Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • Braking with one finger – who really does it?
  • br
    Free Member

I use two, but not because of the brakes, more me.

I've ridden motorbikes for ever, and use two on these too.

If you are comfortable, don't worry.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I use two – spent years downhilling on knackered V Brakes and got used to it that way. Recenlty tried setting levers more in-board to try and encourange one finger braking but it doesn't feel comfortable.

The first time I even considered how many fingers I grabbed the levers with was when I was told off during my motorbike lessons for using two finger clutching/braking.

All four fingers? What are you supposed to hold onto the bar with?! You end up controlling the bike with the heels of your hands – it's wrong.

freeridenick
    Free Member

so much more control 1 finger braking…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cookeaa

I use single finger, it didn’t take much effort or thought to re-train myself really, 2 finger braking seems to result in jabby, skiddy braking and forearm cramp (so called “arm pump”) single finger braking is smoother and more controlled, and you learn to spot braking points better…

I’m an index finger user, I’ve noticed a few people use their middle finger (including Steve Jones), can’t really see the difference but could be worth a go..

As for lever positioning, I angle them such that my finger is in line with my forearm when in my “normal” riding position, this varies slightly from bike to bike of course as I have a different position for DH and XC riding but the principle is simple, you don’t want to over extend the various tendons in your arm/hands and you don’t want to twist your wrist and potentially break/sprain it…

I see way too many bikes with the levers near vertical, looks stupid and is probably quite dangerous…

jedi

think about your position on the bike and how your levers can affect it.

peachos
    Free Member

further up is better than too far down

why is that then? surely your fingers when untensed naturally point downwards which means that a lever that is set more horizontal to the bar is an unnatural position and therefore less comfortable? as i said, lever angle is probably more down to personal preference, but look at all the pro dh's bars and i pretty much guarantee that they are pointing more down than up.

Yes that's true. I reviewed my lever angle a while back based on my body position when descending. Raising the angle of the levers a bit has helped drop my chest and elbows comfortably to get lower over the bike.

i don't see how lever angle has such an impact on body position. may help you get a couple of cm lower if you really tried, but how low do you want/need to go?

glenp
    Free Member

I've actually gone back to two fingers, most of the time, gripping the bars ever more lightly. I used to use the middle finger because it left a wider grip with the other fingers. Control of the bike is much more about feet than hands – if your interface with the bike is good you don't need to hold the bars tight at all.

Also important, as mentioned by others, is to not have the levers pointing too far down – that tends to encourage you to roll forward over the front of the bike and cease riding primarily with your feet. So – levers at a natural angle so that relaxed forearms and dropped elbows leaves the brake finger(s) just resting there is what I suggest.

I also like to move my hands as far out as possible for faster bits – wider bars without fitting wider bars.

lowey

Yep. Middle finger.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

just index fingers.

Control of the bike is much more about feet than hands

say WHAT ?? Isn't it actually about your weight and how you move it around? Your feet are completely constrained by the pedals, and apart from judicious application of power their only other importance is to keep the pedals clear of hitting things.

grumm
    Free Member

Isn't it actually about your weight and how you move it around?

Yes and the vast majority of your weight is on the pedals.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

How would you pull a wheelie simonfbarnes?

glenp
    Free Member

Don't know what is so challenging about that, sfb. Clearly your weight needs to be in the right place in order to effect control of the bike via your feet – but the fact remains that the feet should be driving the bike (not talking about pedalling) and the hands should be relaxed.

If you think feet are only for pedalling and keeping the pedals away from the deck/objects I'm pretty sure you'll be taking occasional trips over the handlebars. Unless you're riding more with your feet than you realise.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

90% by shifting his weight back, 10% pulling on the bars.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Yes and the vast majority of your weight is on the pedals.

so what ? It's where it is relative to the bike that matters

comes under: "judicious application of power" 🙂

Nezbo
    Free Member

I always break with 1 (well on on the frount brake and one on the back brake 🙂 )

i use:
    Hope mono minis (or mini mono or what ever they are called) f183&r163,
    Hope mono mini M4's f203&r183, and
    Avid Jucie Ultimate F160&r140.

Plenty of stopping power.

thomthumb
    Free Member

bike sin no. 1: brake levers horizontal and butted up to the grips! ugh!

you know who you are!!

Kit
    Free Member

I have specced a set of hope 4 pots on my new bike. Any idea if they are more suited to one finger braking?

In my experience, no! I had to use two fingers when I owned Mono M4's (my first set of hydraulic brakes) and it was a revelation buying Shimano Saint and Avid Juicy 7's as I can quite happily use one finger with them.

mudshark
    Free Member

I use one finger but my wife prefers two.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I use my middle finger only, and have done since v-brakes first came out! (although they required 2 fingers, or even 3 in the wet!). Don't use index finger 'cos that gives you a 'narrow' grip compared to using the middle finger if you see what i mean? (not sure even I do) 😆

MtbCol
    Free Member

Single finger braking for me too – Index finger mostly, but I do use middle finger on my big travel bike for some reason.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Index finger only (XT on bike 1 and Hayes Stroker on bike 2).

…oh and mounted as far inboard as I can get away with.

Keva
    Free Member

usually one but sometimes add the middle too if I need a bit more stopping power – ie.. if I'm doing last second braking and need to pull up extremely quickly, which I like 😆

Kev

Lifer
    Free Member

😆 @ mudshark

I found the matchmaker combo really helped getting the levers in the right place for 1 finger braking for me, before it was a compromise

brakes
    Free Member

I use my thumb and my left earlobe for optimum power and control

if I need to stop really quickly I tend to use my shoulder and a tree

binners

I do. Mind you, I have fairly large fingers

chvck
    Free Member

I use Hope M4s and use 2 fingers on the rear and 1 finger on the front…don't know why, it's just how I ride and I'm happy with it…doesn't feel like i have more control with one than the other either.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I run my mini's like this for them to feel comfy with one finger braking. Made the difference for me.

DezB
    Free Member

Sometimes 1, mostly 2. Can't say it makes a lot of difference. I only really know cos I've seen photos. Oh and one bike has a Dual-Control (front brake) so one finger isn't possible as can't move the lever far enough in – and as someone said earlier the lever hits my knuckle before any power is applied.

iBike
    Free Member

One and mainly index, but lever far enough in to allow switch to middle every so often – like when I have just been tensing up 'coz I'm a wus goin down slippy stuff…

kamina
    Free Member

Never use more then one finger for braking.

filtertips

I use my index fingers and it's never been a problem, suppose whatever works for you and your setup but Steve Peat, Sam Hill & Brian Lopes all seem to use index finger braking.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I use 2 I think. I tried to train myself to use my middle finger, but that really didn't suit. Might have a go with the index.

Coleman
    Free Member

I use one finger, my index finger. Not to brake with, but as a sign to everybody who thinks one finger braking is cool.
    Just use what feels right. 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

so much more control 1 finger braking…

I use 2 because I prefer it, my brakes work just fine. I don't see how it affects control.

DezB
    Free Member

Steve Peat, Sam Hill & Brian Lopes all seem to use index finger braking

I'm not a professional downhill or 4Xer. Are you then?

Pieface

I do – adjusting the brake levers and set up helps

johnners
    Free Member

Steve Peat, Sam Hill & Brian Lopes all seem to use index finger braking

I'm not a professional downhill or 4Xer. Are you then?

Perhaps you ride the type of stuff they ride at the pace they ride it at. I don't.

jimster
    Free Member

Sheesh 🙄 , can think of bigger things too worry about other than which finger……like can I stop!! 😯

BOT – middle finger depending on speed/surface/circumstances etc etc

tinsy
    Free Member

HA HA, I said it depends what and where, just noticed this pic I am using 1 for the front 2 for the rear.. Skill or what.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"i don't see how lever angle has such an impact on body position"

So Imagine I point the levers down a bit too much. I'm in a friendly upright position i.e. pedalling or pootling along. So to reach them I'm arching my wrists down which feels nasty on wrists and tendons in hands. So I angle them up a bit, allowing my wrists to be straight.

Now imagine the attack position – I drop my chest/shoulders low, stick my elbows out, stand on pedals and maybe shuffle back a bit when needed – more like how I'm positioned when downhilling and will need my brakes. Again, I'm arching my wrists a bit to reach the levers. So I angle the levers up a bit more making my wrists straight again.

Returning to the upright position, the levers look oddly raised BUT I'm not really using my brakes when I'm in that position so it dunt matter.

I played around with lever angles and this approach is comfortable for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Braking with one finger – who really does it?’ is closed to new replies.