Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bottom half of radiator not getting hot.
  • Harry_the_Spider

Top is hot.

Bottom is not hot.

Radiator was removed and cleaned so there are no blockages.

Any ideas?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Is it a normal rad, with one valve on either side, both at the bottom?

If it is, it’s still full of gunk.

bazhall
    Free Member

I had this in my daughters room, turned out there wasn’t enough pressure in the boiler so i would check that and also give the radiator a bleed to get rid of any trapped air.

Bear
    Free Member

It is because of poor circulation.

this can be caused by a number of things.
    Pump, diminishing performance or a partially blocked impeller or port.
    Blockage in the radiator or pipework.
    Faulty radiator valve.
    Undersized pipework.
    But my first look would be at balancing the system.

I would revisit the cleaning of the radiator too, if you take it out, partially fill it with a hose and rapidly rotate through 180 degerees, in other words from the tappings being on the bottom to the top. This needs doing several times and is only really done with 2 people. Then attach hose and blast it out with the tappings on the top and again on the bottom. Just flusshing with a hose won’t remove the deposits.

Several years ago I wrote some notes for customers and posted them on here too. Amazingly I still get email requests for them from people who Google radiator balancing and it comes up with the forum page!

Happy to send to you, mail me timATj-twren.eclipse.co.uk

cheekyget
    Free Member

Quick fix….close the valves on the rads that heat up first, then open them about a 1/3 … keep doing that on all the other rads till you get heat in that rad.
    It’s only a quick fix… tho

bikebouy
    Free Member

Flush…

Or turn the heating up.

cb

Bear – could I have your notes please?

craigbart at yahoo dot com

We have two newly installed rads (May 17) and they remain cold, plumber mumbled somehting about balancing but hasn’t been back yet. If its easy I’d like to sort it.

Cheers

Splash-man
    Free Member

As above, sounds like balancing.

Try partially closing the outlet valve on the radiator to create some back pressure in the radiator so the hot water stays in the radiator longer allowing it to warm up properly.

Harry_the_Spider

The pipe on the drain side of the radiator is cold. The valve is OK, so I guess there is a blockage in the pipe.

midlifecrashes

If you’re taking radiators off, treat yourself to one of these little kits, so well designed it makes draining down much less stressful.

https://www.bes.co.uk/draineasy-radiator-draining-kit

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bottom half of radiator not getting hot.’ is closed to new replies.