so I think I'd be trying it on a slightly less than 2:1 ratio. I'll let you know how I get on. I'm sure I did it a few years ago on a 32:16 but that was before the red route was properly finished.

Anyway, how's that fixie coming along? 😉

alwyn
    Free Member

I'm also after one for riding to work starting in September. I want to spend as little as possible. I was thinking about an old reynolds frame and some cheap wheels. Are they easy to ride?

higgo
    Free Member

My fixie cost very little.

I got an old road bike off 'freecycle' with a screw on block. Bought a fixed sprocket and new chain. It needed a few bits from the spares box (seatpost and saddle) and I was good to go.

I enjoyed it but didn't get on with the very narrow road bars on it so I treated it to some nice Nitto bullbars and some £6 aero brake levers from my LBS's bargain bin.

I enjoyed it even more, particularly for my commute to the extent that I've decided to throw some money at a new one, possibly a Kona Paddy Wagon or Kinesis Convert2. I reckon my commute costs me £5+ per day by car so (very roughly) if I commute by bike once a week for 2 years, it'll pay for itself. I do realise I'm kidding myself here. I already commute about once a week on average on my geared road bike so to pay for the fixie I'd really have to be commuting twice a week (unlikely) or saving £500 of Ultegra cassettes and mechs over two years (also unlikely)

tom84
    Free Member

ooh the steel 2010 langster frame looks nice

MrSmith
    Free Member

about £1200 (now with ec90 post and Ti brooks swift.
    but i use it for more than just commuting as i ride it on the road for leisure/pleasure. not so much now as have a proper road bike but this will get ridden in the winter and the road bike for summer/dry miles only.

very easy to ride. it being difficult is just a myth purpotrated by some of those who ride fixed so they can think of themselves as 'different'. in the same way as having a tribal tattoo is 'different' except every other non-conformist has one.

kimbers

if you want a cheap fun bike for gettin to the shops on get a bmx actualy improve your biking skills rather than just being dangerous at traffic lights

its weird fixies are obviously 'in'
    my local autoparts shop has one in the window, a few years ago it would have been a 50lb 2 inch travel fulss suss dh saracin copy

cant really see the benefit myself its not like a set of v brakes are heavy or even hi maintanence

kimbers

basically i dont think people on here saying they want as cheap as possible a bike when a set of vs font and rear are what a tenner second hand?

just admit you wanna are simply following fashion, its not a bad thing we all do it

AdamM
    Free Member

For a day in day out bike, fixed wheel bikes can't be beaten for lack of maintenance.

higgo
    Free Member

basically i dont think people on here saying they want as cheap as possible a bike when a set of vs font and rear are what a tenner second hand?

just admit you wanna are simply following fashion, its not a bad thing we all do it

I read that a few times and think I understand some of it.

Brakes – mine has brakes front and rear. I'm a big unit in a hilly area. I can bring it to a stop on a hill using just my legs but not in the sort of 'sh!t some blind bat's just pulled out on me' distance.

Fashion – yes & no – if they weren't seemingly fashionable at the mo' I probably wouldn't have thought about giving it a go. But I did it originally because I was interested (not to be fashionable) and I keep doing it because I enjoy it (not to be fashionable). I'm told that the fashionable fixie set now have narrow flat bars. I won't be going down that route – I'd rather have them nice and wide for pulling on than a la mode.

zaskarrider
    Free Member

yeah guitarmanjon he was riding with us on thred route from the main car park near the visitors centre… the only part of the black route he did was the really tough fast down hill with the large drop offs…..
    not the best bit to try first time in dalby !!!

zaskarrider
    Free Member

mmmmm i never even thought of the fashion thing…. but i think if a few people hadnt tried this out i maybe wouldnt know about the whole fixed wheel thing…. so still want to give it a go.. and in answer to your question guitarmenjon… im still in the looking around and thinking stage but i think its now time to search out a machine to work on…
    it may be a while away but i will post pics

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘building a fixie’ is closed to new replies.