Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Buff as a 'sweatband/bandana'??
  • headfirst
    Free Member

Right, I know I’m going to have a hot, sweaty ride home this afternoon. I’ve got a buff with me that usually goes round my neck on cold mornings – if I wear it in a hat/bandana style to stop sweat dripping into my eyes will I got a hotter head than if I didn’t?

trail_rat
    Free Member

slightly hotter head but it stops the sweat

my buffs primary purpose is a bandana – wear it almost all the year round.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

tried this at the weekend – worked a treat.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Yep-wear mine all year round, you imagine your head would overheat but it works brilliantly-keeps your (crash) helmet fresher & stops sweat dripping in your eyes.

wwaswas

if you’re wearing it under a helmet go for ‘the pirate’

no bunching under the helmet and still keeps sweat out of your eyes.

(and if you have less hair than you used to stops your head gettign burned through the helmet vents…

fandango
    Free Member

Yep, go for the pirate look. A bit hotter, but that is outweighted by keeping the sweat out of your eyes.

Klunk
    Free Member

yep go pirate

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

yep pirate style all the time under helmet no sweat in eyes and helmet pads don’t get soaked in sweat so no stinky helmet

pstokes99
    Free Member

for the reasons already cited – pirate all the time.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Wear it year round, normally as a pirate. Stops sweat and helps keep sun off me noggin.

Scapegoat

Cut it into four hoops, and wear like a sweatband just above yr eyebrows. Much cooler than pirate.

druidh
    Free Member

The advantage of wearing a whole buff and not just a sweatband-sized strip is that the additional material will wick sweat away better and will dry out slightly as you are riding along.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Good here in Spain as well. On long hot climbs in the summer soak it in water and it keeps you much cooler.

dalepoint
    Free Member

After i lost vision in one eye last week for a day started wearing on the Jogle like it carried on the rest of the week works a treat. My roadie friend hated it with his cap under lid look. threatened to throw it in the sea on our arrival at Lands End.

billyboy
    Free Member

I think it helps

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Pirate for me this evening. Stops the sweat mixed with sunblock from getting in your eyes (and stinging). I think it keeps me cooler with the better evaporation.

nicko74

How do you make the pirate?

theotherjonv

fold the tube inside out. Cross your arms through the tube and then grasp the ends of the tube with the hands that are there (ie, your right hand, which is now on your left holds the left end of the tube)

Unfold arms, tidy up a bit, and you have a pirate.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iby07O7RuSY[/video]

oliverd1981
    Free Member

you can wash helmet pads you know…. for extra gross out points juice your sweaty helmet by leaning forward, squeezing the front pad against your forehead and making the sweat run off the helmet peak in a steady trickle.

Brownbacks
    Free Member

get a free genuine Buff marshalling for us this weekend!

neilferther
    Free Member

TKmaxx often have a set of three cheapy buffs for a few quid, they are just the right size to cut in half and wear under a lid.

alexpalacefan

+1 for Scapegoat. Cut ’em into a number of hoops, and you always have a fresh one to hand.

Loops the sweaty ones through a strap on the back of your pack and they’ll be dry in no time 🙂

APF

dickie
    Free Member

Try a Halo Headband – featured in ‘Fresh Goods Friday’ a while back.
    Has a little strip that goes against the forehead to channel off the fluid.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Just don’t get upset if it spoils your hair

xterramac
    Free Member

Another great way to wear Buff under the lid and a personal fave,

1,Turn it inside out and place on your head (going front to back)
    2,Put your hand inside the opening at the front, pressing into your forehead.
    3, Pull the top section towards the back of your head, exposing your hand fully.

Now you have a legionnaire style covering, stopping sweat running down the front and back, plus it will protect your neck from getting burnt in the sun….. High UV protection buffs are avalible for a £1 more than original buff…

Regards Buff man of the south

headfirst
    Free Member

It’s the OP here, I went without it on the ride home yesterday, it wasn’t that sweaty after all. Thanks for all the top tips though. I usually wear one of these(the non-tie ones) when it’s hot – they stop sweat rolling down my face and cool my head too, unfortunately only available in South Africa! (I live in Yorkshire) I’ve bought one with me today for the ride home – it’s scorching!!*

*In Yorkshire, scorching = over 15C

PS: They arrrrrrrrrr also very good for pirate impressions 😉

D0NK

sir will be requiring a sweatsucker

actually I think that product has changed recently, pretty sure it used to be a headband gutter that directed the sweat over your ears 🙂

<edit>oh here you go a rival, the sweatgutter

<edit again>there’s a few mad inventors at it, nice animation for those who don’t know what a sweaty head is like

headfirst
    Free Member

DONK: I have one of those sweat gutters, they aren’t pleasant to wear and you end up with wet patches on top of your thighs! 😐

edit: who in their right mind is going to wear something that says “SQUIRT: SWEAT SUCKER” all over it?? It sounds like some kind of pervert alert!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I eschew the Pirate in favour of a more normal over the head look in summer. Mainly as the “tail” of the buff then acts both as a sunblock for the back of my neck, but also an increased area of evaporation (of sweat!) and therefore cooling.

Never ride without a Buff.

crankcrusher
    Free Member

Hi the picture above is for the Halo Headbands which differ from the Sweatgutter.

The Halos have a yellow strip that seals against the head and then the sweat is channelled away from the eyes. Really simple and they work brilliantly. I was cycling in Italy most of last summer in 30+ degrees and I swear by them. Either the headband or beanie. Makes your helmet more comfortable too!!

Halo Headband

Review here

http://www.singletracks.com/bike-reviews/Headwear/Halo-Headband-Anti-Freeze-Headband_3057

haloheadband
    Free Member

Try a Halo Headband Bandana as a great alternative. They were featured in FRESH GOODS FRIDAY 158. DONK’s animation shows how the sweatblock seal inside the bandana works (different to the Sweatgutr) 😀

Available from Halo Headband

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Buff as a 'sweatband/bandana'??’ is closed to new replies.