• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Broadband Question
  • steve-g
    Free Member

Please help me, it’s all too confusing.

I just bought myself a cheap laptop as the GF is now on maternity leave and needs to keep connected to the outside world. I only want to use it for emailing people and basic stuff, I’m not going to be downloading loads of music or films or anything. My flat has a phone socket but I don’t have a phone number. I’ve seen sky offer basic TV, limited broadband and a phone for 16.50 a month so my questions are….

Will I also need to pay line rental to BT at the same time?
    If so will I need to pay them to activate my phone line?
    Is there a cheaper way of getting just the broadband?

I am going to be moving in about 3 or 4 months is it worth the hassle organising all this now (how easily will it all be transfered) or should I just wait?

Cheers
    Steve

robbo1234biking

It is likely that if there is no landline you will have to get one installed at a cost of around £115. if you are moving in 3-4 months why dont you look at mobile broadband for about £15 a month assuming you get a good reception in the area?

Haze

My BT line was activated for free (it was already installed, just not active)

And yes, you’ll have to pay BT for line rental – although there may be an option to pay this to Sky for a quid or 2 cheaper.

I was told I can transfer the account when I move, will probably need a new number as we’re off to a different area code.

If it’s only 3 or 4 months though, I’d do what Robbo suggested and sort it all out when you’re properly settled.

joemarshall
    Free Member

BT now have a minimum 12 month contract period, even for just line rental. Most others are similar.

If you are lucky you might be able to move with it, but if you’re not careful you might end up being charged a cancellation fee equal to 8 months line rental.

Joe

theflatboy
    Free Member

BT are usless c*$!s.

cp

another vote that mobile broadband might be the way to go, maybe on PAYG if you only need it for a short time?

steve-g
    Free Member

The laptop has wireles built in so if I go to a bar or cafe with wifi then I can get on that for free I think, is that what you mean by mobile broadband? Or do you mean get myself a flash mobile and do it through that?

robbo1234biking

If you do need the land line then go with the post office. they still charge the installation fee but are only on a rolling monthly contract – there is no minimum term you have to stay with them.

timber

mobile broadband is a special usb stick from a phone provider, plug in. dial, go

I’m with the post office, seem easy going, have 0800 numbers and you speak to someone in this country. Their service is subbed off BT, but who else has wires outside of the major cities?

Haze

what you mean by mobile broadband?

Something like this

But shop around for the best deal, Vodafone may not be the best one!

Olly
    Free Member

with sky you will have to pay BT ontop.

some deals, will pay the BT line rental for you

SOME companies, are priced in such a way, that having thier broadband, phone, and cable TV package is CHEAPER than paying BT for line rental alone, let alone before you make any calls, as they include it all.

A mobile bb dongle or card, is like plugging a mobile phone into the computer.
    if your not using oodles of bandwidth per month (just browsing and emailing etc), and have ok reception probably perfect!
    and you can use that anywhere you like, on the same account

free wifi in places like wetherspoons is the same as connecting to a wireless network at home, only you can go an ask them for thier passwords at the bar!

be aware, using free wifi, that it is possible for people to sit nearby, with “fake” log in pages being transmited from thier laptop, so when you go to log in, and it asks for bank details, your really typing them onto thier own laptop.

check with the staff in-house how the connection setup should work, and make sure it DOES work as they say it should.

cinnamon_girl

Avoid BT like the plague. If you move house and change number you start another contract. Do you really want to deal with their call centre monkeys? They are truly shocking in their contempt for customers.

Olly
    Free Member

http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/mobile_broadband/

i would agree with CGs opinions too.
    when i get around to it, ill probably go mobile.

if you get the right netbook, you can put the sim directly into it, to save having a dongle.
    rad!
    im gonna get me one of them!

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I think at the moment sky are offering free line rental. so your montly bill would be £16.50 for line rental, evening calls, upto 2mb broadband and 1 mix.

After 12 months that’d go upto £27.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve heard horror stories about mobile BB being slower than dial-up even ins upposedly well-supported areas.

I’ve had no problems at all, ever, with BT.

Just to buck the trends.

cinnamon_girl

coffeeking – you are the exception Sir!

steve-g
    Free Member

I’ve decided I am going to leave it until I move house and then get proper broadband. Until then the most cost effective option appears to be spending money on beer in the bar in the complex where I live and using their free wifi, if I am lucky I might even be able to connect to it once I am back indoors.

MrAgreeable

I’d be careful with mobile broadband. Mine started off good but has got patchier and patchier and is now as bad for slowness/dropping connections as dial-up.

Haze

Same here, never any problems with BT!

I wouldn’t go for mobile broadband as a permanent solution, only as a stop gap ’til you can get a proper line 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Broadband Question’ is closed to new replies.