Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bucks Off Road Sportive
  • kurvz
    Free Member

Hi , anyone on here doing the above ? , only started entering events this year so this will by my third , any tips ? , I just did HONC and really enjoyed that even though we missed the feed stop :@ , lol and also lost some distance so I only did 89Km Bummer !! .. How did you guys find it , apart from the signs It was spot on perfect 🙂 I thought it was going to be harder so im well pleased with my effort well less 11km 😛 not saying it was easy

I have some HONC footage if anyone is interested ?

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Yes I’m doing it.

Did it last year and it was good. Start was a bit rubbish as a long stretch of single track straight away with no where to overtake but I think they have changed it for this year.

Good luck!

aP
    Free Member

Yes, doing it again, on a cx bike again (probably) just need to get my tub wheels retrued after the cx sportive earlier in the year.
    The first section was a bit crowded on the singletrack but then it opened up somewhat. There were a couple of sections where the signing was a bit difficult to work out, but all in all quite fun.

Kryton57

I’m in. What’s the recommendations on the bike? FS for comfort or is the course easy enough bump-wise to use a hardtail?

aP
    Free Member

Well I rode the long one on a cyclo cross bike with 34mm tubs with no problems – does that answer your question?

kurvz
    Free Member

Im gonna take the Hardtail although next years HONC im gonna use my FSR , good luck guys

pete68
    Free Member

Yep ,doing it for the third year. Prefer it to HONC as its not as busy. Theres less people and the start times are split. The first bit of single track was nose to tail last year but hardly matters, it’s not a race and you have hours of riding after.

Kryton57

It’s not a race? Oh….

sam_underhill

First sportive for me! “just” doing the 100k. It’ll be the biggest distance I’ve done in one go.

kurvz
    Free Member

http://youtu.be/xbMf–po-DM?hd=1 thats my footage from HONC start had to play catch up a new experience for me , and my team mates were long gone

Kryton57

Thats got me thinking, I’ve entered to 100k. Should I go for the 132k? (I’m racing the Gorrick Enduro the week after….)

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I used a hard tail last year for the race…I mean sportive. Not too bumpy

Do the full distance. It’s not that bad!

kerv
    Free Member

Yep I’m in, did the long one last year and again this year. I will be racing, probably just against myself, but racing!!

wisepranker
    Free Member

I’m doing it this year but can’t decide what distance and whether to go FS or HT!

Too many choices!

ononeorange

Done it since 2004 (I think) in its various incarnations, although missed last year as I was on crutches (helped out at the start/finish though).

Doing it this year with Mrs O, we’ll do the shorther distance but I have done the full distance before – it is very weather dependent as is any riding in this part of the world – if it’s been wet in the week or two leading up to it, it’ll be hard. If dry, the distance is fine. Hardtail (IMO) is all you need round this way, so long as you can take the bumps through your posterior for 6+ hours.

benslow
    Free Member

Am sitting in the office, rain sleeting against the window and thinking how fast, dry and dusty it was last year.

Doing it this year too – its a great days riding.

Free pint, mug and t-shirt too.

mcboo
    Free Member

Bucks Off Road is a great event, did it last year with Mutant above. Its a long old way 135km but last year almost all the climbing was done by about 100km I think, then a nice run in to the finish.

Was bone dry but after a very busy first couple of miles we got going at a good lick. Still took us 7hrs…..if its wet (and it looks like it will be) I’m going to take the cut-off for 100km. You can decide that on the day out on the trail.

Kryton57

benslow – Member

Free pint, mug and t-shirt too.

For which distances – just the 132k?

Kryton57

I’m still musing about which bike to take.

The lightweight Ti HT, ridden twice , or my trusty dependable ASR-5 for guaranteed comfort over the distance…

😐

marting
    Free Member

Will be doing the 132km route, on my FS bike. I’ve ridden it on both FS and HT, but that’s purely for comfort. There’s nothing on the route that particularly benefits from the FS otherwise.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

whats conditions like? was soo great last year

benslow
    Free Member

This yrs mail says you get a momento as well as your tea and lager ticket.

As much as I like my beer I couldn’t face a pint so had two sweet teas and a … *J20* …

😯

mcboo
    Free Member

Last year was bone dry and took us 7hrs……I dunno about 132km in the wet. Please stop raining.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bucks Off Road Sportive’ is closed to new replies.