Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Brecon Beast
  • Ambrose

Anyone here doing the Brecon Beast? I'm signed up for the 71km ride.

robinbetts
    Free Member

I'm signed up for the 109k'er, can't wait! Haven't done it before, don't know what to expect. Although I have done the Gap before, which the website says is the hardest bit, and I know that's all very doable. Only thing is I've only done 50k off road in a day before and this is twice that :-S I like a challenge!

jimster
    Free Member

I've done the Beast on a couple of occasions – don't let the Gap fool you – the may send you over in reverse, 😯 the climb is not doable!!

robinbetts
    Free Member

Reverse?!?! Jees, OK, that would change things slightly!!

Gambo
    Free Member

Too much road last year 🙄 . Giving it a miss this year. Gap in reverse not really ridable for last 300 yards. For a fast time, I recon a cyclocross bike is the best thing for it. It is well organised and friendly event though.

DWH
    Free Member

The Beast usually does The Gap in reverse, i.e. up the steep, rocky side and down the longer more gentle side. I think the last time the route went the "normal" way was in 2006.

I'm doing it this year anyway.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Well, I've ridden the Gap the normal way round and really enjoyed the decent, especially the steps at the top, but I always like trying something new, so bring it on which ever why they like.

When I looked at the times for last year they seemed to range from under 4 hours! to about 8 (for the 100k). Is a regular rider, decent fitness but no ironman, going to come in the middle here, or is everyone pretty damn fit?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

first time for me

Ambrose

Bump. Anyone doing it this year?

dreednya

Thinking about it Ambrose, but I'm riding the 100km Afan Monster two weeks after so I'll see. Keep dislocating my shoulder as well, which is not helpful for hooning down the descents 🙁

spokebloke
    Free Member

I'm in. Three of us going up, trying to avoid Saturday Cider Night.

Bosh
    Free Member

Aye doing the 71k as for time, due to current levels of fitness my goal is to finish it!

Hope to see you all there.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I'm coming back bringing a bike that'll last this time too 😉

valleydaddy
    Free Member

weather looks ok too but going to be soggy going after all the rain today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2123?&search=brecon&itemsPerPage=10&region=uk

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I'm in for 109km weather looks really good. Wrong way around the gap would be pants. But whatever – bring it on.

Ambrose

After last Wednesday night ride I'm a worried man. What has happened to my legs- they seem to have left me 🙁

dreednya

I signed up for the 71 km last Sunday so am glad to see the weather looking good for tomorrow :). Going to test how my shoulder feels (as well as my legs!)

For a fast time, I recon a cyclocross bike is the best thing for it

I reckon I'll do it on my fully rigid 29er then if it's not as unsuitable as I first thought.

I can't remember which distance I signed up for.
    Is the split near the end of the 71km route ?
    Can you choose when you get to the split ?

walla24
    Free Member

im in…not liking all this talk of fully rigids and cyclocross, is it really not that hardcore? (dreams of the dyfi enduro)

Rorschach
    Free Member

There were plenty of rigids (and a cx) at the pointy end of the dyfi!

walla24
    Free Member

That is true! 😀
    I take it back, I'm sure it will be a challenge, and I love bein overtaken by such a variety of bikes 🙂

krag
    Free Member

I've done it for the last 3 years but can't be arsed this year. Short route isn't going over the gap either apparently. Hopefully they've got rid of a lot of the road by changing the route though, we stopped in at a pub in Talybont last year for a cheeky pre-finish pint 🙂

Bosh
    Free Member

Weather looking ok but I recon the front crud will be essential as will be a bit boggy in places.

Anyone know if the route is available? The organisers sent out am email 2 weeks ago saying the map will be up on the website 'shortly' but it's still there.

My route from yesterday.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48814572
    103km in 6:52.
    I got to the first feed station and the guy running it said "The leaders went through about an hour ago" 😯

Janesy
    Free Member

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – You were just behind me, 2 minutes. it’s a shame that I had Sporty pal on my phone, but battery ran out at 4 hours 22 minutes. On the short steep climb to the gap.

I’m going to input your GPX file to my sporty pal. Thanks dude.

On the short steep climb to the gap

Are you sure you took the right route ?
    I felt like I was pushing for half an hour up there. 🙂

Janesy
    Free Member

lol yeah, compared to the decent down to the reservoir.
    Coming the other way would be more difficult imo.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Brecon Beast’ is closed to new replies.