Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • broken maxle axle – how to fix
  • MadBillMcMad

my Orange 5 has a maxle rear swingarm.

Sadly I broke the axle at the weekend- no idea how !
    How easy is it to fit a new one and any idea what size that would be ?

it is as built by Orange so I guess it is a Hope Pro 2 hub but is that 10 or 12 mm ?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

12x135mm

mr-bump
    Free Member

How did you brake the axle?

diplomatt
    Free Member

Have you broken the Maxle itself or the hollow axle in the Hope hub?

If it's the Maxle itself what has broken? I snapped off half the 'tightening collar' (the bit with Maxle etched on) but can still tighten and loosen by using the one remaining half.

If it's actually the hollow axle in the Hope hub itself are you using a Maxle or a Maxle Lite (with the thin centre section)? The hollow axle is only ~1.5mm thick and the stepdown where it enters the freehub body is the obvious weakpoint. I snapped a 15 month old hollow axle 3 rides after switching to a Maxle Lite from the broken Maxle.

Matt

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Good luck with orange.

Their bikes don't break, so it will be your fault. 🙄

coatesy
    Free Member

But it isn't the bike broken, just a component. I'm guessing it's the hub axle, had one in a few weeks back with the same problem, spoke to Fishers who said they'd had no problems, ditto Hope who sent out a new axle.Suspect it may well be the thin section of the maxle reducing axle support as mentioned above.

diplomatt
    Free Member

Are Rock Shox still making the Maxle or can you only get the Maxle Lite now?

Wonder if there are other hubs available with a thicker hollow axle? But then they'd need bearings with a bigger internal diameter so the bearings would be tosh.

MadBillMcMad

cheers guys,

it is just the axle of the maxle, not idea though if it is a Lite or not.

The bike is only 4 months old so Biketreks have agreed to take a look at it to see if it can get replaced under warranty.

toons
    Free Member

The rear maxle is different, to the maxle used in RS forks.

Ring Orange first, they should stock them.

if not try Madison
    http://www.madison.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?vertical=Cycling&catref=CMS090

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘broken maxle axle – how to fix’ is closed to new replies.