Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Broken adjustable seatposts
  • brant
    Free Member

Anyone bust an adjustable seatpost? Got any pics/details?

Interested to see failures.

Email probably better – him@shedfire.com

tia.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting to say the least!

Go on then…whassi'for?

themolland
    Free Member

I had a Speedball which came stock on a ransom, and after not much use, the two silver parts of the clamp bent outwards, to the extent that you could just pull the saddle off with a sharp tug. They fixed it for me, but its the worse clamp design i've ever seen on a seatpost

slowrider
    Free Member

hi brant,

cant get in to my hotmail at work and my work email wont send out of our system. they havent twigged on STW yet though.

i bust a gravity dropper through my own fault a while back, i put it in a work stand, clamped just below where the cable enters the post. the clamp wasnt tight enough, the bike slipped and the bonded bit that the cable goes in to came off. i sent it back and they gave me a new one under warranty, good on em! i still use one of these now, although they only have 1 (or 2) positions they are easy to service and use and last pretty well even after a few heavy crashes etc.

Ive also got a pure racing one, its not broke but the vertical needle bearings have scored the back of the post despite regular maintenance and grease. so far this hasnt affected performance though. also, very easy to service.

hope this is of some use.

brant
    Free Member

Go on then…whassi'for?

Cos I want one for my bike, and I was sort of wondering what some of the failure modes were if I was going to make one.

grumm
    Free Member

My i900 goes down if it's own accord quite a bit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My experience and popular beefs seem to be rotational play, cost and need for maintenance (oh and a few broken seatclamps but there's no need for that IMO)…the up/down mechanisms (the only other aspect that can't be taken from a std seatpost) all seem to work fine.

higgo
    Free Member

Not a failure as such but you can't get one with an i-beam head yet.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

why can they not have a splined shaft to remove rotational play?

brant
    Free Member

Some seem to use plastic keys in keyways. So that's sort of splined.

I think also there are issues about bending loads and splinded shafts and dirt and clogging up.

It's quite interesting.

neil853
    Free Member

Brant,

Have to say this is a market that could be exploited with the right product. I have a speedball that is a good product except for the complete lack of longevity. The function is good but like someone else has said on here, the rotational play is excessive and happens quickly. An issue for me (rightly or wrongly) is also asthetics. The speedball (joplin) are a good looking item, the gravity dropper is one of the ugliest products known to man.

Due to the situtaion of spare parts becoming obselete for my maverick i'll be after another adjustable seatpost, the thing is i don't think any of the current products are any good, or at least proven to be reliable.

I'd certainly be interested with any proucts you come up with?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lefty-style bearings a possibility?

Or an arrangement like the USE – prob too ugly.

I like the idea of a parallelogram one (also too ugly) which you could move forward for steep climbs.

I've patented the above ideas btw >:^P

brant
    Free Member

Anyone got any broken ones that they can send me?

If I ever do something for production, I'll assure you of a hefty discount/proto testing?

slugwash
    Free Member

Brant, slight thread hijack but one of the bolts on my twelfty seatpost sheared. So could you do a bit of retrospective customer service and tell me what size replacement bolt I should be asking for in my LBS.

Cheers.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

MY i900 seizes up and the nut on the bottom of the inner shaft won't do up now and its very irrratic when it does work. Uk conditions not nwell suited to adjustable seatposts IMO, my mate has bought a i900 with what looks like a bit of a facelift but he is still experiencing similar problems, he has the lever under the seat version I have the remote and have broken the remote lever twice.

I would avoid, unless your good at maintance.

FuzzyWuzzy

No problems so far with my i900r apart from snapping the remote clamp. It is pretty finicky about cable tension/setup though.

slowrider
    Free Member

maintenance is the key, it takes ten minutes to service, worth doing after every couple of muddy rides on i900, a bit longer on a GD.

kimbers

my friend returned his crank bros joplin coz the sealing was pants and he was having to empty out a load of mud and water after every wet ride

kimbers

also saw 2 broken ones at the megavalanche this year, including one guy who was repeatedly hitting his gravity dropper to make it go down

I_Ache
    Free Member

I had an i900 and it was great but on occasion it did require a bit of a bounce to get it down. Not a massive problem but A bit of a pain when you want it to drop fast.

I think the layback post is part of the reason for this and a large cause of stiction because of where the weight is pushing down on the post vertically. Frame design would be a factor in this seat angle etc.

FWIW I see no real need for a remote option because it is so easy to drop and so fast that you barely have your hand off the bar.

Del

i've seen two i900 have scratches in the anodizing occur within 20mins and 40mins of theirs first rides.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Oh yea mine was scratched too. But only after about 6 months in the mud of last 'summer' with no maintenance.

Junkyard
    Free Member

sadly both of mine still work but I can lend you a GD for research if you return it undamaged within a few weeks/cover postage/meet at lee Quarry. I can then lend you a Maverick remote on similiar deal.
    Any use?
    GD'd dont like being stored in the down position if that helps any?
    Surely EdO can give you his*
    * his usually implies he parted witrh cash for it 😉

brant
    Free Member

Brant, slight thread hijack but one of the bolts on my twelfty seatpost sheared. So could you do a bit of retrospective customer service and tell me what size replacement bolt I should be asking for in my LBS.

Cheers.

Depending on which one you've got, it's either an M5 or M6 bolt x quite long.

brant
    Free Member

GD'd dont like being stored in the down position if that helps any?

Odd. With it being a steel spring and that?

Thanks for the GD offer. I have a brand new one coming out for me to have a look at.

Was more interested in failures.

Junkyard
    Free Member

nice way of writing money off the tax bill due to research eh? 😉

It started to sort of jam and needed to be pulled up a few times to go free is odd perhaps age related? The pull out bit (non remote often jams and the scres are so small they strip easily if you try to remove.
    If it gets side play (mine has not yet) then they ar ewoprse than a Maverick
    Maverick wise the top seal bit/nut thingy (red bit on Crank bors iirc) can only be done up hand tight and can let in water (use a chainstay cover to prevent this) and then be abugger to clean
    Wear on the guide blocks my only issue.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Why not an oval section shaft, could still use o-rings to seal then too.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I got a RASE Black Mamba for the Mega. Did it's job, but it developed quite a lot more play over a weeks worth of use, and the shaft is quite heftily scored now, despite using the supplied neoprene sock.

The seat clamp is an absolute pile of freshly steaming bobbins too – big, clunky, agricultural, limited adjustability and saddle compatibility.

So not broken, but not great either. (and I couldn't take the fuill 9"!)

brant
    Free Member

I got a RASE Black Mamba for the Mega. Did it's job, but it developed quite a lot more play over a weeks worth of use, and the shaft is quite heftily scored now, despite using the supplied neoprene sock.

and it sounds like some sort of dildo.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why not an oval section shaft, could still use o-rings to seal then too.

Nice and easy to manufacture…

and it sounds like some sort of dildo.

(and I couldn't take the fuill 9"!)

Indeed!

BigDummy
    Free Member

Snuffles with larfter at the RASE Black Mamba. 😆

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Nice and easy to manufacture…

Unlike an adjustable seatpost… 😯

JonEdwards
    Free Member

You weren't the only one. Even the meager 7" I could accept was more than enough for fullfillment, and it sure as hell punched you one in the ass when you hit the trigger.

More here

tangobravo
    Free Member

I had a problem with my i900 getting scratched on the anodising, popped an email over to the distributors and they said they are waiting for parts but they would replace it with brand new one in a couple of weeks.

Aparantly they have changed the bushings of the post a litle and it stops them scratching the anodising, not that it made is stop working or anything. Plus its 10 months old, much better than my crap bros jopsh*T

stealthcat

Try explaining to you dad why your partner wants a 9" RASE black mamba shipped to your dad's address…

And then try explaining why it's wanted in a hurry!

FWIW, my 2nd hand GD seems to have survived the Mega fine, but it does have a chunk of inner tube keeping the crap out.

kimbers

brant i believe u may want to check out spev's thread

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Broken adjustable seatposts’ is closed to new replies.