Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Braces instead of a belt?
  • lunge

I wear a suit for work, I like to look smart and fancied trying something a little different.

So, ignoring the ribbing I will get from my colleagues, can the modern day gent get away with braces?! They will, obviously, be worn with a well cut suit and a nice shirt and tie.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

no

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Braces are for people with no waist on whom belts don’t work.

Or skinheads.

wwaswas

no

unless you have reached the point of having to decide of your waistline goes above or below your belly, in which case braces are a reasonable comrpromise between ‘muffin top of epic proportions’ and ‘waistband just under armpits’.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I’ve got some loverly bright orange ones with Husqvarna splattered down them 🙂

lunge

Hmm, not quite the responce I was looking for! For reference I am 6’4″ with a 36 inch waist and was going to go for plain black braces.

I think I need a rethink!

donsimon
    Free Member

The STW fashionistas (internerds) say no, based on that alone I’d go for it. 😉

infidel
    Free Member

if you do – don’t get the elasticated ones with metal clips (as per photo above), go for fabric ones with leather tabs that attach to buttons on your trousers. If you do it, do it right!!

….but I wouldn’t!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Proper suit trousers are designed to “hang” and braces make them fit better than a belt. Having said that braces still have to shake off their (1) old fashioned or (2) yuppie image which is a shame. I was wondering about a return to braces myself but haven’t quite got the courage!!

Go for it and re-start a trend!

Spin
    Free Member

Both man both!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Never both – ever!!

carlosg
    Free Member

Do it , I’ll even sell you a pair that will let everyone know your a mountain biker!

Briefly roadtested by Mrscarlos when she was pregnant and between sizes of maternity clothes.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ve always worn braces to work, coupled with trousers one size too big………makes getting up and down scaffolding and general movability a lot easier. Also the trouser one size too big (which only really work with braces) allows you to fill your pockets with easily accessible bits and pieces – I don’t like tool pouches and very rarely use them.

I wouldn’t wear braces with a suit however, unless you keep a jacket on all the time – makes you look a prat imo.

Belt and braces, preferably with a detached shirt collar, if you want to look like Alf Garnett.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Braces are strictly for lederhosen, oiks and pensioners.If the suit trousers are cut to be worn with braces,it will have buttons to attach them to, will be fifty years old and you got it from Oxfam.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

LOL I’ve just got images of Gordon Gekko with this thread.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Don’t listen to this lot, you will look great in braces.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve always worn braces to work, coupled with trousers one size too big

gives plenty of room for other clowns to shove a custard pie down 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Of course a chap can wear braces. But, and this is a major issue, they should never, ever be clip on ones. Button in only, OK? Also, they should never be “comedy”. or colourful. Leave comedy to comedians.

Some nice ones on here;
    http://www.roderickcharles.com/c/Accessories.htm

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Botton on – OK – clip on – only for wide boys. are you a wide boy?

theotherjonv

Go for it. But team them up with a belt too, that way if either mode of trouser suspension fails then you’ll have a back up. I’m sure there’s a phrase that encapsulates that idea……. yes, got it.

Better safe than sorry.

Does anyone have strong opinions on sock suspenders?

donsimon
    Free Member

Does anyone have strong opinions on sock suspenders?

Why yes I do, and thanks for asking. HTH.

headfirst
    Free Member

suspenders and belts in the same post have now taken my mind somewhere completely different….

*wanders off elsewhere on the internet*

infidel
    Free Member

CFH – nice site and those are what I was trying to describe!

…disappears to buy some shirts!!

jon1973
    Free Member

mefty
    Free Member

As already said braces only really work if you have suit trousers with buttons for them as the design of the waistband will be different and there will be no belt loops.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

infidel, RC shirts are very good value, IMO. Especially if you can pick up the last year stuff.

Very good suits, too. My most recent came with two pairs of trews, obviously, but one with belt loops and one with buttons for braces. The former have rather raffish turn ups. 8)

mattsccm
    Free Member

But not with trousers with belt loops. Nothing worse than empty belt loops.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lunge, earlier:

25 years earlier.

smiffy

I wore Stihl ones at my wedding

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

go for fabric ones with leather tabs that attach to buttons on your trousers. If you do it, do it right!!

Agreed – I used to have a nice dinner jacket suit (circa 60 years old from a charity shop – beautifully crafted it was too) with button braces. I loved it and always felt proper dressed up when wearing it.

Unfortunately I got fat.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Ernie, one should always keep a suit jacket on. Shirtsleeves just don’t cut it.

clubber
    Free Member

If you wear braces, I believe it’s the rule that you should also wear a bow tie…

Cougar

Proper suit trousers are designed to “hang” and braces make them fit better than a belt.

Belts are supposed to be decorative rather than structural anyway, non?

chakaping
    Free Member

I think you could probably get away with it if you work as a stockbroker, in the movies.

Or if you work in the creative industries, have no hair and your wacky specs are not cutting it any more.

Seriously though, if you can ignore the ribbing you’ll get from your workmates then go for it. They’ll probably be kinder than us lot anyway.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

You should wear a belt and braces. Hence the expression “As greedy as a pig”

bikebouy
    Free Member

You will of course look like Borat where your trousers will pull right tight around your manhood.

I bet you look good in Chinos too.. and sling a jumper over your shoulders..

YUK!

nicky
    Free Member

No. Its the type of things old guys wear because there bellies are so big. Its not a cool look. And most of the ska guys had them hanging down. Just think about all the people who wear them and how they look in them. I don’t think you would pull any chicks in them thats for sure, maybe they would think your slightly odd! Perhaps you are odd I mean! 😆

thomthumb
    Free Member

brown leather ones with tweed and a stalin-esque tash is a strong look.

are you a strong look type of guy?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Braces instead of a belt?’ is closed to new replies.