Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Broken collarbone recovery time?
  • flatout
    Free Member

Hi All,

I had a crash on Wednesday, during a 2up TT and went over the bars and have broken my collarbone quite badly. Badly enough I'm booked in for pre-op check up on Monday and surgery on Wednesday. Going to be having a plate/pin/screw repair job done. Recovery time should be quicker than just letting it heal/fix naturally.

Although I'm entered in the Kielder 100 in September and I'm a little worried about recovery time (I have 3 months) and I want to get a good recovery plan in place. Does anybody have any good recommendations?

Cheers,
    Paul

Tonylem
    Free Member

3 months is loads of time. Had mine plated and was rattling down the Pleney after 8 weeks.

mactheknife

i was out riding in 6 but had a mental block for ages. Told myself in great STW tradition to MTFU. It did'nt work.

Na after about 3 or 4 weeks of complete rest i started going to spin classes to get my lega back in order then on the bike gently after 6.

Take it easy though because its so easy as you heal to start rushing and another fall or jerk will set you back to day 1.

mactheknife

Double post – sorry 😯

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Broke mine 5 weeks ago & going for my 1st outing on a bike tomorrow, it will have to be on my roadie, as the new mtb has not arrived yet.

flatout
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies/comments. I'm hoping to get on the turbo soon, just to keep the legs moving. Will just sit upright and put no weight through my upperbody.

Just wondering if there were any exercises that were useful. Had thought about some of the resistance bands after a while.

I'll see what they say on Monday about physio.

Paul

spinout
    Free Member

About 3-4 months in my case. The problem seemed to be getting the bits to fuse (I didn't have an op). Once the bone fused recovery was fairly quick.

I guess if you are having a plate fitted that might help?

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

flat out, this may be a bit cheeky but i have recently been set a sports injuries assignment\] and it requires me to log pictures of various injuries through out the recovery process, is it possible for some photo's?

John

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

flat out, this may be a bit cheeky but i have recently been set a sports injuries assignment\] and it requires me to log pictures of various injuries through out the recovery process, is it possible for some photo's?

John

flatout
    Free Member

Hi fourcrossjohn,

Yea sure don't mind. I've got a few, one of my shoulder and one of my left hip/lower back. They were taken the morning after the accident.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=176574&id=584377102&l=1975bb7085

The bruising has developed further from these images.

How could I get them to you?

Paul

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

ive added you on facebook and we can exchange emails

mactheknife

i didnt have an operation and mine went well. 6 weeks 😛 as above.

mattymer
    Free Member

well that gives me hope, i disrupted my acj (shoulder) two weeks ago and it feels alot better but with some limited movement, fortunately no broken bones for me so i hope mine is healed in six weeks too.

flatout
    Free Member

Not good news. 'Dr' reckons possibly 9 months of the bike/running. Not a happy bunny…

flatout
    Free Member

Quick update:

I had surgery 7 days after the accident, which was 11 weeks ago. Also found out after surgery that I had also dislocated my shoulder too.

– So having been sat at home for 7 days with broken my clavicle (40mm displacement near the shoulder joint), fractured two ribs and dislocated my shoulder. I had fixation surgery with a restrictive plate, which will have to me removed, once the bone is healed/fused enough for it to be removed. This normally takes about 6 months generally.

– 3 week check up with Physio, having been give a few exercises to get the shoulder moving. All went well, although still taking lots of pain relief 24/7. Sleeping on back was getting better.

– 5 weeks had stopped taking the pain relief (a mix of: Diclofenac Sodium, Codeine Phosphate and Ibuprofen), but occasionally taking Ibuprofen if needed.

– 6 week check up with consultant, had a new x-ray and we could see the bone was starting to fuse back together. Given the all clear to start driving again, if the shoulder felt ok. Keep up with Physio exercises.

Arranged for another check up/x-ray on September 16th, which will be 16 weeks (4 months) after surgery. Fingers crossed all is good and I can get a date for removal. Removal surgery should be an in/out same day procedure, but I'm not in any rush.

– 11 weeks after surgery (today) and all is feeling good. I have got as much movement in my shoulder as I will get with the fixation plate still fitted. Now just need to start losing those extra pounds I've put on in the past 11 weeks! It'll be all the extra full fat milk, protein intake. Have been taking Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc, Multi-Vit, Vit C and Omega 3 supplements.

Did my first 'spin class' on Monday (since surgery) and that was longest I've managed on a bike (1 hour), 30 mins on the turbo had been the most to date.

Paul

steveh

Not much help to you I know but for those who are searching in the future maybe. Check these guys out…
    http://www.physioclinic.net

I went to see them 5 days after breaking my collar bone in to 4 bits. The hospital were borderline plating mine, I decided against it. £200 and 2 1 hour sessions in a day. I was back on the road bike 2 weeks later and the xc bike 3 weeks (so 3 and 4 from the break date) I had my final hospital check today and they were very happy. Been riding dh pretty much all day since I left the hospital.

tangent
    Free Member

Hey Paul,

I smashed my collar bone to bits a couple of seasons ago on the road.
    For me surgey didn't seem to be an option in my case. Healing / bone knitting seemed "geologically" slow, or for quite some time non-existant…however a "full uninion" was eventually achieved…coincidently I went for my first gentle bike ride (nice flat limestone grassland) , around 9 months after the crash.

The main activity I replaced everything with was swimming, right from early on, with broken limb floating / along, and gradually progessing it from there as best as I could. It helped keep fitness and general good form going, and I like to think boosted recovery.

Anyway goodluck with your recovery…sounds as if your well on the way now.

cheers,

J

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1 for steveh he wasnt hanging round last time I saw him, another friend went there and was racing dh within 6 weeks

datsunman

I went to Brian too (did mine 5 months ago) and it made no difference whatsoever, although mine was fractured right near the shoulder (distal I think).

It's still b*ggered now but have been told surgery is only 50/50 so still contemplating what to do….

flatout
    Free Member

Hello,

Yea mine was done on the road doing a 2 up time trial, we were around the 28 mph mark when it happened, so it wasn't a soft landing! I had been given the details of http://www.physioclinic.net, shortly afterwards. But given the distance to get there and the fact I couldn't get there too, I didn't contact them.

My intention has been to go swimming, but as the gravel rash scars on my shoulder have only just stopped producing scabs have been unable to get in the pool.

Cheers for the other responses too.

Paul

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Broken collarbone recovery time?’ is closed to new replies.