Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Breadmakers
  • eddie11
    Free Member

i know this was done to death on the old forum but thats all been lost(?). So breadmakers, i know a good few people on here have them. Any recommendations?

We’ve had one recommendation so far from a friend who suggested a £70 Panasonic SD254 on the basis that its the only brand they’ve had of 4 that hasn’t blown up yet.

any others?

cheers

fubar
    Free Member

I tasted some made with a Panasonic (the one just under a £100) – really good bread.
    Check them out on Amazon – loads of very favourable customer reviews.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Panasonic SD-255 here.

It’s the same as the SD-254 except it’s got a timer so you can have fresh bread in the morning.

We’ve had ours for about 18 months and since then we haven’t bought bread from a shop.

Really tasty bread. Normal size slices but the loaves are a bit short if you have a large family.

cranberry
    Free Member

Panasonic.

Used mine once a week since 2006, and it’s still going strong.

ventanarider
    Free Member

how does this make your own bread thing work. Do you buy ready mixed packets of different types of bread and just add water or do you buy all the ingrediants seperately?

nickc

I buy the ingredients separately. It’s only

Sugar
    Yeast
    Salt
    Water
    Milk
    Fat (butter)
    Strong Flour

Takes about 5 mins, pop it all in the mixer, ready in 4 hours

zaskar
    Free Member

How much bread are you all eating per week btw?

matthewjb
    Free Member

I buy the separate ingredients as well. It takes 5 minutes to load the machine.

I find the ready mixed packets taste funny and are expensive.

We make a loaf a day (Family of five)

nickc

Loaf a day (only little ones mind). sandwiches for kids, Toast. So cheap you can make one a day anyway.

Nick

Buy this book

Don’t let me try to pursuade you out of spending 70 quid, but for a tiny amount of effort you, yes you, can make truly amazing bread that is an order of magnitude superiour to anything made in a bread machine.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved my machine when I got it, used it loads, when the pan paddle thing broke I decided to have a go myself and guess what, I’ve not bother replacing the pan/paddle and the machine has gone to the skip.

mildred

I had a bread machine but it made me eat bread until I was a right fat bastard.

I blame that machine for everything that went wrong in my life because I’m now fat.

eddie11
    Free Member

ha ha, i sometimes wonder if a only cycle to manage my eating habit.

i have made bread in the past by hand but it tends to be a winter-sunday-nothing-better-to-do activity rather something i want to do every other day when spar is calling.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nick, you lose points. That is clearly NOT Doom Bar in that there glass. Poor attention to detail.
    😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’ve got an SD255, gives pretty good results IMO and waking up to the smell of baking bread is great! Use mine to make dough for rolls quite often as well.

Nick

Flash, obviously, it’s homebrew Oatmeal Stout 🙂

i have made bread in the past by hand but it tends to be a winter-sunday-nothing-better-to-do activity rather something i want to do every other day when spar is calling.

Yeah I do know what you mean, I’ve got it down to a quite fine art now and reckon I can make the bread you see in the pic in about 15 mins, plus rising/proving time, when I’m watching telly, surfing this place etc.

Still, I’d highly recommend the book. And for 100% better results use the machine to make the dough then bake in the oven (with a pan underneath holding some water to create steam).

z1ppy

as above go for the panasonic & enjoy.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Breadmakers’ is closed to new replies.