Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Box Hill area question
  • vinnyeh

Is the direct descent (pretty much following the fall line for the last part) from the old emergency landing strip on Mickelham Common /White Hill to Headley Rd/ the base of Box Hill rideable in wet weather? This is the last steep bit that runs straight out onto the road by the car park.
    I've never seen anyone riding down it when it's greasy, and the odd time I've had a go I've either bottled it, or crashed.

glenp
    Free Member

Wet chalk and super steep. In a very popular walking/picnicking spot. I think the question answers itself really!

joolsburger
    Free Member

If it's where I'm thinking I've done it in the dry and still crashed.

SMcDU

I'm proud to say I both did it and without a front brake. Largely because I'd never been that way before and didn't know what was coming…

heihei

There is (or certainly used to be) a bit of singletrack to the R (west) of said bridleway that's only marked on the 1:25,000 map that has less of a slope on it.

vinnyeh

In the dry's fine, SMcDU, did you really do it in the wet? 😯 HAve you repeated it?

vinnyeh

heihei, is that the cheeky bit that zigzags down, ends up a bit more to the right, but still in the carpark?

SMcDU

@vinnyeh

don't be ridiculous – it's lethal…

landcruiser
    Free Member

If you mean the track that comes out opposite a wall by a house….. Rideable, but can be difficult to stop before the road when it's wet ! So not recommended.It is very rutted at the moment due to water erosion. There are lot's of other descent options from there though.

heihei

Yep that's the one, although haven't ridden that way in over 5 years!

michaelbowden

Never tried it in the wet but it's quite fun in the dry.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Box Hill area question’ is closed to new replies.