Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • broadband recommendations please?
  • felixthecat
    Free Member

Currently run Tiscali which seems very slow.
    Virgin media seems to come out top but i think they use the cable network and were cabeless out in the sticks.
    Was very impressed with the speed of my parents Bt homehub.

wwaswas

by and large if you're in the sticks then the limiting factor is going to be the distance you are from the exchange, which is going to be the same whoever your provider is.

The other thing might be contention – if lots of people in your area use the same supplier then you may also be losing bandwidth because of that. Do one of the web speed test things at different times of the day – if it's consistent then it's probably not contention causing the slowness.

marcher
    Free Member

Try this link:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top50.php

I wouldn't take it as gospel but some of the reviews are enlightening.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    retro83
    Free Member

If o2 have installed their new gubbins in your exchange then they're excellent. We went from an unreliable 4 mbit on sky to a stable 8 mbit on o2. Its cheaper as well and you get 3 months free when you sign up.

GrahamS

ISP Comparator:
    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html

No cable option here, so I'm using Zen ADSL:
    http://www.zen.co.uk/Broadband/athome.aspx

Not the cheapest, but rock solid.
    Consistently wins Best Provider awards from PC Pro, Which? and PC Advisor.

finnegan
    Free Member

A second vote for Zen – customer service as it should be. Switched to them when we moved house solely on the reports of good customer service – as wwaswas says, out in the sticks distance from the exchange and quality of lines is likely to be the limiting factor, whichever ISP you choose, but we'd had such s**t service from Pipex we were willing to pay extra just to get better customer service.

After a flying start for 6 months (faster and more stable than we'd had in that London), we started getting a lot of trouble with our connection just dropping. Zen were excellent, and actually ended up contacting BT direct on our behalf, and were willing to swallow the callout charge if it turned out not to be a BT problem (it was – the little grey box on the nearest telegraph pole was full of water…).

Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

woffle
    Free Member

I'd avoid Sky if like us you're limited to their 'standard' service. They throttle like mad between about 4:30pm and 12pm which can make iPlayer etc unusable (comically enough they obviously don't limit visits to broadband speed checking websites). Most irritatingly they've also recently starting cutting back ssh connections to < 25kb which has made working from home a PITA – had to setup a VPN which I could have done without.

Their customer service line is utter cruddy too – I've tried to get specific answers about what they do to the ssh connections and they won't budge from a standard 'we have to do some shaping to some users' response, cant get any more information from them at all.

If I could afford it / was working from home any more I'd move back to Zen but for the occasional day out of the office I'm currently doing I can't justify the extra £££.

Olster
    Free Member

Have had a good connection & exceptional service with O2. Reseller for BT – deals to be had if you're already an O2 customer.
    I'm pretty close to a BT switch tho' so bandwidth is excellent. I'd rather deal with a reseller than BT direct, much quicker service bizarrly.
    I've heard good things about the BT home-hub, equipment is made by one of my clients.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another (biased) vote for 02.. Under £8 a month for 10mb speeds.. No dramas here..

stumpy01

My parents are on 02 and as far as I know they have had no problems and it's flippin' quick.
    We've got Talktalk & it's cheap & fast. 8Mb broadband normally gives us about 6Mb when I check it.

felixthecat
    Free Member

cheers guys

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘broadband recommendations please?’ is closed to new replies.