Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Bring on the bivvying!
  • twang
    Free Member

Just another month or so, when the nights aren’t so tediously long, and I’ll be off up my local woods to spend the first of many nights this year with the squirrels, deer, foxes and doggers…Ray Mears on a bike me! Anybody else crave the woodsy life or am i reverting to a Neandathal?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Me. I intend to do some Bivvying this year, although this early in the year is not my preferred. I’m going for the enxtended riding experience rather than the whole bivvy thing.

BitterBaldingFatty
    Free Member

I’d love to do some bivvying, but I’m afeared. Afeared of the cold, of wild animals, of my bike getting nicked while I’m asleep, of forgetting something important, of starting a fire i can’t put out, and so much more!

swisstony
    Free Member

we’ve started planning out first bivvy but not until it warms up a fair bit!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its quite fun planning the ultralite endeavour!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i bought an alpkit hunka last week, totally impulsively, but obviously i intend to put it to use. probably gonna wait until april/may though…

soma_rich
    Free Member

My last one on the top of the South Downs Way was far and away the best bivvy I have done:

But ones just up in the woods are fun too

twang
    Free Member

For me, there’s nothing like waking up in a wild place, completely self sufficient, even if the ‘wild place’ is only an hours ride from your door. It gives you a great sense of achievement too, just for sleeping outside! I find myself riding home with a smug grin on my face…probably cuz i’m dying for a poo!!!

twang
    Free Member

Hey that ryhmes

daveob
    Free Member

Planning a bivi trip next Friday night – should be fun!

twang
    Free Member

daveob..
    You’re a braver man than I, hope you get lucky with the weather, snows on the way this week int it?

freeform5spot
    Free Member

ready and waiting!

Rich
    Free Member

Have you got any tips on bivvying for someone who has never done it?

I have a tarp, decent sleeping bag, and inflatable mattress, so would I only need a bivvy bag?

How do you keep slugs and spiders off your face, or dont you?

Thanks.

twang
    Free Member

It depends on where you’re intending to kip as to what might want to get in bed with you, the only real problems i’ve had are wood ants, when i woke in the night to find my bag covered in the ‘not so little’ buggers! The next time i took a hammock…that tricked em!!

twang
    Free Member

A few tips for the bivvy virgin:
    Find a suitable spot, your local woods is a good place to pop your cherry. Because its familiar you’ll kwow who uses them and where the quiet spots are.
    Go for a recce before you intend to ‘night’ it. Dump your bike in the bushes and get off the beaten tracks.
    Look for an open area well away from all tracks and paths. If you’re kipping on the floor it has to be level too.
    When you’ve found the spot, check the ground for ants and , if its dry, have a lie down for 10 minutes see how it ‘feels’. If you’re freaked out by what might be crawling on you, then you aint gonna make it through a whole night!
    DO NOT LIGHT A FIRE!! Chances are you’re not allowed to camp in your local woods so discretion is crucial if you want to "carry on camping". Fires are dangerous and rubbish for cooking on..take a stove!
    Most importantly, for the above reasons and many more, TAKE ALL RUBBISH HOME! Leave no trace! Or your idyllic bivvy spot will eventually look like your local jump spot!!! Enjoy…

soma_rich
    Free Member

Take a nice woolly hat!

twang
    Free Member

… and a can of special brew…

MrNutt
    Free Member

and "protection"

twang
    Free Member

..condoms??.. Ah for the squirrels, yeh they do put it about a bit!..and sellotape

MrNutt
    Free Member

I was thinking more along the lines of an AA-12 Auto Shotgun and a baseball bat, you can never be to prepared for that imminent Zombie attack now can you?

andym
    Free Member

You guys may be interested in an article you can download from this thread, on ‘leaving no trace’. (thanks for the suggestion twang).

bomberman
    Free Member

how do stop your bike being nicked?????

twang
    Free Member

bomberman
    By who???

Ewan
    Free Member

Most bike theives aren’t creeping around in the middle of know where between 10pm (when you go to sleep) and 6am when you wake up. If you’re that worried stick it under a bush, or take the wheels out (they’ll wake you up putting them back in). That said, why take the risk? I always lay a set of claymore mines out around my sleeping location, and hire a Marine sniper team ‘just in case’.

singlespeedstu

By who???

By the Zombies of course.

40mpg

We’ve been discussing this too, seems flavour of the summer. Any recommendations on bivvy bags and where to buy? What features should one look for in a bivvy bag?

geoffj

Some lovely stuff Backpacking Light.

I’m waiting for the fatbarseward version of the Alpkit Hunka and I might try one of these tarps. Bring it on!

twang
    Free Member

..40mpg
    Alpkit Hunka, does everything its supposed to for £30. A bit narrow if you’re a big fella tho.
    Or if your doing woods, get a tarp(basha) and hammock…a far better bug detterent!

geoffj

I’ve got the normal sized Hunka and its OK – I’d just prefer a bit more space. I reckon the XL version will be spot on and for the price, you canny complain.

I was tempted by the Topeak Bikekamper, but the STW Bivy vid put paid to that.

The video is on facebook – I was going to link, but facebook is down 🙁

Rich
    Free Member

Has anyone tried this and can rate it?

Seems really good value from a good name.

You get 2 sleeping bags to use inside each other if need be, a bivvy bag and pillow all for £75.

Khyam VSS System

daveob
    Free Member

Preparation is the key. Pack your kit so it comes out easily and clear the ground well (if sleeping on it) as the smallest lump can keep you awake all night!

I carry a small Dakane wire lock for the bike and lock it to the tree I’m next to and at this time of year I use a basha aswell!

geminafantasy
    Free Member

"scared of starting a fire i can’t put out"

I have this fear aswell! Somehow a little circle of stones just doesn’t seem like it will contain the raging fire it will inevitably become when I become bored and get lighter fluid happy.

twang
    Free Member

Rich – I’d steer clear of that one, just two cheap(heavy) bags and what must be an uber thin bivvy bag.

GEDA
    Free Member

My bivy trip last summer with my daughter. (Where’s the preview button???)

[img]http://photos-f.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v316/221/0/651108989/n651108989_743717_1476.jpg[/img]

daveob
    Free Member

Classic GEDA!

matt_outandabout

Tarps is where it is at – mine is huuuuge (used for open canoeing) but my mate has a smaller one. They are so adaptable for all sorts of weather, conditions and sites, and well worth the weight. Decathlon do them for £19.99.

Combined with a bivvibag, apart from proper ‘high ground’ camps, they rock!

twang
    Free Member

GEDA:
    Dont know how you persuaded your girl to go for that, nice one. I’ll show these pics to my 8 year old, could inspire her to join me. Nice looking spot, where is it?

Rich
    Free Member

That’s amazing GEDA, bet you had loads of spooky fun!

I’d love to take my 8 year old girl, but she would be scared stiff!

GEDA
    Free Member

Sweden, Skåne right in the south. There are loads of little camping shelters with and big fire places and a huge pile of wood to burn (all free). This year I am going on a bigger trip for a few days. (Nelly was only 5 we she went but I was more frightened than she was)

Skånelden Vindskydd

twang
    Free Member

WWWOOOOOOOWWW!!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Bring on the bivvying!’ is closed to new replies.