Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Brakes: SLX or XT?
  • teacake
    Free Member

Buying a new rear disc brake. My wife has SLX and they are brilliant and £30 cheaper than XT.

Experiences please.

Can anyone justify the XTs to me? Can they be worth £30 more?!

glenh
    Free Member

They are almost exactly the same.
    The XT has a bite point adjuster (that only has a small range of adjustment). That’s the only real difference.

teacake
    Free Member

Thank Glen.

Sounds like Shimano are asking £30 for black paint and an XT logo!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Slx are better ime than xt

Dickyboy

Aren’t the XT calipers one piece forged rather than SLX two peice bolt together items – lighter & more powerful apparently & certainly a reason for the extra expense, although cost benefit is another matter….

alfabus
    Free Member

XT get a screw in disc pad retainer pin, SLX get a split pin retained one. The split pin can be a bit of a faff in the mud.

Dave

lowey

ON a side note, I;ve been a long time Hope user and recently got a new bike with SLX both wheels with 180mm rotor and am frankly stunned at their performance and feel. Superb brakes. Really superb.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

I have SLX, XT and XTR, the SLX are just as good as the others barring the split pin issue.

teacake
    Free Member

Lowey,

Funny you mention Hope as it is an X2 I have on the rear currently. Despite length fettling and help from many, I haven’t been pleased with the stopping power or feel. The SLX on my wife’s bike are impressive and feel great.

Agree about the split pin in the mud bit, but we carry a small pair of pliers.

Cheers all – purchase now made!

alpin
    Free Member

slx.

benefits of xt are pretty minor, if at all present.

as said above the bite point adjuster has little effect on the bite point.

the retaining screw on the xt gets lots easily enough and you’ll end up using a split pin, anyway.

my SLX feel much better than my friends XT – which have no real bite, might need rebleeding but we’ve bled them several times already. (not my bleeding that is a prob as my SLX are very grrr.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Brakes: SLX or XT?’ is closed to new replies.