Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Bugger!!! fork downtube interface problem. (66sl on my new DB Alpine)
  • Vortexracing

Came to fit the forks last night onto the new frame and the edge of the fork JUST touches the downtube. Its with a FSA Pig Pro headset which measures about 15mm crown to headtube lower face. My hope measure 13 which would make matters worse!

Any suggestions apart froma CK headset and a larger tall crown race. Don’t want that if I can help it.

Or just file a little bit off the fork edge?

advice from the all knowing STW massive mucho welcome

Dave

racing_ralph
    Free Member

only thing that will help is a taller headset – do on-one do a smoothie with a deeper cup?

forge197
    Free Member

Cane Creek + 5 you can get Headsets with a bit extra at the bottom

steveh

Someone does a headset specifically for this problem with a deeper bottom cup. I think it was on one but am not sure.

RevWill
    Free Member

Filing would be my choice. Taller headset would be a more professional solution, though it doesn’t have to be CK.

Jimbo
    Free Member

FSA Pig Pro has a lower stack height of 16mm:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=275

Cane Creek S3 Plus 5 has a lower stack height of 17.3mm:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11258

The biggest lower stack height I can recall at the moment…

solamanda
    Free Member

File the downtube ;o)

Nobby

On-One smoothie+5 headset has a lower stack height of 20.1mm. Works well too.

Jamie
    Free Member

File both the downtube and the fork.

rs
    Free Member

that’ll just nick the paint. it’ll be fine.

bedmaker

Ive got a Cane Creek S3 +5 bottom cup and crown race you can have if you want it.
    Ive since sold the frame I needed it on which had the same problem as you are havin, only slightly worse going by your photo.

Email in profile if you want to give it a bash.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What year 66 is it? Do you know if it has the same crown as an 06 66RCX2?

Thinking of getting some for my Alpine for France this year but I dont like the look of that

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Also, do any of you engineering types see a problem with sticking a 5mm stem stacker underneath the crown race?

rs
    Free Member

the crown race wouldn’t fit securely further up the steerer tube.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I know theres a bulged section at the bottom of the steerer, assuming this is longer than 5mm, would it work?

forge197
    Free Member

Have tried a stem stacker on a different bike it did not work, the + 5 headsets are the best solution.

DaveBro
    Free Member

i have this problem and my lbs fitted an upside down crown race and then the headset – might sound odd, but it looks ok and is rock solid.

I dont know how to put piccy on here, but can send you one / to anyone who does know how to post.

db004u0093@blueyonder.co.uk

Dave

trailmoggy
    Free Member

i had the same problem runing pikes on my small intense 5.5

i fitted a cane creek S3+5 and machined a stem stacker and lock tighted it in to give me the requered clearance

Vortexracing

Cheers lads,

davidtaylforth, yip it’s a 2006 fork. The fact that it’s the short top tube model will not help the situation.

There appears to be enough steerer of the larger dia to have a go at a washer/stacker of some description. Just not too keen on the idea.

Will the cane creek be any better sealed than the on-one?

It is only 2-3 mm extra i’m after. Just want to make sure that it clears even with some deflection in the frame and fork.

Daffy

Both Hope and Chris King do +5 and +7/10 mm crown races. This will push your fork away from the down tube. The CK one should work with your CC in my experience.

Ooh, never seen that before. As most have suggested, get a headset with a deeper bottom cup and it’ll be reet.

Vortexracing

Just looked at the steerer and there is not enough to use a spacer.

so new headset it is. just which one on-one or cane creek?

Anybody want a ‘fitted but not’ used FSA Pig Pro for £15?

Daffy

Click the pic for more info from from Stif

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

don’t get a CK

CK + big forks = problems

Daffy

Surely a headset with a deeper bottm cup is the same as applying a tall race in terms of what it’ll do to available steerer length.

The above race is 5mm, the headset stack heigh difference is 3-3.5mm is 1.5mm really going to make any difference? I have more variation than that between stem/topcap interfaces across my myriad bikes.

radler
    Free Member

i had the same prob running revs and a crane creek something headset. the u-turn knob would strike the down tube if not folded over to the inside, as it were.

now have a syncros Hardcore Headset with lyriks and it’s fine; a good 2/3 mm clearance.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

A mate has used one of those on-one smoothies for years and its still fine. He’s a guide so it gets a lot of use.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Bugger!!! fork downtube interface problem. (66sl on my new DB Alpine)’ is closed to new replies.