Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Brechfa. Bit Boring Or What?
  • singlespeedstu

Rode the raven trail on Friday and was a bit disappointed TBH.

Found it a bit same old same old, but without the attraction of any rocky sections.

Even on a rigid bike it felt unchallinging.

Thoughts please.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i hated it too, boring boring boring

GaryLake
    Free Member

Go faster?

carlphillips
    Free Member

i did its still boring, i went for my birthday with a few mates, they all thought it sucked too.

singlespeedstu

One hour fifteen minutes for a first go round on a rigid singlespeed.

That includes pushing back up where I missed a black option so I could ride it.

Still found it a bit lacking in any form of challenge.

flatback
    Free Member

i love the place

knottie8
    Free Member

I loved Brechfa , best ridden a warp speed,drifting around corners and chasing down the rider infront .http://paul-knott.fotopic.net/c1725141.html

singlespeedstu

Maybe I'd have liked it more with a mid ride stop for sausages and colemans. 😀

Rex
    Free Member

i think it is more of a fun trail than a technical challenge (though i still managed to fall off 3 times)…and it gets funnerer the faster you go.

Ambrose

I like the place. Maybe it is same old same old because so many people want the trail centre formula and it is more or less only the FC who is providing it. Most trail centres are in forrestry, built/ designed by a limited number of people. There are many places in Brechfa Forest where the 'natural' rides are totally different. In places 'better', in other places 'worse'. Depending upon your definitions of course. But in no way boring.

I would suggest that many trail centres are only subtly diferent, thus may be classed as boring once a rider is familiar with the type of riding that is offered/ provided. As suggested above, speed changes things, as do different loop combinations.

The Ordnance Survey publish trail maps for your area, and mine, and that bloke's over there… Follow the pecked lines. There is loads of interest to do if you look around.

robhughes
    Free Member

knottie8
    how did the sausages taste when eaten with a tyre lever.
    bet they tasted even better.

grumm
    Free Member

Isn't the challenge at Brechfa in the form of hitting the jumps/berms sweetly at full speed? Not been but saw some videos and it looks great imo.

If you were after a technical challenge why go to a trail centre?

niloC
    Free Member

Even on a rigid bike it felt unchallinging.

Well considering the number of people I've seen struggling on it, there's an awful lot of people who do find it too challenging!

nickegg
    Free Member

When did clearing massive tabletops and doubles etc stop becoming a challenge?

You must be incredibly able on a bike….fair enough.

singlespeedstu

Ambrose.

Some very good points there.

I did notice some very nice looking trails heading off into the forest…..

Ive riden a lot of stuff round that area in British Championship Enduros so I know whats out there.

But what I'm saying is that they don't seem to have made as good a trail as they could have.

And yes I understand that forest trail that are built for everyone to ride are sometimes a bit conservative. I just found this one partucularly so.

grumm
    Free Member

You seem to have missed the point though – it's not a challenge just to get round it. Did you clear all the tabletops/doubles?

singlespeedstu

grumm.

Not missed the point at all.

I don't need to go all that way to ride round a BMX track. ( and nore does anyone else)

Oh and BTW I only rode it because I had to visit a customer that was very close to it.

Ambrose

The geology isn't kind to bikes there, nasty slippy loose shale in a number of places. it takes a LONG time to settle down in comparison to some centres. Plus the fact that the Raven is 'surfaced'! differently in places anyway. Given the constraints of the topography and finances I'd say a fair go has been made of it.

Now if you want to ride a real mess- try Cwmrhiadr in Cilycwm. I find that it is improving but some of the bermed corners are a positive nightmare for me, whatever speed I ride. I'm no trail god though, but it does make a good finish to the Mynnydd Mallaen loop.

rkk01
    Free Member

No.

Brechfa is an absolute hoot.

singlespeedstu

Given the constraints of the topography and finances I'd say a fair go has been made of it.

Another good point.

Maybe they should put a ticket machine on the carpark and put the money back into the trail. Don't get me wrong it was a pleasant ride round when I should have been working and it didn't cost me anything to park or ride the trail so I'm greatfull for that. I just feel they could have done a bit more than try and make a BMX track on the downhill bits.

nickegg
    Free Member

With the limited elevation aren't big sweeping berms and jumps the best way of getting the most from the available height?

martinh
    Free Member

Be honest. You were just scouting out the place so you're ready to race in next year's SSUK.

Andy

I'm with Knottie and Rex on this about liking brechfa. Oh, actually, I was with them that weekend. I think its a really great trail.

The apparant ease with which it can be ridden is where its a winner because both less confident riders can do it at their own pace and more confident can go for it and at speed its rather fun, and also starts to take on a whole new challenge. For me its a very subtly thought out trail for that reason.

It isn't that rocky, but then the way it rides it does not need to be IMO. Still I'd love to discover the local trails round there as its a real pretty area.

The other thing I like about it is I rode it in April on the Saturday and we met 3 other riders. Sunday we went to Afan, and there were at least 120 riders on Whites climb alone, so I should be saying its rubbish really.

Oh and apart from the sausages it created the legend that is Kingston Nott!

singlespeedstu

With the limited elevation aren't big sweeping berms and jumps the best way of getting the most from the available height?

If you have a look at whats around there like bedrock outcrops and natural gulleys no I don't think they have made the best of what's on offer. Take a look at some of the Scottish trails and see what they've done with the natural enviroment.

Andy

I think thats the point about brechfa. It doesn't need to be rocky. Wales has loads of trail centres that do rocky and gnar etc etc!

singlespeedstu

Martin.

LOL I don't do the "R" word.

That's Amandas territory.

Anyway the big SS event next year will be SSEC in the FoD.

Or So the organiseres tell me ……… 😉

Oh Andy you were doing so well until you mentioned trail centeres and GNAR in the same post. 😯

sheldona
    Free Member

EIASF you are my hero, I so wish I was as good as you, BUT without the wok!

Martinh, I think you're right he did only go there so he can practise for ssuk 2010 as he won't get an entry for ssec 2010 🙂

singlespeedstu

Hey Don.

we all need to look up to someone. 😯

Andy

Oh god its all gone niche-fest now…..im off 🙄

Thanks Mr Spaghetti! I though trail centres were where GNAR words were invented….? 😀

postierich
    Free Member

Anyway the big SS event next year will be SSEC in the FoD.

Whats this another event to fleece the unsuspecting ss'er

Many jonny foreignors coming?

singlespeedstu

Thanks Mr Spaghetti! I though trail centres were where GNAR words were invented….?

Think you're right.

When it comes to a fight for the last table in the cafe. 😉

Oh Rich beareded postmen are banned…..

sheldona
    Free Member

The only people being fleeced are bearded wanabees on blue French bikes

Never ridden Brechfa, however we're all going for a hoon around Llandegla tomorrow.

I can happily throw my bike down rocky Peak District descents at a decent pace week in, week out, but the Llandegla 'bmx track' gives something different – jumps, berms, swoopy trails. I can only dream of being at a level where I didn't find it at all challenging – there's plenty to get you in trouble and I've seen some good crashes.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Couldn't agree with you more Spag. I got lynched a while back for calling Brechfa dull. And I thought Afan was manicured.

T/Top berm T/Top T/top T/Top berm T/Top T/Top yawn.

singlespeedstu

bearded wanabees on blue French bikes

You forgot the who don't buy a round bit. 😛 😉

madal
    Free Member

Maybe you should consider this folks, you are talking about the "man made" bits of Welsh Forestry here, made basically for entertainment and media attention.

The original "Brechfa" is still there if you know where to look.

Al 😉

catnash
    Free Member

Yes Love Brechfa, and the man made bits are great at seeing how fast you can go before losing it against a tree!!!

You should see some of the trails we use. I have always stated that the best bits of Brechfa are the natural gully step down tracks. I ride Brechfa 3-4 times a week and never been bored yet. Never done the red route as it's designed and never the Black either.

grumm
    Free Member

I don't see how anyone would find this boring – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pDu6ivDqRs&feature=related

Unless you were riding it slowly and not really jumping the tabletops of course.

singlespeedstu

mad al, catnash.

If you read my post i'm agreeing with you.

There was some great terrain in the Isca enduro.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Admittedly I don't jump kickers (never worked out how) but reading this post I feel humbled because The Raven scared the hell out of me. How can you not hit that wall ride without your stomach falling out of your bottom? Are you telling me you surfed down the comedy mud section without crashing? Did you do all the skinnies and jump all the hits? I've never ridden anything like it anywhere else. The Beast at Coedy seemed a doddle in comparison.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Brechfa. Bit Boring Or What?’ is closed to new replies.