Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Breathtaking Hypocricy?
  • uponthedowns
    Free Member

So Dwaine Chambers win his case and looks like being selected for the British Olympic Team despite this statement by UK Athletics

Following the announcement, UK Athletics said: “UK Athletics has always supported the BOA byelaw but welcomes the clarity the CAS decision brings to this issue.

Athletes affected by the ruling are now eligible for the team, in both individual and relay events, and will be subject to the same selection criteria and process as every other British athlete.”

If they support the BOC stance on this why just not select the previously banned athletes?

Is this a case of not letting principle get in the way of Olympic Gold?

Personally I’m happy there’s now a level playing field and it was nice to see that pipsqueak Lord Moynihan getting his nose put out of joint about it but the whole thing now smells of hypocricy

matt_bl
    Free Member

I think you might have missed the point.

UKA supported the BOA byelaw, as did a significant number (majority?) of athletes.

Now they have been told they can only play in the olympics if they allow reformed drug users to compete, they are saying they welcome the clarity this ruling provides (faint praise I would suggest).

I don’t see any hipocrisy.

Matt

andydicko
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, as I fully agree with the decision, and hopefully Team GB can have a good Olympics.

BUT, when these people took the banned substances to enhance their performance, they fully knew the consequences should they get caught!

matt_bl
    Free Member

Knowing what the punishment is and accepting it appear to be two different things.

It’s probably a huge sponsorship deal for Dwain if he gets selected for London.

Matt

jam-bo

meh. a 2yr ban is a 2 yr ban.

if you don’t want them to compete again give them a lifetime ban. simple.

matt_bl
    Free Member

You can’t do that as it exceeds the WADA code, which is the basic premise for this appeal to CAS.

Matt

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

meh. a 2yr ban is a 2 yr ban.

if you don’t want them to compete again give them a lifetime ban. simple.

Amen.

jam-bo

You can’t do that as it exceeds the WADA code, which is the basic premise for this appeal to CAS

so a 10yr ban. for most athletes that would effectively be the same thing.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Personally I’m happy there’s now a level playing field and it was nice to see that pipsqueak Lord Moynihan getting his nose put out of joint about it but the whole thing now smells of hypocricy

I imagine that they are obliged to pick people who have the potential to give the best performance. Assuming that this is true of Dwayne, then doing anything else would be a bit silly.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Might also leave them open to another lawsuit by Chambers if he fits the selection criteria but then isn’t selected

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Breathtaking Hypocricy?’ is closed to new replies.