Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • broken frame bolt thingy HELP!
  • Shizzletrack
    Free Member

Having a mare! I’ve got a load of training to do and a broken road bike. The bolt has snapped clean off and left the thread in the chain stay. Evans suggest I strip it down, take it into them and they’ll send it to Italy 🙁

The issue being I need to train on it BIG TIME and can’t afford a couple of months off. Would you attempt to fix it yourself? Any advice?

wwaswas

gaffer tape?

5lab

train on a different bike? riding a mtb will do your legs just as much of a workout. alternitively, get a £100 roadbike off the freeads and use that

what’s actually snapped? the bolt head from the thread? did you do it when tightening or loosening the bolt? could you drill it out and use a chainring bolt?

Shizzletrack
    Free Member

Yeah, its the bolt head, but I haven’t tightened or loosened it. No idea where I could source a new one as bike shops don’t seem to stock them. I’ve been hammering the trails with my mountain bike, but just worrying that 20-30miles on a mtb will not replicate 200km in the welsh moutains in June.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Second using a different bike.

If the bolt has just snapped then it can’t be that tough a mechanical repair.

almightydutch
    Free Member

No your right 20-30 miles off road wont replicate 200km of Welsh Mountains. You need to up your mileage to more like 80-100 off road

rabyoung
    Free Member

It’ll be easy to get the threaded portion out of the frame. Have you still got the head? let’s have a look as it’s probably a standard, high tensile Allen type

rabyoung
    Free Member

BTW, Keep all the bits and get them measured with a Vernier caliper (your LBS should have one) then you can search for a replacement.

5lab

as a home-made bodge, you could glue something to the remainder of the bolt and twist that to remove the bit thats left in

Nothing to stop you doing 200km on a mtb. in fact it’d train you more

z1ppy

find a local engineering shop, they’ll pop the old bits out in no time, and probably have a bolt that’ll fit it in the stores.

EDIT: As much as I like bike shop’s, they don’t ‘tend’ to be run/staffed by ppl with any engineering nous

Shizzletrack
    Free Member

sorry for the crappy iphone images, this is the head, and it is an allen key type

Diawl
    Free Member

As long as you can get what’s left of the old bolt out you could try here for a replacement. I’ve used them and they’re very fast and reasonably priced.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

It’ll be something along the lines of a bog standard, off the shelf M5 or M6 countersunk machine screw. Probably high tensile (does it have 8.8 stamped on the head).

Any decent old-school hardware store/engineering supplier will have them and it won’t cost more than a quid or so to sort.

Marko

Post your location and I’m sure the hive mind will offer you help or a solution
    Marko

cyclebiker

Hello Dude,
    I would imagine that I normal machine screw will do the job fine. if you can measure the length and the thread diameter I am more than happy (well my company will be) in supplying you with a new screw (and some replacements). Where are you?. if the worst comes to the worst you could always drill out the bit that is stuck in the frame then using something called a helicoil you can re-thread and put a new screw back in.

What bike is it and are there any numbers on the head of the screw as this will show the tensile strength of it.
    Cheers,
    Mark.

stgeorge

If there’s the same set up on other side, remove that bolt as pattern for bolt shop.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Take the good bolt out of the other side and use it to replace the broken one on the opposite side.
    Job done.

wwaswas

Take the good bolt out of the other side and use it to replace the broken one on the opposite side.
    Job done.

Stan Laurel lives 🙂

[edit] send cyclebiker the ‘good’ one to match up. removing the end of the broken one won’t be too difficult once the seat stays are able to move out the way.

kaesae
    Free Member

Is the bolt steel ot alloy, it looks like a basic allan key counter sunk or raised counter sunk head screw.

What is the length and diameter of the thread ❓ I keep bolts and screws in stock I might have a replacement!

If you do replace it remember to thread lock the replacement, so that it doesn’t work loose.

If you can’t get any joy elsewhere my emails in my profile, I will help out.

dnchevy
    Free Member

which bit is the bolt stuck in if your near bracknell can help have stud removers also if nec heli coiles

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘broken frame bolt thingy HELP!’ is closed to new replies.