Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Buffs – which one to get
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

Going to arrange getting a Buff as a birthday present – but which one?

Standard, merino or one of the fleece/windstopper ones.

Are the standard oens warm / windproof enough for winter?
    Are the fleece/winstopper ones too warm for most conditions??

decisions, decisions. or do I just get one of each!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

If you don't have any yet, either a standard one or a merino one. Polar buff is good but not so versatile.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Agree with rockthreegozy Polar buff is good in winter but too hot for the rest of year. Standard buff is good to keep warm when it's cold and also keep the sun off of your head/neck when it's hot (mine was invaluable when I marshalled at the weekender last year!)

matt_outandabout

I have standard, it is ok for winter, I think a merino one would rock – warmer, not as much washing maybe?
    The polar ones are great, but for proper cold days rather than wet/windy/nippy/50% of the time days.

cinnamon_girl

I have one or two! But I thought the Windstopper would be great as I really suffer from windchill. Now I don't know whether they have changed (got mine a couple of years ago) but I found it so tight that it gave me a headache! I do however have a large amount of hair so maybe that was the problem 🙄

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i got given a merino one for christmas. It is ace. much better than the standard one – i use them as a hat to cover my ears in the cold, and normal ones get damp and cold fairly quickly. the merino one gets damp too, but stays a bit warmer and my ears thank me for it.

chriswilk
    Free Member

seems like the merino one is fave so far.

If it helps I'm in Scotland so it never gets too hot. And it will mainly be used for night rides and early morning winter commutes.

cp

i've got a standard one and it does an amazing job of keeping wind chill at bay on the ears/head, and is far thinner than the thin fleece balaclava I use if it's really REALLY cold (like below feezing with a wind).

solarider
    Free Member

Definitely Merino. Keeps you warmer even when it's damp. Nice'n' soft. Doesn't need washing as much. Really versatile piece of kit.

ojom
    Free Member

We seem to be selling quite a few Merino ones over the normals these days.

Just popped mine in the wash after 2 months of everyday use… it didnt smell but the GF doesnt seem to think that's a good enough reason to have kept it on so long. She mutters stuff about me being minging, i wash, the muttering stops and kisses resume normal frequency.

Anyway, merino one, aye, they are good.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

standard

tk-maxx are doing buff-a-likes £12 for 3

Johnboy373
    Free Member

Awesome bits of kit. I bought my first 1 just the other day grey camo. best tenner I ever spent!!!

Wiksey
    Free Member

Oxford comfy is nearly as good as a buff but a 3 pack costs about the same as a buff – great if you tend to lose things 🙂

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=11914
    but search and you'll find cheaper

organic355
    Free Member

Ive been using the free one that came with MBR a few months ago, does the trick.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Consider getting one from a website rather than a shop, as generally the colours/patterns available in shops are dire.

I have used this site in the past.
    http://www.buffwear.co.uk/

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

wiksey – those are the ones in TK maxx.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Definitey less need to wash the marino ones but the newer standard buffs have silver bedded in them I think to reduce bacteria, so they are better than they used to be. Make sure the synthetic ones have a dangly tag mentioning the anti bacteria thing though, so you dont get old stock from a slow turnover shop.

spokebloke
    Free Member

We sell lots of the standard buff-a-likes (Morf) – £5 including delivery.
    Easily warm enough for snow rides in the past couple of weeks.
    And they have some 'silver protection' ballcocks that's meant to stop them turning green when you leave them in the boot of the car for a week after a ride.

Philby

There's a free one with January's edition of Cycling Plus.

Wooliferkins
    Free Member

I've got the winter one and swear by it. I usually use it as a beanie but have used it as a balaclava. If I start overheating it's a hint to break out the summer hats. Love mine

ona29er
    Free Member

I used a standard one Sunday for the first time cycling – great! Wore it under my bike helmet and it kept the chill of the ears and bonce (baldy).
    By teh way, sealskinz socks are fantastic – hikeabike in 18" snow in mesh sided spd's and no wet toes – brilliant.

Northwind

My Polar came with almost a whole standard buff attached… So I cut it in half, and still had too much fleecy buff, so I cut that in half again, and made earwarmers and a sort of abbreviated skullcap. And then I cut about 1/4 off the standard buff part to make a light face cover. All from one buff, very pleased!

alpin
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright – Member

standard

tk-maxx are doing buff-a-likes £12 for 3

😯

they were £6 for 3 back in january! they're a little tighter than a buff-buff but not extremely so. they're good value for money and as such bought three packs of three when i was over and distributed them amongst friends and family. my mum wears one when walking the dogs….

Bought my first one for work last week – a normal one and it's more than adequate to keep my neck warm – and easy to breathe through if I pull it up over my gob.

DWH
    Free Member

And there's me thinking they were just naff bits of overpriced lycra 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Do the merino ones get all damp and unpleasant if you wear them over your mouth Dick Turpin-style in the cold?

pascoa341
    Free Member

There's also this one in Merino: Chocolate Fish Merino

Don't know how it differs from a Merino Buff. Would be interesting to compare the different types of Buffs (any magazine editors reading here :-).

redthunder
    Free Member

Camo ones.

Or make your own 🙂

Crivvens
    Free Member

The ChocFish one is reviewed here (they call it a Tuara. The guy says the Tuara was better specially in winter.
    I'm biassed – got 2 of them. Much better than the polar buff that just smells after a couple of hours.

Dibbs
    Free Member

And there's me thinking they were just naff bits of overpriced lycra

I've got several home here lying around (free from various events), but it wouldn't cross my mind to waste ten quid or so on one, just another example of overpriced tat for gullible mountain bikers 🙄

allthepies
    Free Member

>just another example of overpriced tat for gullible mountain bikers

One of the few bits of "overpriced tat" I use on every ride + they last years.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Buffs – which one to get’ is closed to new replies.