Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • broken freehub? I think??
  • ads678

On my home from work last night and a few times when starting to pedal the hub didn’t engage cranks just spun, lots of cracks and bangs and i nearly came off a couple of times when trying to put the power down!!

The bike, 2004 GT Avalache, is pretty old now and it’s not just the wheels that need replacing really. so i’m thinking of spending the moeny on getting a new complete bikem maybe cycle to work scheme, rather than rplacing worn parts on a not particularly great bike. I’m thinking hardtail 29er for commuting, rides with the kids and general XC duties. but in the mean can i fix the old wheel cheap while i think about it (reason with the wife!!) 🙂

wwaswas

depends on hub design – Shimano are disposable so you’d need to source a new one – might be cheaper just to buy a complete wheel SH tbh if it’s low end.

some other freehubs are serviceable but what parts supply will be like is anyones’s guess…

rocketman
    Free Member

If you hub is Shimano all you need is a new freehub (£21) a 15mm cone spanner a 17mm spanner and a 10mm hex key

ads678

Yeah it’s shimano. Deore i think.

MarkN
    Free Member

It does sound like the free hub is shot. My old GT had a cup and cone Shimano hub on it. Yes you could open up the hub and have a look. Park tool website has a great guide to do this. You may find broken/worn pawls or it could just be full of rust and gunked up grease that is keeping the pawls back.

ads678

Cheers for that lads, don’t want to spend too much on it if i’m gonna get a new bike anyway. but don’t want to be riding an Orange Five to work everyday!!

nosedive
    Free Member

just a thought, but are you sure it isn’t just the chain slipping around a worn cassette?

ads678

The cassette does need replacing but it’s not that worn. i tried turning the pedals with my hands and it slipped a few times. I reckon some of the pawls are broken but engages if it cathes a decent one?!?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘broken freehub? I think??’ is closed to new replies.