Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Brake pads too thick or is it just me!
  • tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Zee brakes
    Pads Ubercomponents sintered

Amongst a host of other things decided to change the brake pads, first decided to use the RWD pads I got at the Ard Rock put the pistons all the way in flush with he callipers and the pads were basically touching each other and there was no way the rotor was going through that.

Put some Uber pads on and struggled to get the wheel back on as well .. basically the pads are touching the rotor. Same situation with the rear wheel was pretty bloody stubborn and had to open another set.

So do I just suffer the pain of them rubbing on the rotor till they wear down or is this going to have an adverse effect on the rotors or do I pull them out and sand them down?

For the record have been using Uber pads in the past without this issue.

Any thoughts much appreciated apart from buying genuine zee pads at a slightly eye watering price.

andyl
    Free Member

id the pistons are full retracted then there is something wrong. Email Uberbike and ask.

matt_outandabout

Did you push pistons all the way back in?

breninbeener

Ive had uberbike race matrix that seemed to have a thicker backing plate than the oem pads on my Code brakes.

I let a little fluid out at the bar end. I wouldnt run with pads constantly on the disc…it will get v hot

stumpy01

I used to get this with my old Avid Elixirs.

I had pads from Fibrax, Uberbike & Superstar.

Even with the pads fully wound back (bleed screw removed to let a little fluid out & ensure the system wasn’t over-filled) you still couldn’t get a new set of pads in with the rotor…..

I used to sand the pads a bit before fitting, but not sure it was at any detriment to pad longevity – I figured they’d have a harder life when fitted to the bike so it would be OK.

Are you absolutely sure your pads are retracting all the way? It could be the system is slightly over-filled & pushing the pistons back with the bleed screw open might give you a bit more room.
    Obviously, only do this if you are happy with re-bleeding the brakes if need be etc…..

steve_b77
    Free Member

He says the pistons are flush with the calipers, so I’d say so.

Had this with some superstars on elixirs, just took a file to the backing plate to remove the paint.

If you run them like that they’ll heat up and jam on

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Thanks chaps

yep sure the pistons are all the way in, couldn’t see that the pistons were pushing back.

bugger.. but looks will have to take them out and reexamine the pads and pistons

hols2
    Free Member

I often mix a half-worn pad with a new one on each end of the bike until they wear down a bit. After a month or so, I switch both new pads to the front and the worn ones to the rear.

rocketman
    Free Member

FWIW with the genuine Zee pads there’s no need to push the pistons all the way back they’re about 1 mm proud of the caliper and the pads go in easliy

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

hols2 thanks but does that result in uneven brake pad wear?

thinking i might just take the fins out for the time being till I get enough toleraance/gap and then put the fins back

fifeandy
    Free Member

lol, had same issue with my elixirs yesterday.
    Needed new pads front and rear, front pistons fully retracted, can fit rotor in, but it wont spin.
    Rear pistons sticky and not retracting fully, so cant even fit rotor in there.
    Taking it to the shop today and they can sort it – happy to change pads when they just work, but life is too short to be messing around with pistons.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

😳 😳

Called Uber and tracing past orders it seems the pads I am using are standard pads and not the replacement fin pads which have a thinner back plate that explains everything…!!!!!!

Feel like a right tit now. thanks chaps for your help.

hols2
    Free Member

does that result in uneven brake pad wear

Not enough to notice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Brake pads too thick or is it just me!’ is closed to new replies.