Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Broken thumb – how obvious?
  • aracer
    Free Member

Fell over and banged my thumb. Didn’t feel too bad at the time and I could still move it with a bit of pain, though it’s now getting rather more painful. Mrs aracer predictably says I’m just being a wuss, but is it worth a trip to the local minor injuries unit? I presume if so it will wait till morning now, as the MI unit doesn’t do x-rays after 5 (and I really don’t fancy going to A&E at the big hospital, assuming I can get there).

stratobiker
    Free Member

Very obvious I’d say.
    There’s an unmistakeable senasation/feeling you get with a broken bone.

I hope yours isn’t.

SB

the-muffin-man

Could be your scaphoid bone (just behind the thumb).

Hope it isn’t though – its a bugger to heal. I spent 4 months in plaster with mine!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I used to bang my thumbs up a lot on the dry ski slope so picked a few tips up after a few breaks, a couple of dislocations and lots of sprains/ligament tears!

Try running under hot tap until it’s too hot, then cold tap until too cold, then repeat several times to tackle the swelling.

See if you can touch the tip of your little finger with your thumb. If you can, chances are it’s not broken.

Broken thumb will probably just be strapped and immobilised for a 3-4 weeks.

Try not to damage the other one – heading to the loo needs a lot of planning ahead!

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Thumbs are awful injuries – I only bent mine back and ended up not riding for weeks… Its amazing how little you notice your thumb when all is well.. Hope you have nothing to spoil Christmas!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Broken thumb – how obvious?’ is closed to new replies.