Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • buffing a titanium frame
  • headsup-spam
    Free Member

I have a lovely 456ti. its from the year when the On-one logo was polished into the frame so that the logo is very shiny and the rest of the frame is matt.

Question: can the frame (easily) be made completely shiny?

merci!

flamejob
    Free Member

Polishing Ti requires a lot of elbow grease. It is also really dirty.

Basically get the hardest polishing soap you can get your hands on and go at it with the toughest polishing cloth/drill pad you can.

I polished flames into mine and it took about three weeks of evenings with a dremel.

Macavity
    Free Member

Have a look on Youtube there is a video of Kent Erikson titanium frames; where they bead blast the whole frame, then polish a smallish area put some (decals) indiviual letters on then blast that area again to have the name in contrast in shiny metal and the rest of the frame matt.
    Bead blasting is possibly a way of stress relieving (reducing the risk of surface cracks developing) the frame. Polishing a frame that has been bead blasted (might) will remove the benefits (if any) of having had it beadblasted.

scruff
    Free Member

Brillo pads, Autosol and lots and lots of elbow grease. I used a sander first off after it was bead blasted to smooth it. I was off work at the time with 1 broken arm, but I would never do it myself again.

Speshpaul

It would take a lot of hard work to get a even coat over the frame. And its one of those once you started there no going back kind of jobs.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Had mine polished professionally. It took him 1 day and cost me £70

Macavity
    Free Member

Although opinion varies on the effectiveness of bead blast versus shot blast

Home

scruzer
    Free Member

Duraglit

captaindanger

where do you find “professional polishers”!?

nicko74

Ah, Ken, I thought you might pop up on this subject! 🙂

Did you find that the polish scuffed at all?

nicko74

…and after reading that IF page, I want my Soda shot peened!

ken_shields
    Free Member

scruzer – Member
    Duraglit

Would take you about a million years with that

captaindanger – Member
    where do you find “professional polishers”!?

Yellow Pages under metal polishers (they don’t all do Ti tho’ as you need special polishing mops because the metal is so hard in comparison to aluminium)

Mine did lightly scuff after a while but nothing that couldn’t be easily polished out

ononeorange

Ken which part of the country is the guy who polished yours in please?

Macavity
    Free Member

IF recommend shot, even though shot blasting is normally considered far too aggresive for a bike frame. Vapour blast is maybe a better choice.

toys19
    Free Member

Bead blasting is possibly a way of stress relieving (reducing the risk of surface cracks developing) the frame. Polishing a frame that has been bead blasted (might) will remove the benefits (if any) of having had it beadblasted.

Although polishing has its own advantages which may be better than blasting. I did some research on this in the 90’s and there has since been loads more done. I actually think if you blast then polish you will have the best fatigue resistant finish.

ken_shields
    Free Member

I live in Milton Keynes so it will be near to here coz I remember going in the evening after work and it wasn’t that far but I can’t remember exactly. I’ll have a look through stuff when I get in and see if I can find out. If I was you I’d start by looking in the yellow pages

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘buffing a titanium frame’ is closed to new replies.